Search results

1. CHESSSPY

Alan & Milissa ("Bobbin Boy") in Liberty NC for demos this Sunday

BOBBIN BOY (https://www.facebook.com/Bobbin-Boy-426941424134197/timeline/) will be at Rising Meadow Farm in Liberty, NC on Sunday, 27th September. - Alan will be discussing restoration, repair & conservation of antique and modern fiberarts equipment. - Milissa will be Great Wheel spinning &...
  2. CHESSSPY

PE from Raleigh -or- Oriental to Asheville by 9th May

Anyone coming this way? A young lady has contacted us: she needs a drum carder moved across the state and it can meet here in Asheville with someone headed to Berea (where she is) on 9th May. If necessary it can be moved from Raleigh or Oriental to Mocksville then we could get it there. More...
  3. CHESSSPY

We need a blacksmith / metalworker for small batch production job

We are working quite a lot with great wheels in our new business, and want to contract out the work for spindles. They look like this: We just need the metal part, and would make the pulleys ourselves. Also there is the possibility of making axles for flyer assemblies on flax & Canadian...
  4. CHESSSPY

Alan & Milissa: working with wood again / new ventures

Hi, folks, After a year of same old, same old, we have taken on a new venture and are restoring / repairing / replicating spinning wheels & looms. This means we are doing interesting stuff again...it was a long year of chess repairs and tin whistles. :( Right now our main info feed is here...
  5. CHESSSPY

Chess set making demo at Klingspoor woodworking shop in Hickory

Hi Everyone, I will be demoing making a complete chess set at the Klingspoor woodworking shop tomorrow 10-to mid afternoon) I will be using the small Harbor Freight lathe and home made screwdriver tools for the most part, in order to demonstrate how low the entry cost of starting woodturning...
  6. CHESSSPY

Chess set making demo in hickory, 12 july 2014

Hi, all. I will be showing how to make a chess set at the NC Woodturners meeting in Hickory next month, 12 July. I think I am slated to start at 10 a.m., and the demo is at Klingspor (856 21st Street Dr. SE Phone: 828-326-9663) http://www.ncwoodturners.com/index.html Alan PS) Thanks for...
  7. CHESSSPY

Penny whistles in various media

Hi, all. I have been designing penny whistles. So, we tested copper and PVC ones last night, and I am going to make turned wooden ones today. A video of the copper whistle being tested at the WINDSONG rehearsal last night is here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdwZHEQFnYw&feature=youtu.be...
  8. CHESSSPY

Workshop Session: Alison Esposito. Off-center turning.

Alison is now on her third day of woodturning (ever). She has made a chess set and now is working along another line: off-center turning. Her assignment is to design and make a matched set of candlesticks, incorporating off-center turning and maybe also captured rings. We are posting pics...
  9. CHESSSPY

Demonstration, 12 July 2014: North Carolina Woodturners, Hickory

I will be demonstrating making a chess set for North Carolina Woodturners on 12 July 2014 at the Klingspor retail shop in Hickory. The event starts at 10 a.m. I will make a full-dress, entirely finished Staunton style competition chess set, with 3.5" kings and carved/finished knights. If I...
  10. CHESSSPY

Beginners's turning class underway today

It's another "Learn to turn" kind of day... This time we have just two students, as we are doing a trade: Milissa's bagpipe lessons in exchange for the turning class. [What on EARTH was I thinking???] We began with the usual nervous, clean students at 10 this morning. They are good! Within...
  11. CHESSSPY

Video & pics: fixing the lock of a Victorian box

The locks on the old mahogany boxes are broken, as often as not. What is not common knowledge is that they often are easily fixed! Also, Victorian keys can be modified to as to work in the lock. We went outside into lovely spring weather and took a few pictures as well as shot a video so...
  12. CHESSSPY

DIY videos: surface treatments and (re)felting

Hi, All. We are back in the workshop after a month of remodeling the house...YAY! To get the old spark going again, we have just published a couple of DIY videos on the website. The text from the update notice follows, in case it is of interest. These polishing tips are for non-woodworkers, but...
  13. CHESSSPY

DIY multi-axis turning & Ben Franklin's chess set

We have been busy! Milissa has been up to her ears in sawdust and geometry in the workshop, preparing for this weekend's demonstrations at the Klingspor Woodworking Extravangaza. For those who can't come & visit with us, she wanted to provide a Do It Yourself on Multi-Axis Turning. The...
  14. CHESSSPY

Czechspy?!

Is it CZECHSPY now?? LOL! I do work sometimes! So aside from taking daily bike rides along the French Broad River as well as preparing for an upcoming meeting with a (gasp!) personal trainer at the local YWCA, I have been busy in the workshop. Today I finished a major restoration of a...
  15. CHESSSPY

Beginner's Challenge Class this weekend: pics & videos

We are having a Make a Chess Set in Two Days seminar this weekend, with four students. As you know, we like to document these, and so the album of pics & videos has been started. Today I am working big ol' lumber into itty bitty dowels... The link to the album is on the homepage of the...
  16. CHESSSPY

Electric motor needed

Hi Guys, I am in need of a largish electric motor 2-3 horsepower I need it to run our large lathe which has no motor. We can pick it up so long as it isn't too far. We live in West Asheville.
  17. CHESSSPY

Class announcement: Make a chess set in two days!

A class is scheduled for 7-8 September. One opening left. Expect it to be challenging, but do-able. Even if you are an absolute beginner (i.e., "Where is the ON button to this lathe?") we will get you through this, and you will leave with tools and a 4" kings black walnut & cherry chess set...
  18. CHESSSPY

A shout out for students

Hi, all. Today I received an email and link to pictures from a student of mine...a guy I have never met. He lives in Israel, and cannot afford to come to the classes here. So he bought a lathe (his first ever) earlier this year and studied the videos that Milissa puts together on the website...
  19. CHESSSPY

Kings's crosses & Das Reifendrehen

In a series of videos, I show how to make three important chess set kings's crosses, and also introduce the topic of Das Reifendrehen. Das Reifendrehen is an active area of research for us (just as antique woodwinds are) and so expect more on these topics in future...as well as chess sets...
  20. CHESSSPY

Beginner's challenge turning class: Make a chess set in two days

We are scheduling classes again, and if anyone is interested in the beginner's (or other) class, then we need to know. We have two people who want to do it, and SOMEONE ELSE????? I cannot find that email. Anyway, the info is here: BEGINNERS' CLASS General info on our classes is here: LEARN...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS