Frank's 3 min. DT Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Here's an idea for a new product - pre-cut dovetails. Two long strips of wood (8' lengths, like molding) with the tails and pins already cut by a machine. Measure how much you need (e.g. 6") and cut that off. Each strip already has biscuit slots cut. Cut biscuit slots in your drawer side, and join it with the dovetail strip. Cut biscuit slots in your drawer front, and join it with the pin strip. Done! Sure, you'll have a glue line, but nobody will see it because they're looking at the perfect dovetails!!!

I'll call it E-Z-Tail. Available in all the popular wood species (oak, maple, walnut, cherry). And I'll leave Frank in the dust......

Great idea Bas, but aren't you forgetting in both your posts that Dovetails are not supposed to be decorative!! They just are! They are there for strength and in your first post, painted or not, a big drawer should have dovetails and in the second "E-Z tails" you would have an end grain glue joint. Maybe we should take a leaf out of Franks book and just rough 'em out and be done - they'd be just as strong:nah: Having said that, I want in on the E-Z tails business!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
They are there for strength
I think Wood magazine did a test on the various joints (dovetail, boxjoints, rabbets, biscuits etc.) a while ago. I believe the boxjoints were strongest, not because of the mechanical properties (dovetails are far superior in that aspect) but because of the increased glue surface. If all I had was hide glue, then dovetails would be the right joint every time for drawers. With PVA glue, something as basic as a butt joint would probably last forever, at least for most drawers.

Yes, the joint of the E-Z-Tails strip with the drawer side is end grain, so you definitely need biscuits. It certainly wouldn't be terribly strong, although I have yet to break a biscuit joint without completely ripping the wood to shreds. Since we want to make things look all fancy schmancy, we can even make "pinned biscuits" :rolf:

You know, the E-Z-Tails was just another one of my nonsense ideas, but it might actually work! For strength, a half lap would be better than a biscuit, not quite as easy to make but still much quicker than dovetails. :eusa_thin

DavidF

New User
David
I think Wood magazine did a test on the various joints (dovetail, boxjoints, rabbets, biscuits etc.) a while ago. I believe the boxjoints were strongest, not because of the mechanical properties (dovetails are far superior in that aspect) but because of the increased glue surface. If all I had was hide glue, then dovetails would be the right joint every time for drawers. With PVA glue, something as basic as a butt joint would probably last forever, at least for most drawers.

Yes, the joint of the E-Z-Tails strip with the drawer side is end grain, so you definitely need biscuits. It certainly wouldn't be terribly strong, although I have yet to break a biscuit joint without completely ripping the wood to shreds. Since we want to make things look all fancy schmancy, we can even make "pinned biscuits" :rolf:

You know, the E-Z-Tails was just another one of my nonsense ideas, but it might actually work! For strength, a half lap would be better than a biscuit, not quite as easy to make but still much quicker than dovetails. :eusa_thin

Good point on the box joint there Bas. I still like the idea of the E-Z Tails! in this world of making something as fast as possible it could be a big hit. I even imagine that after the 5th set of "real" DT's that all of us could be tempted! If they were good enough, you wouldn't have to glue them (with the mech strength they have) and that would save drying time and more importantly, clean up! I think a half lap to the end of the drawer side is the way to go, a simple set up to cut and glue. Or you could dovetail the E-Z Tail to the end of the drawer side to avoid the glue and the cleanup.....................:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS