Jointery Class Pics!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
Okay, Barb, fess up and tell us what tool you are going to try to sneak on the cruise ship . Now vacations take on a whole new meaning - how many days can I be away from my shop without severe withdrawal symptoms.:lol:

Insom, you better watch out. Or maybe we better watch out - now theree are two of you that we just can't take at face value :lol:

Last edited:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
At the Charlotte show, I spent some time watching the demo at the Lie-Nielson booth. (I saw Insom and Woodguy spending a lot of time there, too :) ) Anyway, I had to try to make dovetails like they did with little pins..I thought it looked so cool. I was pretty happy with the way they turned out...thanks to John setting me off in this direction! :) (Yes, I got a little aggressive with the dozuki :lol:)

SmallPins.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang that is what I call needle pins. That is some fine dovetailing. I wish I could do that.

Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Nice work Chirs! I got motivated too and tried to do the needle pins for the top drawers of the chest. Since they are rabbeted halfblind dovetails I couldn't get the knife in to mark out the sockets. I did buy a new carving knive to help with that problem for next time. ;)

The LN demonstrator does all the shows for them. He is an awsome dovetailer. I think he has had a little bit of practice though. He ragged on me a bit about using the Adria saw. The LN saws are much easier to start than the Adria, but the Adria cuts way faster. I did take a little of the set off my saw and it help a good bit.

John

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
yah, when I was acquiring tools for your class, woodcraft was having a sale on the Swiss carving tools. I bought a carving knife to use as a marking knife since the sale brought it down to the same price. It is not quite as thin as the one the LN guy used, but it worked.

By the way, the demo guy was great. I really had a hard time getting to watch any demos with the double stroller and the twins. When I started asking questions about the needle pins, he invited me to come into the booth and he stepped outside the booth to do the demo. I had a front row seat and he did the demo for everyone from the aisle. It was really the only demo I was able to watch, but that made it well worth going. He really went into a lot of detail, imo, and I picked up a few little tricks on using a plane. I just wish I could have thanked him by buying that LN 50 deg. 4 1/2 plane.

Did he talk Monty out of the Adria? I can't imagine that many could saw out those dovetails faster than him. Once that saw was started, he was moving..and that was through cherry and maple :) How did you take some of the set off?

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice lookin pins there! I tried John's Adria again now that he took out some of the set, and I will say it's MUCH easier to start. To decrease the set, it just takes a couple of light passes on the diamond stone along the side of the teeth. I think with that simple change, the LN and the Adria are pretty tough to choose between... but I believe I see a little LN coming my way in the not-too-distant future!!! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors