What did Santa bring ya'll??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, now that we are back on-line, let's start the gloats. What woodworking stuff did ya'll get for Christmas?
Other than the gifts I got early, Leigh jig and Woodcraft magazine subscription I didn't get squat other than my favorite gift. Gift certificates, I got 2 to Lowe's, 1 to Home Depot, and my fav. 1 to Woodcraft. Gift certificates or cash are the best gifts, they always fit, and they are actually two gifts in one...the monetary value and I get to go shopping for tools with someone else's money.
Hope everyone had a great Christmas, and it's good to back talk with ya'll again.

Dave:)

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I got a whole bunch of smaller items from my wife... some Bessey clamps, sander sitter, shop apron, laser guide for my cutoff saw, etc.

Got to tell you a funny story about Christmas shopping though. I setup a wishlist on the Rockler site and e-mailed it to my wife. I then sent her Mapquest directions for both Klingspors and Woodcraft in Charlotte. (We are new to the area.) Anyway, my wife bought some stuff from Rockler and went to Woodcraft for some of the other items. While she was checking out a man in line behind her said he sure wished his wife would shop for him there. She turned around and up my list and said "Did you give her a list?" Then she held up the directions in the other hand and said, "And did you print her out directions to the store?' She thought the store clerk was going to fall in the floor laughing. :icon_chee

So I got exactly what I wanted for Christmas.... a wife that follows directions :rolf:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Well lets see. I got a couple of new books, Doug Stowe's Box Making and Lois Keener Ventura's Building Beautiful Boxes with Your Band Saw. A new cordless phone for the shop to replace the Crapsman that finally gave up the ghost. A 100 lb propane tank for those cold Winter evenings. An Akeda DC16 DT jig with the accessory kit that's really sweet. A new DeWalt DW292 18 volt cordless drill to augment my 15 year old 9.6V Makita that is still hanging on. A gift card from HD, A right angle clamp for my Kreg jig and a couple of Freud items that are still on back order till January. Oh yeah.........and an G I Joe with a kung-fu grip!

The only thing I didn't get that I wish I could have was more time to spend in the shop.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I got the cyclone and ductwork as an early present and I also got some Christmas cash that may have the word lathe written all over it. I love the directions to woodcraft story, that is hilarious. Fortunately my wife also knows that she shouldn't try and surprise me with a tool purchase unless it's on a pre-approved list.

Monty

New User
Monty
I got something I can enjoy with the kids:

meade04056_1.jpg

I haven't had one of these since I was a kid myself... ought to be fun, as soon as it warms up a bit! :bconfused :oops:

gator

George
Corporate Member
Nothing really big this year, just the Turining class with Alan Leland and the Sharpening class (lathe tools) with Alan. The Jan classes were filled so I take the turning class the first of Feb and the sharpening class the first of Mar. Also got a 40' retractable three-head extension cord to hang in the rafters of the shop so I don't have to drag a regular estension cord around on the floor from place to place and then rewind it to hang it up on the wall. I did get to see the grandkids and the kids (and spouses) open their goodies though and that is as big a thrill as anything I open.

George

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well. I got the PC Compressor and Nail Gun Combo that I was looking for. Took the compressor through the 15 minutes breakin cycle and had the dog running wild, daughters sceaming at me and my wife asking me what I was tearing down now! That sucker is noisy!

I also got some trinkets from my sister in Toronto. She made a trip to Lee Valley tools and purchased an Lee Valley tape measure and some saddle mitre squares for my "Stocking". Lee Valley tools is one store that I don't miss whenever I get up home to the Great White North.

Now. I just need to come up with a project to try out the new tool arsenal!

Wayne

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Wood, glorious wonderful wood. My wife and son collaborated to give me some of the most gorgeous wood I have ever seen for turned boxes.

The first picture shows from top left a piece of camphor burl, a piece of Tasmanian Rose Myrtle burl under that, a piece of Bois de rose( a rosewood I am not familiar with), a piece of cocobolo and lastly a piece of curly bubinga that you have to see to believe.

The next picture shows 3 pieces of curly bigleaf maple and a box sized piece of Masur birch.

The third picture shows some wonderful curly shedua that my camera refused to capture the curl in, then there is a nice piece of Goncalo alves and another piece of Tasmanian Myrtle but this time curly.

The last picture has two piece of camphor burl, one box sized and one bowl sized piece.

Nice collection of wood, huh? I hope I am up to the task of turning it into something pretty.

Last edited:

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Greetings All,
I'm really glad the site is back up- Thanks Steve for all your hard work!! I hope everyone had a great Christmas. My best gift was gettign to spend time with family and friends, and lots of great food. No big tool gloats to report- not one but 2 laser levels. And I got CASH that I'll put toward a veneering vacuum press, and hopefully a couple of planes I need for my Marsh collection.:eusa_danc

M

McRabbet

Santa brought me a Milwaukee 5625-20 Router (3-1/2 HP, VS 10-22K) that features a wrench to adjust from above the router table. Also got a new Rousseau Table Insert to go with it and two woodworking books by Danny Proulx on cabinet making. My 34 year old daughter gave me a battery powered tape measure so I can hold a beer and measure at the same time. Oh, yeah, one of my sons gave me a bottle of single malt Scotch; that's a tool, isn't it? I also got a note in my stocking that I can go buy $75 worth of goodies -- may need to get some more bits for that new router!

Art

New User
Art
Well I had built a red oak jewerly box for my wife and she got other things of course too....lol .... and she got me an adjustable dado head, a couple of new Oldham Blades and a Frued and a Delta TS200LS so I wouldn't have to drag my big table saw around to job site anymore.... I think she has woodguy disease too....lol.

Art:saw:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
McRabbet said:
Santa brought me a Milwaukee 5625-20 Router (3-1/2 HP, VS 10-22K) that features a wrench to adjust from above the router table. Also got a new Rousseau Table Insert to go with it and two woodworking books by Danny Proulx on cabinet making. My 34 year old daughter gave me a battery powered tape measure so I can hold a beer and measure at the same time. Oh, yeah, one of my sons gave me a bottle of single malt Scotch; that's a tool, isn't it? I also got a note in my stocking that I can go buy $75 worth of goodies -- may need to get some more bits for that new router!

Or some cigars to go with that Scotch......

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Rockler Dovetail jig. then learned that I need to buy an adapter for my DeWalt router to accept the bushing! thumbed through the Rockler catalog, looks like more christmas stuff will be arriving soon! :)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
My wife got me a subscription to Fine Woodworking...oh..and I almost forgot :lol: Jet jointer...sweet!

Big Mike..where did that wood come from? That is toooo cool...especially like the bubinga. I'm sure the picture doesn't do it justice and it is amazing in the picture. Bubinga is definately up there as one of my favorites...

Last edited:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Chris, thanks! The wood is truly amazing as it was very hard to capture the curl with my photo skills. They bought this wood mail order from a website where each piece of wood is pictured front and back and you order the pieces you want. The company is Gilmer Wood Company.

Try this address and put on your bib( to contain the slobber:lol: ):

http://www.gilmerwood.com/Default.htm

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
A wonderful Christmas lunch with the family, with plenty of Christmas spirit.

And, 'cause I was such a good boy, a Woodpecker Quicklift, an Incra MiterExpress and a 19" LCD monitor.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I got a mitre gauge for my Felder sliding table saw. This thing is really nifty: I.e. for making frames joining boards of different widths and w/w or w/o irregular angles, this jig will calculate including length compensation, display the settings and cut the boards .

The problem is I haven't received the complete set yet. Parts of the jig are still somewhere in transit.

Belated Merry Chirstmas to everyone!

Bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors