Binks Spray gun parts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I'm not ready just yet to spray my shop backbench and upper cabinets but I dug out the Binks just to avoid surprises.

I have a Binks Mach I HVLP w/2qt pressure pot. Right now it is set up with a 95P aircap and a 95 (1.5mm) fluid nozzle. I will be shooting Target Coatings' waterborne varnish and think maybe the aircap and nozzle might be too large for proper atomization and spraying. I don't have a Zahn cup so I can check the viscosity of the Target stuff but was thinking that maybe I might get a 94P/94 combination based on a friend's experience. Both combinations use the same needle so I wouldn't have to buy that. I am also looking for paper liners for my 2 qt pressure pot.

Question- any good sources in Raleigh or further east for Binks (now Devilbiss/Binks?) parts at reasonable prices?

sapwood

New User
Roger
Alan, I don't know diddly about spray guns . . . but, the DeWalt/Porter Cable/whatever store on Capital Blvd in Raleigh is also an authorized Devilbiss service center. At least they were the last time my pressure washer broke. :lol: Tom and others give them excellent marks for their service.

2930 Capital Blvd
Raleigh NC 27604
Phone: 919-878-0357

HTH,
Roger

dozer

Mike
You can also try a commercial Sherwin Williams or Duron store also they usally keep the pot liners in stock and and usally have parts for all types of hvlp guns also.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
There is a place on Atlantic Avenue in Raleigh that sells and services Binks gun. I bought my original high pressure gun there. I think the place is called Air systems, but I will have to check. I do know the last time I was on Atlantic Avenue they were still there. If you are familiar with Raleigh/Atlantic Avenue, it is on the left headed towards downtown right before it merges with Capital.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
There is a place on Atlantic Avenue in Raleigh that sells and services Binks gun. I bought my original high pressure gun there. I think the place is called Air systems, but I will have to check. I do know the last time I was on Atlantic Avenue they were still there. If you are familiar with Raleigh/Atlantic Avenue, it is on the left headed towards downtown right before it merges with Capital.

Thanks Travis. This was listed on the Binks site as a Binks distributor. I couldn't tell if they sold retail. Is this the place?

AIR POWER INC.
2304 ATLANTIC AVE
RALEIGH, NC 27629

It looks like it is not too far from the HH reuse center.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is it, and they do sell retail and sell parts. It is a small store in a strip mall type place, but they were very good to deal with and had stuff in stock when I had been there.

woodguy1975

New User
John
We have Air power in Hickory too. They are good to deal with and actually have pretty good prices. If they don't have it they will order it. You'll want to see them when you go to plumb air around your shop too. They sell an ARO mini regulator that really works well and is only $12.

See ya,
John

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Hey, thanks guys. Not sure if I will get a new aircap and nozzle, but hopefully it will give me a chance to talk to some people who know something about spraying. I gotta call them to see if they are open on Saturday. I need some liners for my pressure pot and would like to find a Zahn cup (no one even heard of it around here) to check viscosity, and maybe get some fittings or new hoses to run from the gun to the pressure pot. I used a regular gun to shoot lacquer many, many years ago, so using the Binks HVLP will be a new experience. My cabinetmaker buddy in N VA says there is nothing like it- for him finishing has gone from a chore to a joy. He's getting factory like finishes using the same equipment and waterborne finishes.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Alan, if you put the 94 fluid nozzle on it, you may have to adjust the needle to get a good "air on" before "fluid" pull on the trigger, and the smaller fluid cap may move the needle back where you don't get full open on the fluid. To adjust the needle, you will notice the back of it has a hex nut as well as a hex sleeve. Loosen the nut and then you can screw the needle back into the sleeve a turn or two to shorten it. Then tighten the nut to keep the setting. (I used the Mach 1 for about 8 years spraying polyurethane and epoxy on acft, and we used the 95 cap most of the time.)
As for paint strainers and pot liners, you may be able to find them at an automotive store that carries paint also (In FL, we did a lot of business with Carquest for supplies, but the one here in Goldsboro doesn't carry as complete a line of body working stuff, so you may want to call first).
By cutting down on the fluid control with the 95 cap, you can get a little better atomization, but you will have to make more passes to get a wet coat. Might be worth experimenting with before you spend the bucks.
As for a zahn cup, you may need to go to McMaster Carr, etc. Don't forget you'll need a fairly accurate timer (stopwatch or one of the digital cooking timers also works) and something to hang it from over the paint cup. Not a lot of people use them anymore except for quality control checks on production lines. With all the OSHA & VOC requirements limiting the use of thinning agents, usually you are tied to manufacturer's thinning recommendations in a commercial operation, which makes a zahn cup moot.
Personally, I think the Mach 1 is one of the best HVLP guns out there, but that could be because I am so familiar with it.

HTHs:lol:
Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS