Finished Display Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
My favorite word in the title is "finished". I under - estimated the amount of work involved in the cabinet severely. I'm happy to be moving on. The door mullions were all hand coped which was a new experience for me.

Thanks for taking a look............

Stephen

Attachments

• display cab 1.JPG
    display cab 1.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 185
  • display cab.JPG
    display cab.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 172
  • display cab 2.JPG
    display cab 2.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 178

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that's beautiful. I can't imagine ever finishing a pieces like that. The Elves would revolt. We need some more details. What type of wood, and finish schedule? Are there shelves, are they solid or glass panelled? Is it lighted on the inside? How thick of glass did you use in the doors?
Time to spill the beans :-D

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful! Love the through tenons in the doors....

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
I'm Sorry - I don't know why i didn't do a better job of describing.

I built this Cherry cabinet to house my wife's collection of Dept. 56 houses. Somewhat of a rediculous thought since the total count of houses she has never been disclosed to me.

Back to the cabinet...it is lighted with 2 LED lights in the top. (Yah, they had LEDs in 1776). I deviated from the plan which called for solid wood shelfs. I made shelving frames and inserted 1/4 glass into the frames so hopefully the light will permiate through the shelves to the various levels. The shelves line up with the mullions.

The finish, not my strong point, consisted of the following:
raise the grain with pure water & sand to 220
wash coat of dewaxed shellac - double dose end grain.
Dye with Golden Maple somethin-nor-other
quick coat of shellac to stiffen up the hairs then knock off with pad.
2 coats of wipe on BLO/Tung oil mix ( I added a few drops Japan drier just to jit er done)
1 coat of satin wipe on finish

I used Durham's glazing putty to hold the glass in place. I was fixing on using full restoration glass right up till I got the price. I think Benhiem's is the only co. making it and they are darn proud of it. I cut cardboard templates and had a glass co. cut it to size out of of plain ole glass.

The plans were a big dissapointment. I paid $ 60.00 for them from some folks that get regular air time in FW and others. I think a freshman art class could do better. I like to work from plans and just get to it. Its frustating when you can't trust the plans and have to stop and figure 10 steps ahead.

Once I get it in place I'll get more pics in here.

Thank,

Stephen

Last edited:

dozer

Mike
Beautiful job :eusa_clap thats something to be really proud of. How much did using the japan drier speed up the drying time on the blo/tung oil mixture ? I have been thinking about doing the same thing but wasn't sure if it would make it dry that much quicker.

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
Beautiful job :eusa_clap thats something to be really proud of. How much did using the japan drier speed up the drying time on the blo/tung oil mixture ? I have been thinking about doing the same thing but wasn't sure if it would make it dry that much quicker.

The japan drier sped it up quite a bit. The first coat was not dry enough to work with overnite - I don't think the weather was helping me either. Adding a couple drops had it tack free in 4-6 hours.

Stephen Stidd

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
That's beautful work, Stephen. That had to be awful finishing a piece that large. I'm sure the LOYL is happy with it and both of you should be proud, you of your work and she of you.
ken

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Very well done and I must agree with some others, I like the thru tenons. Your wife must be very happy with such a great piece.

tv

skeeter

New User
Charles
Awesome job Stephen. I like everything about it from style to finish. Thru tennons and dovetails really give the project a nice touch. Great job.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
That is a stunning piece of work there Striker!!! Now I really have something to look forward to next time I am in Wilmington. If it looks that good in pictures It must be awesome in real life.

Jerry

sapwood

New User
Roger
Big in size and craftsmanship Striker :icon_thum
I don't see how it could look any better!

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS