Black Finish (white vinegar & steel wool) Update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Re: Black Finish

Read through Brian's article. He used some kind of powder to get the tannins to where the reaction would work.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

I figured I would give the home brew a chance. After seeing what steel does to fresh sawn oak, I figure it might just work. Red Oak smells a lot like puke anyways so what's a little vinegar going to hurt?

If the home brew don't work - I got lots of other things to try thanks for all the tips. Although I am surprised Fred didn't chime in about dragging broads around a mud hole or something...

:no:never drag broads thru the mud! they turn red.:gar-Bi then you turn black. [black and blue that is] however dunkin or dippin is perfectly exeptable [sort of]:rotflm:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

FYI... after researching a little more - I'm supposed to let the home brew sit till the steel wool is gone - don't know how long that will take but I'll give it another try then.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Update...

I let the home brew finish "cooking" took about a week for the vinegar to eat up all the steel wool and clean the rust off 2 small chunks of steel I had sitting in the bottom of the mason jar. I transferred the nasty blackish brown brew from one mason jar to another through a coffee filter. I started this experiment with a close to full quart mason jar, by the time I transferred it, I had a little over 1/2 a quart left. I poured a little in a cleaned out (with vinegar) windex bottle and sprayed liberally it on a scrap piece of RO. To my amazement it turned the scrap piece of RO completely black after the brew dried. I'll snap a pic later after I'm sure it's good and dry. Anyways it appears the home brew really does work... I just needed to wait for the vinegar to eat up all the steel wool... in my case it was about a week.

Thanks

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
well not as black as I thought... The top one was sprayed, twice the bottom once, both coated with a little BLO. Little to no penetration either... Odd how a second coat of home brew turn RO brown... very inconsistent :(

P1010140.JPG

P1010136.JPG

Thanks

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Jeff,

I use Behlens Solarlux black dye for a first coat then I use the india ink on top. I usually add the India Ink to my top coat and apply it after the Behlens. The reason for using both the dye and the ink is the dye gets in to the wood so a scratched surface where the ink is will not show up because the dye soaked into the wood, In addition, the the dye leaves a sort of grey black color and the India ink makes the wood dark black with no hint of grey

Regards,

Bill

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
HOW DOES THE INDIA INK THING WORK? IVE BEEN HEARING ABOUT IT FOR YEARS BUT NEVER REALLY GOT THE SPECS. WHAT KIND/S OF TOP COAT CAN YOU MIX IT WITH? CAN IT BE USED OTHER WAYS THAN MIXED WITH TOPCOAT? NEVER REALLY HAD A REASON TO DIE WOOD BLACK BUT SINCE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT IT THOUGHT ID ASK.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
HOW DOES THE INDIA INK THING WORK? IVE BEEN HEARING ABOUT IT FOR YEARS BUT NEVER REALLY GOT THE SPECS. WHAT KIND/S OF TOP COAT CAN YOU MIX IT WITH? CAN IT BE USED OTHER WAYS THAN MIXED WITH TOPCOAT? NEVER REALLY HAD A REASON TO DIE WOOD BLACK BUT SINCE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT IT THOUGHT ID ASK.

Walt I started a thread on India Ink here --->http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f55/india-ink-26358/ I got some real good advise on how to apply it.

My order of India Ink came in yesterday. As soon as the wife finishes drying my work clothes and I run up to dollar general for some gloves, I'll be off to the races making the tables at the tale end of this thread black ---> http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/cull-wood-table-26041/index2.html

I'll try and keep you guys posted on India Ink lessons learned.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS