Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I have finally finished the rough out of the arched dining table frame.

LOML found a pic and I dropped it into Sketchup. Took me a while to find the thick walnut then took even longer to sort out curves, dimensions, radii, etc.

Joinery is M&T, except top rail table cross supports are cross lap joints. M&T joints top are twin tenons (haunched), single tenons on bottom joints. All M&T joints to be drawbored.

Though the long curves were roughed on the bandsaw, I have used a lot of hand tools on this project. Planes, chisels, tenon saws (I need a larger tenon saw), rasps. I have become much better at sharpening and found that fitting joints with hand tools is not so bad. Working with curves takes longer than I had thought. I really respect the skills of guys who can eyeball this stuff.

I think I will make walnut button blocks to secure the top. I may bore and insert dowels through the top cross lap joints to secure it in place since that's not a very strong glue joint (end/cross grain).

The frame top is 71 inches long x 37 inches wide. The top will be a 43 inch wide x 78 inch long oval in walnut. The frame members are 1.75 inches thick. I will now round almost all of the edges to give a softer look.

The pics don't capture the color and grain but I will post some in good light once I finish.

Hope to have this done by Thanksgiving...then will start on chairs. Any ideas on chairs to match?? :eusa_thin

Chuck

IMG_19261.JPG

View of Top

IMG_19281.JPG

Closeup Top View

IMG_19291.JPG

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Re: Arched Walnut Dining Table

Looking good dude. Looks like you figured out how to fit the curved shoulders on the M&T's. I think you will finish it way before Tk'giving. Have to get over and check it out one of these days.

Mike

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

Love the frame.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up Have you thought about a glass top to show it off?

eyekode

New User
Salem

Love the frame.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up Have you thought about a glass top to show it off?

I am usually not a fan of glass tables but I second your opinion. The frame is too nice to hide with a solid top!

timf67

New User
Tim

I say give the guy a chance before throwing a glass top on it. He may make a top so nice that you won't even notice the legs! Though if it were me and I had made legs that nice I would probably stop right there, call it a day, and call the glass shop...:gar-La;

b4man

New User
Barbara

I echo the glass top and I hate glass table tops....if I have to clean it everyday that is. Once you get the chairs around the table all that beautiful joinery, grain and design will be hidden:gar-Cr
It is beautiful and you have done a remarkable job:eusa_clap

Barbara

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

Awesome start Chuck!
Definitely don't want to cover up that structure. How about a glass top with wooden placemats? :gar-Bi

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

That is going to be one of the most beautiful tables I've ever seen, no matter what you do for the top. EXCELLENT work! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member

Beautiful job, Chuck. Great wood, the satisfaction of using hand tools, and a stellar result. Don't get much better than that!!

Go

dpsnyder

New User
Dan

beautiful work, looking forward to seeing the final version. Excellent joinery

Dan

Shamrock

New User
Michael

That is incredible! I love it! My wife said the same thing everybody else has about the glass top. I sau if you can make a base that beautiful I can't wait to see the top you come up with. Are you going with solid wood or veneers? Sunburst patterns like the last issue of Fine Woodworking?

Can't wait to see more:icon_thum

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

Chuck, I'm sure you can see from the posts you've gotten that there are a good many people here with a passion for fine joinery & woodworking. Your skills in making this table base are something to be proud of & I didn't intend to start a large debate about the glass top issue, just a suggestion. In the end, it's YOUR table, so I/we're sure whatever you decide it will be OK with us. But we do want to see the end result - and maybe a few WIP photos too!
Good luck

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Chuck, I'm sure you can see from the posts you've gotten that there are a good many people here with a passion for fine joinery & woodworking. Your skills in making this table base are something to be proud of & I didn't intend to start a large debate about the glass top issue, just a suggestion. In the end, it's YOUR table, so I/we're sure whatever you decide it will be OK with us. But we do want to see the end result - and maybe a few WIP photos too!
Good luck

I appreciate all the kind words and the suggestions.

Unless LOML changes her mind it will be a solid walnut top. I have some very nice stock I got from a friend a while back. I think once I soften the base edges and add a simple oval top that it will look okay.

We're visiting family in FL for the week so I have a while to think about it. At the pace I move it will be a while before I get going with the top.

Chuck

DavidF

New User
David

GREAT looking table base so far Chuck, I know what's involved and know it's hard!

cpowell

New User
Chuck

A brief update - thanks Tracy for unlocking tht thread.

I have managed to round the edges of most of the frame pieces, 3 pieces remaining, bottom frame and one side leg. I have fine tuned the drawbore holes as I work on edge rounding. The work is not fast but I can see a little progress.

The wood grain is wild in places and wants to tearout very easily. Any suggestion to handle these areas is appreciated. I will keep at it in the hopes of cleaning things up further.

Here's a pic to show how the softened edges look:

IMG_22672.JPG

Here's a closeup showing a tough grain area:

IMG_22711.JPG

I'll try to keep the updates coming fast enough to prevent another thread lockout! :gar-La;

Chuck

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Re: Arched Walnut Dining Table...Updated base frame rounded

Great looking start to what will be a fine piece of furniture. As for chairs; if you want you can make your wallet lighter by checking with Thos. Moser. I got one of their catalogs, and there are notes all over that you can order many of their items with a wood other than cherry. They list walnut as one of the alternatives. Would look really nice with that table. You may be pushing it to get both the table and some chairs finished by turkey day. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS