TV Stand Just About There!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well....

I have just about got this "simple TV stand" ready for finishing. At least upon completion I can retrieve my stand for my router table from my daughter and she can use this for her new television!

DSC00901.JPG

Many thanks to BobN for jointing the oak for the top! Got to see his great Delta jointer in action!!!!:eusa_clap

Ran into a small problem mounting the top to the carcass. I went and glued up the top shelf before attaching the top and had no room to drill holes for the screw's. Had to rush out and try to find a "cheap" close quarter drill. Here is what I found at Northern Tool and Equipment for $37.45! It turned out to be just fine for what I needed. They had a nice Dewalt but would have cost me $229. There was a Makita at the BORG for $59 - no battery or charger included. So......decided to go cheap as I don't have a need to use this type of drill all that frequently. It was however another excuse for another new tool!!!!:rolf:

DSC00908.JPG

Thanks for lookin'!!!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, that is looking great. I can't wait to see it with a finish applied. Your saga with the drill is all too familar, BTDT, but I bought a right angle drill attachment to go on my normal drill. Cheaper, but I'm sure it doesn't work as well (you need at least 3 hands to run it well) and doesn't qualify as a real new tool purchase :-( Keep us posted as you finish it up.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wonderful Wayne :icon_thum

And I'm sure you daughter will appreciate it for years to come. Looks sturdy enough to hold a 42 inch TV :mrgreen:

Awaiting the finish,
Sapwood

MarkW

New User
Mark
That looks great ! You even got to slip a gloat into the post too. Nothing better than completed projects and new tools.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Wayne,

Love the TV stand. From the photo, you can't even see seams between the pieces. Very nicely done.

Our 15 year-old cabinet TV just blew out, so I'm in the market for something new... maybe a wide screen HDTV (have to rob a bank first). As soon as I get that, I suspect I'll be building a stand of some sort. Can you share any of the construction details?

Ray

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Can you share any of the construction details?

Ray
The overall dimensions are 34” W, 25”H and 18”D. I made the carcass out of 3/8” oak ply and the faceframe and top 4/4 oak. For the shelves, I just routed a dado in the sides. The face frame, is glued to the carcass and I added a few brads in the top face and bottom face (under the molding) to secure it while the glue set up. For the base molding I used 1x3, ½” oak and rounded over the top edge with a 3/8” roundover bit. I used a roundover bit on the bottom edge of the top as well. I glued up the top panel and the face frame using dowels. The top is secured to the carcass with screws. I drilled oversized holes in the carcass top and pilot holes in the underside of the top. No glue. Hopefully it is loose enough to allow for some side to side wood movement. (This is where I ran into clearance problems with the drill :BangHead: and had to make a quick tool run!)

I saw an interesting cabinet design for a 32 plasma HDTV on Tues. at Best Buy. Basically a low profile cabinet for components and a large panel in the back that had the monitor mounted to it. Looked pretty cool. (That Sony TV wasn’t too shabby either!)

Wayne

HardRock

New User
Gil
cabinet rocks, you suck!

nice drill, looks just like my craftsman other than color and label (I picked up on clearance last year).

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking TV stand Wayne. Don't you just love it when a project generates and justifies a new too purchase?

D L

TimB

New User
Tim Baldwin
Very nice Wayne! Since the upstairs is delayed and going to go slower than planned, SWMBO has suggested we get a larger TV for downstairs that our old myopic peepers can see, so you may have inspired my next project. I hope I am as skillful as you at carefully planning my unplanned need for new tools :)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Don't you just love it when a project generates and justifies a new too purchase?

D L

I hope I am as skillful as you at carefully planning my unplanned need for new tools :smile:

TIMB

Actually guys, the drill was somewhat unplanned .....just a good excu....ah.."opportunity!"

As a matter of fact, I had mentioned that I needed to borrow BobN's jointer and that in itself has inspired me to go out and maybe buy the Rigid 6" jointer before May 3rd. Maybe if I buy now and spend a wee bit more I can get the $75.00 gift card for the BORG and that would be a good down payment towards the Dewalt planer I have had my eye on.:slap: The little Rigid jointer gets pretty good reviews from all I have read!

It never ends..............does it???? (Quote from the LOML!)

Wayne

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Yes, eventually but we are pushing up daisies at that point and our kids are selling the tools to buy a new TV for that stand we built that is still going strong.......

Canuck said:
It never ends..............does it???? (Quote from the LOML!)

Wayne

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That is a beautiful looking TV stand and the "oops" is a fantastic idea...

Me: "Honey, I don't know what to do...I already installed the top shelf on the stand and now it's too close to attach the top."

LOML: "Oh, NO! Is there anything we can do to fix it?"

Me: "Well, I seem to remember hearing about some tool called a "close quarter" drill. I guess I can look around and see if I can find one for a bargain." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very clever indeed.

Chuck

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well.......the TV stand has been placed into service. Daughters happy .... so Dad's happy!:lol: (My apologies for the lousy photography!:crybaby2: )

CompletedStand2.JPG

CompletedStand1.JPG

Thanks for lookin'!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS