What kind of wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Made a simple pen box for a sapele pen Dozer gave me. I made a box out of something I thought was sapele. Someone gave me a nice board of this stuff, but I confess to not remembering for sure what it was :drunken_s I checked the Hobbit House site, but failed to confirm ID.

Anyway it has lots of "character" and spots that look like cancer 8-O

Here's the box!

penbox2_closed.jpg

And from the back

penbox2_back.jpg

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:
Roger

DavidF

New User
David
Made a simple pen box for a sapele pen Dozer gave me. I made a box out of something I thought was sapele. Someone gave me a nice board of this stuff, but I confess to not remembering for sure what it was :drunken_s I checked the Hobbit House site, but failed to confirm ID.

Anyway it has lots of "character" and spots that look like cancer 8-O

Here's the box!

penbox2_closed.jpg

And from the back

penbox2_back.jpg

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:
Roger

Not sure Roger, but a dam fine box...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice box Roger. It looks like you've mastered the 5mm barrel hinges. WHat did you do for the recess to hold the pen? What's it look like on the inside?
Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Looks a lot like Honduran rosewood. I can't identify it for sure but it is similar in appearance to some I turned recently...

Just my $.02

M

McRabbet

Roger,

I can't tell from the photograph, but if the raw wood is a very lite pinkish hue and the dark streaks appear brown to purpulish, then I'd vote for Bubinga, aka African Rosewood.

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dave, had to make me show the flaw eh :slap:

penbox2_open.jpg

Yep, I do have the barrel hinges down pat now. FWIW, I don't think the wood is Padauk. I have some of that and its more reddish . . . at least when before it darkens. I'll try to take a photo of the unfinished wood this weekend for better examination. It's lighter than these photo shows and has dark "flecks". Though it planes to a smooth finish it also has cracks and fissures. Guess I need to work on my wood identification vocabulary :lol:

Thanks for the nice comments,
Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Stopped grooves are hard to do. BTDT, too many time to collect the T-shirts.
Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Nice work Roger :icon_thum :icon_thum I wish I had some shop time but not foe a while :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Not sure of the wood....bubinga sounds good. The colors and grain texture in bubinga varies a lot. It is also quite dense.

The box looks great though! :icon_thum

Chuck

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
Is ther any secret to stoped groves???? I have a problem witht them wanting to "wonder" at the beginning and end....

M

McRabbet

Is there any secret to stopped grooves???? I have a problem with them wanting to "wander" at the beginning and end....
The secret is to mark the fence with the start and end positions for the stock. Always use a finger board to keep the stock against the Router Table fence and a push stick that you can use to hold the piece down tightly against the router table insert. Make certain to lower the stock carefully at the start onto the spinning box core bit and stop the router before lifting it. And don't try to rout out the groove in a single pass.

I use this technique for making fluted pilasters...safe and sure.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS