Charlotte Area Get Together/Finishing the Finish workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I noticed that myself and PM'd Michael about an hour ago. I had never heard about the restaurant you guys picked so I found there website and right on there site,It opens at 5pm on Sunday.
Must be something open that can handle a large table .
Greg

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Just sent a PM to all those coming with all the address details and such-If for some reason you were not included or did not get the email, just PM me and I'll get you the info.

Thanks, and see everybody Sunday

meredj

Jesse
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike,Matt,Pete and Randall for the great demo's. I had no idea of the details behind the french polishing and it was very enlightening as were the others. Thanks Mike for putting this together...

Jesse...

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I want to Thank Michael, Matt ,Pete and Randall for all the great info that was doled out today. I also did not know what was involved in doing a correct french polish. Matt, you got it down. And of course it is always great to see familiar faces and a few new ones also. All in all ,a great day.Wish I could of stayed later.
Greg

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Man I for one had a great time today and would like to thank Michael,Pete and Matt for there great contributions and interesting conversations on their skills. Being new myself to this forum Im sorry I dont remember everyones names but its always a great time when you get together w/ like minded people and have good clean fun, I also hope this will start to become a regular event where we all can share any number of paticular skills in this wonderful ... Hobby for some , career for others. I took a bunch of pix of the event and hope to start a thread tomarrow and show the group. R.K.

nelsone

New User
Ed
It was great seeing everyone! Mike, you put together a great event as always! Matt and Randall provided some very good info. Sorry I had to run, I was really interested in seeing how the table top turned out!

Mike, I loved the designs you put together on the tables!

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Thanks all who came out, it was really fun. I for one like Randall's idea of making this a recurring event. I think we could make it happen on a Quarterly Basis.

Great to see everybody and until next time......

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks again Mike for hosting/demoing and Matt and Randall for your demos. We all learned and left with a new appreciation for a truly smooth finish.

Here are a few pics:

Mikes Walnut panel with a 7 coats of Emtech 6000, wet sanded to 1200 and 3M #1 and #2 polishing compound applied with a slow polisher. The pic doesn't show the shine but you could almost shave in the reflection:

IMG_00093.jpg

Here's Mike putting on the #3 final polish with Randall (Randall Kepley) supervising. Matt (matt furjanic) and Greg (gregsmith) in the background and my left index finger in the lens:BangHead::

IMG_00115.jpg

Jessie (meredj) and John(?) from Camden who came with Susan (Bkind2anmls):

IMG_00142.jpg

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
+1 to all the above!

Other than a fun day what did all of you take away from the demos?

I enjoyed watching Matt's method of French Polishing vs the "traditional" laborious method:

"The application of French Polish is quite an art and still holds a large element of mystery to many. It is a skill that is impossible to master without the apprentice succumbing to many very frustrating months of ‘hands on’ polishing and in my case being told to “Wash it off and do it again!” So for those that have never attempted it, and the many who think it is just a case of applying a number of ‘coats’ of shellac varnish with fine sanding between applications resulting in a piano like finish, believe me it is nowhere near as simple as this. Although not wishing to contradict myself it is a way of ending up with a passable finish."

I think it is an excellent option for small, flat projects where you want a glass like finish. Quick, inexpensive and good looking.

Mike and Randalls demo of buffing out lacquer and conversion varnish was interesting but I still think of them as commercial/production finishing techniques. If you want a finish that will stand up to much abuse there is no doubt that conversion varnish is the way to go. The catch is the high up front cost of tools and materials.

Personally, I still prefer the more natural look of an "in the wood" oil finish.
But that's just me. :wink_smil

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors