Charlotte Area Get Together/Finishing the Finish workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Gotta quick question fellas, I know the 2 techniques that will you will demo but my question is , what is it going to be demoed on? Will it be finished pieces? Test pieces? I my self have done quite a lot of "Piano finishing" ( high sheen ) but I know squat about french polishing but would love to learn. Mr Mckenzie and my self were discussing different techniques on how to do it in tight areas where the big buffer couldnt reach and if you would like I will bring the tools I use to get into those areas. Another thing as far as the polishing goes (buffing) I mainly shoot Conversion Varnish which is one of the most durable products on the market, for those who might not know, it sprays like lacquer flashes off like lacquer and dries like iron. Takes a polish very well and if you would like I would spray some test panels for you guys to demo on and if you need them Ill shoot you some lacquer panels also. If you dont need them thats fine but Ill be happy to help anyway I can. Looking forward to this. Thanks, R.K.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Randall,

Bringing test samples would be great! Especially the tools to polish the tight areas.

I'll hopefully have a walnut coffee table top that will be ready for polishing. It'll be grain filled and sprayed with 4 coats of Target Coatings EMtech 6000, but I'd be interested to see the difference in the final result compared to a conversion laquer.

Thanks for the offer!

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
Sounds good.

I get out of Church at 12:30 though so i'd get there late.

Church is on Scalley Bark near South Blvd so I'm not far away.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
Randall:

As far as the French polishing goes: Demo will probably be done on a test piece or whatever project I have going at the time that needs a finish. Whatever it is, it will be on a flat surfaces, without inside corners. Typically, when French polishing a project, it is done BEFORE assembly, if possible. The top can be done afterwards, but sides, and anywhere there are inside corners are difficult, if not impossible after assembly.
If anyone has a small project that they would like to French polish, bring it along and I'll be glad to demo on it. Just be sure it is final sanded.

Matt...

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
If anyone has a small project that they would like to French polish, bring it along and I'll be glad to demo on it.

Want to play with this? The top has been on my list to refinish for some time now.
Bench_8.jpg

pete

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Pete, That's pretty big. Also there is the problem of inside corners on the top.
Matt...

Yeah, I know but it never hurts to ask! :wink_smil

I was thinking about asking you about this one:
Final_2_-_Lo.jpg

I just forgot to put a smiley along with the request :slap:

pete

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
I shot 2 test boards today for the workshop. 1 is a cherry panel the other is a walnut panel both are shot in coversion varnish and ready to be polished. Cant wait to meet you guys. R.K.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
The two demonstrators are very generous to offer their time and I look forward to attending. A couple of other demos I would be interested in some time would be finishing figured wood (i.e. curly maple) and filling wood. Don't suppose we'd have the time or the demonstrators for that on Sunday? :help:

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
I have a couple techniques that I use on filling wood (small areas and small voids in burls) that I can show; however, they are pretty simple. Basically they involve mixing sanding dust (not saw dust) with epoxy into a paste, which is used as a filler.
Matt...

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Sounds good, Matt. I noticed someone had said they used a wood filler and was interested in seeing that in action. I deal with a lot of red oak and sometimes I would like to have a glass-smooth finish.

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
I see a small bud growing here into a wonderful Flower. I think this Charlotte/surrounding area group (and any other member who would like to attend) should make this a regular/semi regular meeting to share and explore different techniques and methods on a number of topics. Im a 20plus yr veteran in woodworking and theres a lot I feel I could teach and Im sure theres a lot I can learn from you guys also and as I said in my last post Im looking forward to meeting you guys and gals. Maybe it could turn into a deal where we could meet at a different shop maybe every month or every other month. Just a thought. R.K.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey All,

I just updated the beginning of the post to reflect the members we have signed up for this event so far. Please look it over and make sure your signed up. I am going to let the post run till Wed Sept 7th and then I will email all signed up with the address.

If you haven't signed up yet, don't miss out!

Susan, I'll go over grain filling a bit as I've been experimenting with it quite a bit as of late.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Yup - Greg is correct:

Open Weekdays 11am-2am; Sat 12pm-2am; Sun 5pm-2am

What's Plan B?

p

Shamrock

New User
Michael
I vote for Sonny's BBQ on Tyvola Rd.

Thank's for the heads up on the Sir Eds not being opened-what were you thinking Pete:gar-Bi

(yes I just threw Pete under the bus!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS