Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunsette

New User
Sun
Hi, everyone! I just want to give a quick intro. I'm excited to be here and eager to learn as much as I can about the never-ending possibilities and world of woodworking. I'm a self-taught beginner with the very basics in knowledge as well as tools (circular saw, power sander, jigsaw, miter saw, handsaw, drill, etc). I'm sure I will picking up new tools & have plenty of questions along the way. I am very much interested in carving. I have a pocket whittling blade, a set of flexcut palm tools, and a foredom power bench carver on the way that I am very excited about. I am currently in search of exotic blanks or blanks with interesting color and grain patterning 3" x3" x 6" or larger at reasonable prices. If anyone has any good advise or if there is anyone who can steer me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. I look forward to getting to know some of you & talking shop with you all!:icon_thum

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Packard Woodworks in Tryon is a good source for blanks and carving tools. They don't have a show room, but they do have a pick up counter. They are down the hill from Sidestreet Pizza on the left.

Welcome to NCWW!

Adam

Sunsette

New User
Sun
Packard Woodworks in Tryon is a good source for blanks and carving tools. They don't have a show room, but they do have a pick up counter. They are down the hill from Sidestreet Pizza on the left.

Welcome to NCWW!

Adam

Thanks, Adam! I will have to go and check Packard out. It would be great to have some place local to pick them up. I just browsed around on your facebook page. You have some very nice pieces, beautiful pens! I also love to write, so I may just have to purchase a pen from you one of these days.

Thank you ALL for the very warm welcomes! It's great to meet you!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Sunsette,

First a warm welcome from a fellow 'westerner' -- I'm just up the hill in Hendersonville. Another source of good turning materials and exotic woods is Cormark Internations, located on Reems Creek Road in Weaverville, just a few miles north of Asheville. They have an excellent selection of turning materials and cutoffs, as well as domestic and foreign hardwoods.

Another person of interest in our area has some beautiful carving here on the site -- check out the threads from Stave (Mark Strom), as well as his website http://stromcarver.com/. Mark has his studio in Asheville and has given classes in relief carving.

Welcome to the website.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Welcome, Sun! It's wonderful to have another lady join us. Please ask any questions you need to, everybody here is very helpful.

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to our little corner of the web, glad to have you with us. There are lots of good folks here and there is always someone willing to share some knowledge. Please do not be shy, feel free to join in a conversation or ask any question.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Welcome Sunsette Hope you enjoy the site. Always nice to see more woodworkers from the western part of the state.
My sister and her husband recently moved to the Tryon area. You are a short hop from about anything you might need there.
For exotics I'll second McRabbet's suggestion of Cormark. Their web site is decent but can't show what all they really offer - only a short drive and a little time going through their warehouse can do that. Jason and the other guys there are great people to work with. They supply a lot of other wood vendors with exotics as they import directly.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
Welcome Sunsette Hope you enjoy the site. Always nice to see more woodworkers from the western part of the state.
My sister and her husband recently moved to the Tryon area. You are a short hop from about anything you might need there.
For exotics I'll second McRabbet's suggestion of Cormark. Their web site is decent but can't show what all they really offer - only a short drive and a little time going through their warehouse can do that. Jason and the other guys there are great people to work with. They supply a lot of other wood vendors with exotics as they import directly.

Welcome to the site Sun.
If you are ever down close to Gibsonville stop in the Hardwood Store. I go in often and see end cuts, odds and end cuts of all species of woods. I don't want to commit them but I bet they sell them cheap. I buy them for turning small bowls and small projects. Would be great for carving. These are great people to deal with. I live in Raleigh and have made the drive there for 15 years.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW. Anything you are curious about, jst ask. I haven't seen a question go unanswered on here.

Sunsette

New User
Sun
Sunsette,

First a warm welcome from a fellow 'westerner' -- I'm just up the hill in Hendersonville. Another source of good turning materials and exotic woods is Cormark Internations, located on Reems Creek Road in Weaverville, just a few miles north of Asheville. They have an excellent selection of turning materials and cutoffs, as well as domestic and foreign hardwoods.

Another person of interest in our area has some beautiful carving here on the site -- check out the threads from Stave (Mark Strom), as well as his website http://stromcarver.com/. Mark has his studio in Asheville and has given classes in relief carving.

Welcome to the website.

Thanks, Rob! I will have to pop into Cormark as well. I'll check out the website, too. Gorgeous pup in your profile pic. What a coat! ( I was a pet groomer for six years.). :)

Sunsette

New User
Sun
Welcome to the site Sun.
If you are ever down close to Gibsonville stop in the Hardwood Store. I go in often and see end cuts, odds and end cuts of all species of woods. I don't want to commit them but I bet they sell them cheap. I buy them for turning small bowls and small projects. Would be great for carving. These are great people to deal with. I live in Raleigh and have made the drive there for 15 years.

I will, Wes! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors