Opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've been working on a Greene & Greene inspired sofa table. It's almost done. I busted my hump all weekend to get it to where it is now. I still have a few Walnut plugs to set and two M & T joints still to draw bore. And of course the actual finish.
What I need y'all opinions on is the drawer pull I've made. I tried to do a cloud-lift style pull out of curly Maple. What do you think of the proportions. I still have some more shaping and smoothing to do on it, and it is only stuck on the front with double stick tape (in case it's not level).
Here's a pic of the pull:

AlmostfinishedGGtable010.jpg

And a few more of the table for overall sizing:

AlmostfinishedGGtable009.jpg

Here's a shot of (one of) my "design elements" I appreciate the advise on fixing this one :-D

AlmostfinishedGGtable012.jpg

Sorry about the weird pics, I accidentally double clicked "process" while uploading and I guess the system didn't like that. To tired to fix it tonight :BangHead:
Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
IMHO it looks a little to long to me:eusa_thin, of course it might just be the pictures
It looks like it might be a bit overpowering.
And thats just my openion, sorry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Earl, that is why I asked for opinions:-D For reference here is my inspiration piece
LFBTG610_H.JPG

Yes, I know mine doesn't look nearly as good as that...but wait till it's finished :-D :-D
Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
When i look at both its very much like the green & green one, I think its just the differance in the color and the edges not being smothed yet thats making it stand out right now.:eusa_thin
Of course I am sure when you get it finished it will look outstanding, like everything else of yours:eusa_clap

oldnick

New User
christian delciotto
Dave, I think you are right on the money and when it will be smooth and finish it will be an outsanding piece :eusa_clap . I like it a lot ....
Christian.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
and if that doesn't work out, you could just paint it!:eusa_whis :slap: :slap: :slap:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

I think the handle is very noticable but it is not overwhelming. I think with the shapping and finishing, it will appear to be part of the drawer rather than something added on. I like it.

Ray

b4man

New User
Barbara
Dave,
I think it looks GREAT! You have accomplished the G&G style with your own signature. I hope you're proud of yourself!

clowman

Clay Lowman
I like it Dave. Your inspiration piece, is the handle longer and thinner than yours? I'm not sure which I like best. It could be the pictures.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Dave,

I think that after some shaping it will be just fine......it just looks a little fat to me right now if that makes sense. Maybe a little shaping and rounding off the corners will make it look A OK!

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Dave,

I think it looks really close. From the pics, I think the proportions are pretty good. Once you get it finished it will look excellent.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Proportionally it looks very good. I think the softer edges from the longer radius of your curves (particularly at the ends of the pull), as compared with the original pic, gives it a "soft" appearance. I think straight lines with short radius rounded 90s would match the style of the piece better.

And I'd like to add that it looks absolutely beautiful! Great attention to detail. You've created a masterpiece there, all that's left is to finish it (pun intended)! :lol:

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts/opinions. I knew I could count on y'all. Based on a few thoughts and staring at the darn thing for a good while I have concluded that it is too fat. It is just over 1" thick and I think I will take it down to around 7/8" and continue to round the edges a little more. I'm a glutton for punishment, I could have made it out of easy to work Walnut, but NO, I have to make it out of very curly Maple. It hasn't responded well to any hand tools except sandpaper and elbow grease. Tomorrow I'll try the Dremel with a sanding drum on it....before I rip it thinner, in case I screw that up.
Thanks again, Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
I think your changes will be right on the money.

I've never been much of a fan of Greene and Greene style furniture, but you are changing my mind. The peice as an overall really looks great.

Thanks,

John

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Looking good Dave. I would suggest taking your walnut plug at your breadboard end down just a little. I think it would look better if it was only slightly raised. Your quartersawn oak looks very nice. I think when you use a one piece board like that it adds a lot. As already mentioned, make sure you round the edges on that handle good!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Your table is coming along nicely Dave. I like the way you corrected the lower portion of the top apron. This is going to be one awesome table once it is finished.

D L

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Well you asked for my opinion so here goes,

IT SUCKS..... IN A REAL GOOD WAY.

ekim

J

jeff...

I like it! But if you don't, you could always put it on your truck and bring it to my house. I would be more than happy to take it off your hands...

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
I like the size and the "cloud lift" design. But I would suggest that you make another one with the grain running the same as the drawer front and the apron around it. That way it would blend in and look more like it just grew there.:lol:

The grain match on the drawer and apron is really well done. Did you cut the drawer front from the apron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS