Rolling Pin Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I was asked to if I could repair a rolling pin.This pin was the wife's mothers and it been sitting around for many years unused. One handle and spindle was broken and the others missing. The barrel has holes in the end where a spindle is first inserted into the hole in the handle and then press fitted into the barrel, trapping the handle, but allowing enough play to allow the handle to rotate freely.

The remains of the handles show the handle was a darker wood(walnut?) and the spindle was a contrasting light wood (maple?) The barrel was coated with accumulated dirt and old flour. and a lot of nicks and chips. I cleaned it with DNA and then decided to sand it down. What came off the barrel, gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "wood flour". Finally decided I had done enough to it, but left the discolorations and put a couple or three coats of salad bowl finish.

The handles I turned were rosewood and the spindles were red oak. Rosewood, becuase I like it and already had some. Red Oak because I had long 1" dowel that I could make into two 1/2" dowels with a 3/4" top.:rotflm:

The finish on the handle and the spindles is CA. I thought it would be sturdy and wanted see if it would work on something larger that a pen:widea:

Wayne_sRollingPinSmall.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job Steve. Those colors work well. I just hope Gail does not use it on you :rotflm:.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Mr Steve actually works wood too??? :gar-Bi
and a fine job of it so I see!
Nice wood choices. I love when availability makes my decisions for me. One less thing for my worn out old mind to stumble over.
Any problems finishing with ca on that size piece? I've never used it on anything larger than a pen. And that, for me at least, can be enough! Sure looks sharp, and ought to wear well.
If she does swat ya with it, think twice about fixing any more dangerous weapons for her cache:slap:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wonderful restoration there, Steve!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

That sure is a nice selection of wood for the handles.:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

Sooooo.....glad you are getting in some more shop time, for a change!

I am sure that you will be receiving plenty of compliments on that piece.

You done good, m' man!!!

Wayne

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Looks real nice to me , now to get Gail to make some suger free christmas cookies for you to see how well it works.
dick

J

jeff...

Steve's Mom's rolling pin was broken - hummmm... I really can't imagine why... Those things are freaking dangerous in the hand of a mad woman - just ask my Mom. :crossedlips:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Restored and ready for action :icon_thum
Nice work, Steve and I like the photo presentation of the rolling pin on a quilt . . . nice touch!

Roger

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice job papa smurf!:eusa_clap that looks great.:icon_thum good to see you gettin some shop time in.:eusa_thin may we look forward to more?:wwink:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I saw the rolling pin in person today, and let me tell you the picture doesn't do it justice. The CA finish on the Rosewood handles is perfect. The fit of the handles is tight but free to spin. Overall I am very impressed...and so is Wayne (Kaye, his wife, will be floored by it)
Great job Steve :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS