Jointery Class Pics!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, folks we have pics so it did happen. :) We had a great day. Everyone did very well. Doing good fitting hand cut dovetails is an act of patience. Thanks to Barbara for bringing food and drinks. That was excellent. I keep asking her to come next week during the chair class to bring food, but for some reason she'd rather be on her cruise. :lol: :lol:

Here is the class photo: Starting from the left it is Mark, Me, Chris, Brad, Rob, Pete, and Barbara.

classphoto.jpg

The first goal was to learn how to cut straight. Once we got them sawing straight it was time to do the first joint. A through dovetail. Here was the goal.
thrudovetail.jpg

Here was the success of Chris. Give him a big hand. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap The only one brave enough to let me take a photo.

chrisjoint.jpg

After lunch we did a second joint. The half blind dovetail. We did the tails first on the through so we were well set to conquer the half blind dovetails. Again here was the goal. This was mine and probably some of my best work until I tried to assemble the joint backwards and ruined the edge of two of the tails. I was checking the layout to see how close to symmetrical I was. I was little off.

halfblinddovetail.jpg

Sadly no one was brave enough to shair their half blinds as well. Maybe someone from the class will post of photo of their joint. (Hint Hint Guys)

We had a blast. We covered some other things along the way. We talked scraper sharpening, chisel shaping and sharpening, and lots of other fun wwing projects. I think everyone had a great time and hopefully walked away with something learned.

There are lots more photos in my gallery!!! Take a look at them hard at work. :D

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Looks like you had a full house John. I'm sad I missed it. I'm looking forward to the next class! (Hint hint)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That looks like one big happy bunch of NCWW's and it sounds like everyone had a great time. I am glad to hear the class turned out so well.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Now that's a happy bunch of wwers :icon_thum

And the photo reveals no visible signs of disease :mrgreen:

Sapwood

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thanks John for being a wonderful host and patient teacher. HOWEVER, if it wasn't bad enough that I contracted the "dread Woodguy disease" over the Internet, I've been reinfected by contact! There's no cure for this strain. The good news is you and the other guys are worth every itch and ache!:mrgreen: Thanks again!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
That's great, sounds like y'all had a great day. I'm envious because I really wanted come - maybe next time....

M

McRabbet

Indeed, we all had a great time and John was most generous with his time and expertise. After our tryouts cutting straight lines that were square on some test pieces with both western and Japanese saws, we all ventured into the through dovetails -- each of us had our minor goofs, but I must agree that Chris's was the best of the six students. Then, John showed us the half-blind ones. I didn't get a chance to unload my camera's memory last night (I got home from the class at 7:00 PM, changed clothes, walked the dog and we joined friends for dinner at 7:30), but I'll try to add some shots to John's good ones here -- Again, we all had a great time and enjoyed our tutorials!

P.S. -- Cathy -- I have some freebie stuff from John for you as promised!

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
First off, I have to say that John ROCKS! Thank you very much...I cannot express my appreciation for you taking your busy time to help all of us noobies out!!! :lol:

Anyway, since nobody is willing to share their half blind dovetails...here's mine....they look a little loose, but I think they will suffice...btw, the poplar from Lowe's is nice, isn't it???

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2225&original=1&c=145

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:

cmartinson

New User
chad
wsd1089 said:
First off, I have to say that John ROCKS! Thank you very much...I cannot express my appreciation for you taking your busy time to help all of us noobies out!!! :lol:

Anyway, since nobody is willing to share their half blind dovetails...here's mine....they look a little lose, but I think they will suffice...btw, the poplar from Lowe's is nice, isn't it???

Cheers,
Chris
Now, this kids got skills:);-):)

woodguy1975

New User
John
wsd1089 said:

Anyway, since nobody is willing to share their half blind dovetails...here's mine....they look a little lose, but I think they will suffice...btw, the poplar from Lowe's is nice, isn't it???

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for posting a pic. I was hoping someone would be bold enough. Just practice a few more joints guys and I'll swear you'll be making joints better than mine.

Thanks,

John

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:rolf: You guys are so easy! :eusa_danc That picture of the half blinds is of my store bought dresser! I wish I could claim those, but maybe with some practice.

After I got home Saturday, I pulled out some red oak to try some through dovetails....as if the poplar wasn't difficult enough, the oak was quite humbling!

It really was fun meeting everyone . . .

Chris

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
OK...I uploaded a picture of what I really did... :mrgreen:

P1010002-33pct.jpg

Note how I have the tails 'x'd out on the half blind dove tails...almost a big oops. Thanks a lot to McRabbet, who looked up from his work to see me about to make a big mistake! He stopped me just in the nick of time. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors