Finished my walnut slab bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Picked up a nice slab of walnut when I stopped in at the WoodWorking Source a couple months ago. I had never been and kept hearing great things about it. My wife and I were heading from Chapel Hill to Cornelius and it was right on the way. Thanks to Rick for letting us poke around and find an sweet slab. I will definitely stop in again! Thanks also to Scott Smith for firing up one of his big machines to plane this bad boy down and for the walnut for the legs.

I used some epoxy to fill the voids, cracks and bark(to keep it on). I added some bowties to hopefully keep the cracks from widening. Just some BLO with some wiping varnish.

front.JPG

front_low.JPG

angle.JPG

top.JPG

left.JPG

middle.JPG

right.JPG

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wow - Wes that really looks sharp. I like how you did the butterfly's and the spline on the end of the top slab too.

T

toolferone

Really great looking bench! Nice work. How deep are the butterfly splines?

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Thanks, Sorry I missed the lumber run yesterday. I signed up for Roy's Mystery mallet class and had a fun time doing that.

The butterflys are 5/16th or so. Between the extra amount of them, plus the splines on the end and the epoxy filling the voids, I hope it holds well. When we tests it as Scott's place, it was about 12%.

Wes

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Beautiful looking bench. Love the walnut and the butterfly joints. Awsome work.

Lyell:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Spectacular work. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I'd like to try a slab bench like that someday.

Brian.

Sully

New User
jay
Nice job. I really like the butterfly joints and the contrast between the sapwood and heartwood. :thumbs_up

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
What a beautiful bench, Wes. And it goes very well w/ the oriental feel of the panel behind it. :icon_thum

Bill

Kicbak

New User
Wes
The top is a little over 1.5". The "artwork" in the background is a panel in the window. It's from Ikea and was supposed to be a room divider with 2 others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors