Taking the plung............

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Starting tomorrow, I am opening my own business. As some of you may know, I have been working with an older gentlemen for the past two years. He is ready to call it quits so that gave me the impetus to get off my duff and get my own place. I have rented a 23 x 55 building in downtown Wilson. I have already moved in and have most things situated and ready for business. I have to get a sign permit (more gov. requirements) tomorrow and a few other things but will be in the shop working on my own. No more splitting the profits. Yea. Seriously, I am really excited about going it on my own and have a positive outlook. Might have a time heating the building this winter but will survive. Wish me well, and a few prayers might help too. If you are in the Wilson area, stop in and see me. I am located on the corner of Lodge and Jones St. 408 Jones St. to be exact.

Mike

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
way to go mshel, i'm so jealous i can't stand it. good luck, i betting you'll make it just fine.

phillip

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Congratulations!:icon_thum I'll bet there are a whole bunch of people are very jealous of you right now.

You can bet, I'll come up and see you right after the holiday.

I really wish you success. This could be your best Thanksgiving

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
My most thankful thing is having a wife who has been very supportive of me both financially and spirtually these past two years. If it wasn't for her, I am confident I wouldn't be "taking the plung". I just couldn't financially hack it right now. Yea, she is still working. Hopefully I can get in the groove and take some of the presssure off her. Anyway, it will be the best Thanksgiving yet. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Mike

M

McRabbet

Mshel,

Congratulations on your move :eusa_clap -- one recommendation, though. Once you get your new sign permit and get the sign drafted, I would suggest you not include your avatar on it...;-) . Best of luck and may there be no sharks where you swim...

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
McRabbet said:
Mshel,

Congratulations on your move :eusa_clap -- one recommendation, though. Once you get your new sign permit and get the sign drafted, I would suggest you not include your avatar on it...;-) . Best of luck and may there be no sharks where you swim...

You think I could get her to be my marketing manager???????

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Good luck Mike!!!!:icon_thum

What type of work are you going to be doing, furniture, cabinets, millwork, all of the above?

How about some shop pics.

I'll have to try and get down to see you, the next time I get to Wilson. Maybe we can get some Bill's BBQ.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I wish you good luck, but I don't think that you will need it. You make beautiful furniture and that's all you need, besides a supportive wife. I don't get by Wilson often, but I may just have to head out that way to see your shop, once you get everything rolling well. Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Congratulations on making the move out on your own, I wish you great success. If you don't already get it http://www.cabinetmakeronline.com/is a great magazine for commercial woodworkers. It is focused on the cabinet industry but has a lot of articles relevant to any type of woodworking. It deals with estimating, accounting, employees, equipment, marketing, you name it. It is free to "qualified professionals" but somehow I get it anyway :lol:

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Way to go Mike, sounds like your living a lot of our dreams. We live on western end of the state, but we go through Wilson occasionally and next time we will try to stop in. Good luck

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Congratulations on taking the plunge Mike, it sounds like you're living the dream.:icon_thum I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors and will stop by to visit your shop next time I get up towards Wilson.

D L

ZMan

New User
Bob
Live the dream -

and don't forget us little people when you become a world famous sawdust maker.

Monty

New User
Monty
Let me add my congrats also. I wish you well. Please keep us informed of your creations... I know that I for one find your work inspiring.

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Congratulations! I started working for myself almost 2 yrs ago and it has been one of the best decisions I ever made. I wish you the same satisfaction and success!!:icon_thum

I make it up to Wilson pretty regularly and will be sure to stop by.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Proud to jump on the congratulations wagon :icon_thum

If you business acumen is half as good as your craftsmanship you'll soon be a millionaire. :mrgreen:

Sapwood

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Thank you all for the kind words and inspiration. My first day went great. Got some work right off the bat and spent the day repairing a set of chairs. I have an order for a set of night stands out of oak and will probably get started on them this week. A refinisher here is funneling a lot of work my way simply because he doesn't have anyone who can do what I do. All the better for me. Most of it is repairing but hey, as long as it pays, I am open. It all spends the same in the end. Again, thank you all and I will be sure to take some photos of the shop and let you all have a look see. I might have to make a map for myself with all the space I have now. LOL Seriously, not having to move something to get to something else is just great.

Have a nice holiday and stay safe.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS