Box with HANDLE finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, I finished putting the shellac and lacquer finish on my Purpleheart and curly R.Oak box. I decided to go with the handle despite the jury being on the fence. I think it came out almost perfectly 50/50 in the hinge vs. handle inquiry. I did lower the height per several recommendations. The overall design is mine, but with inspirations from a book on loan from the TWA library by Doug Stowe "Making Boxes". The curly R. Oak was rough 4/4 stock I found a few years back at Crapital City Lumber and used in my Ent. Center. I resawed it and book matched the panel and inlay. And the PH was stock I had in the shop, I always have PH in the shop, I just love the color. My wife says it's the ugliest box I've ever made, and it looks like a spider. Good, I may get to keep this one and not have it given away as a gift :-D
Purpleheart_curly_R_Oak_box_013.jpg

Purpleheart_curly_R_Oak_box_016.jpg

Purpleheart_curly_R_Oak_box_018.jpg

Thanks for looking and any additional design critique :icon_thum

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's funny I had thought about something along those lines. But I don't have any Ebony and don't know how to turn a sphere, let alone two that match.

J

jeff...

"My wife says it's the ugliest box I've ever made, and it looks like a spider."

:eusa_thinI'm not seeing it - does it have more than 4 legs? I think it's pretty cool - the beginning design principles of a rocket - would someone build a rocket please:-D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:rotflm: :rotflm: You're right it is lacking about 4 legs to be a spider. I'll have to point that out to my wife. The girl with the Entomology and Plant Pathology degree should know better.
A rocket base...now that's a thought :eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Well Dave, Regardless of what your wife thinks, I like it. However, I gotta tell you, when I read your post, I couldn't stop laughing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I could just picture a big spider in the middle of the inlay on the front of the box. I even went out and found a picture on IAP that shows a spider pen that Jim Boyd designed and turned and added the link so you could make one like it for your box. :rolf:
Wonder what she would say if you actually did it? :eusa_thin :eusa_thin
Great job on the box!!

Here is the link: penturners.org - Curly maple with a unbubbled black spider

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I think it is pretty cool. I like seeing people stretch their design sense. This box has a lot going on. Keep up the good work, Dave!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

I think the box is great. I'm also a fan of woods like the Purpleheart. (Now, for heavens sake, don't tell your wife that we disagreed with her, but...) I think we're all pretty much in agreement here, we really like the box.

Ray

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very Cool - Makes me think of George Jetson :-D:-D

Love that curly oak :eusa_danc

pete

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Awesome looking box Dave.:icon_thum I love the way you incorporated the brass pins to attach the legs and the handle. How did you finish the inside of the box?

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John
Very nice box Dave!!!:icon_thum I like the legs and the inlay.

One thing though. The brass pins sticking up...... I would have filed the flush with the handle or brought them down much closer to the handle. It just looks like an opportunity to scrap a knuckle.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Great job Dave:icon_thum Looking good I also do not se a spider resemblance.
As you know I have some ebony if you like.:icon_thum

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dave, that box has style and a definite sense of balance :icon_thum

I dropped by Barouke's in Wilm yesterday and they had some similiar boxes. Lacked the brass pins for attaching legs, but they didn't look any better than yours. :cool:

Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I too really think that is has definitely GOT STYLE!!!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I especially like the legs and the way that you attached them to the corner of the box. Very unique and classy!

Nice work again, DaveO!!!

Wayne

dozer

Mike
I think it turned out really nice Dave. I agree with Big Mike I like seeing someone go beyond the boundaries of normal. I might have to try my hand at some boxes well after my hand heals that is :oops:. I fell inspired by all the boxes you have been making lately :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS