Electric motor needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
Hi Guys,
I am in need of a largish electric motor 2-3 horsepower I need it to run our large lathe which has no motor.
We can pick it up so long as it isn't too far. We live in West Asheville.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a 2 HP with reversing switch that came with my lathe before I put the vari-speed on it.

I would need something in trade. I think it is worth a couple hundred$.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Large lathe? Two to 3 hp motor? Sounds like you need a 3 phase motor with a VFD. This would give you variable speed, which is really essential on large pieces. You already are running 220v to the shop if you are contemplating 2 - 3 hp. I'd check out CL and any local motor shops. Even ebay.

Roy G

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
Hi Roy,
Well, we don't have 220v to the workshop and It isn't going to happen so I will have to rethink my power requirements
Thanks.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
No, i'm sure any 2 hp motor will be 220v.
You'll have to look for a 1.5 hp which should do fine unless you are turning logs into porch columns.

I ran my lathe and turned 12 inch bowls with a 1/2 hp for a year, no problems.

Tractor supply has some good motors for relatively reasonable prices.

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
We went to Tractor Supply. Got a 1.5 hp that will run on 110v.

Also one of the rear tires of the 70 Chevy had a blowout AND the starter finally went kaput. All at once, or kind of. Thank goodness a sheriff deputy's car was behind us when the tire blew--he put his lights on and helped us get to the side of the road so we could call Jimmy, our tow-truck owning buddy.

So we have the truck in the shop and are glad to be home safe...with our new motor for the FE Reed lathe.

batk30msu

New User
brent
Did you get this one:

untitled.JPG

That price seems too good to be true!

batk30msu

New User
brent
That looks like the one we got, EXCEPT we paid $250.

Checkto see if they are the exact model numbers. If so, the store might match the online price. If they wont you could order it online, install the one you bought in store, then return the one from online to the store with your original receipt. (If they are the exact same).

The savings could help pay for the truck repairs

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
You are right, and thanks. We have the URL and will call when the online store opens. The truck was looking like $500 in repairs so this would certainly help with that...

Thank goodness we love our truck.

chevy.jpg

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
Well Tractor Supply didn't honor the price: we called two people online. The customer service woman was helpful at first but after she spoke with the local store manager (who wouldn't honor the price) she then got back on and said there must be a typo or something. She sounded kind of 1st grade teacher-ish when speaking to me about it.

Grrrr...I hate being condescended to... :mad:

To work we go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS