Frank's 3 min. DT Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
OK, that was pretty incredible!!!

And now I really feel dumb. I have purchased three different soft blow type malletts and the experts just grab a claw hammer for persuasion!!! GRRRRR!!!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
You've got nerve buying soft blow mallets, you should be able to pound things with those meathooks that you call hands:rotflm:.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

OK, that was pretty incredible!!!

And now I really feel dumb. I have purchased three different soft blow type malletts and the experts just grab a claw hammer for persuasion!!! GRRRRR!!!

DavidF

New User
David
I know I shouldn't say this, but when I first saw his video I thought he was more doing it to show off than to show somebody who might be at the level where they would be buying a video, how to do it.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
That was not bad for a beginner. I think I have to find another hobby...I'll never be anywhere near that good. Reminds me of the Maloof lecture videos. These guys do incredible things and all by eye. I measure 5 times and still screw it up. :icon_scra

Doug

woodguy1975

New User
John
It is pretty amazing, but remember that it was PINE. I'd like to see him do a video with maple and knock them together like that. It wouldn't go together. Frank can do some amazing stuff quickly, but it is nothing anyone couldn't do with practice.

I'm happy with my 10 minute dovetails. :)

John

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I was truly amazed, and only a little less so after reading about the right angle blade on his bow saw. I watched the video before reading the footnotes and couldn't figure out how he cut out the waste with such a wide blade and without turning the saw!!!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
My jaw dropped. I didn't know wood came in "like soft butter"!

He continues to be an inspiration to me. I also hope the press will help the cause of getting that 90 degree saw blade come back.

And Delta Unisaw back to "Made in USA"!!! I was so happy to see that too. Not to mention a pretty slick looking new saw.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A couple years ago I saw Frank do a demo at a TWA meeting. He did his DT's in pine. They were fast, the wood was soft and forgiving, and the fit was just OK. He didn't use that fancy bowsaw blade (that's a sweet idea!!!) Better than I could do in a half hour, though. I do like his method of pins first then tails :icon_thum

Dave:)

cpw

New User
Charles
Thanks. The link in my email didn't work.

I love it! "Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer.":rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Thanks. The link in my email didn't work.

I love it! "Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer.":rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

That was funny, but boy can that cause you problems with hardwoods!!!

Break out the bigger hammer and then break out some new wood because something is going to slip. :)

DavidF

New User
David
I use a coping saw to remove the waste in my DTs, that blade rotates 90 degs as well. I have to say, if I had made those DTs that piece would have gone straight in the bin! Not good enough even for paint grade, you would spend as much time filling the gaps as you would have spent making them nicely in the first place. I hope when he's off camara he makes a better job!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think he was on the Woodwright's Shop once. He took a little longer than 3 minutes, but they came out much better. The video was clearly for bragging purposes. Let's face it, if you're going to paint it, why bother with dovetails?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Here's an idea for a new product - pre-cut dovetails. Two long strips of wood (8' lengths, like molding) with the tails and pins already cut by a machine. Measure how much you need (e.g. 6") and cut that off. Each strip already has biscuit slots cut. Cut biscuit slots in your drawer side, and join it with the dovetail strip. Cut biscuit slots in your drawer front, and join it with the pin strip. Done! Sure, you'll have a glue line, but nobody will see it because they're looking at the perfect dovetails!!!

I'll call it E-Z-Tail. Available in all the popular wood species (oak, maple, walnut, cherry). And I'll leave Frank in the dust......

Glennbear

Glenn
Let us not forget that the editor was at Frank's shop to do an article on european type saws. I think that the video was more about the usage of the saws rather than a demo of high speed precision joinery. :wsmile:

cpw

New User
Charles
I've seen video of Frank doing dovetails in 1/2" hardwood with a marking gauge, pencil, dovetail saw, and chisels. It didn't take him much longer than this, maybe 5-6 minutes, and he was explaining as he went. The resulting box was the size of a small drawer, and the fit was MUCH better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS