Weight loss. (update 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

Well, I dived into a diet last week. I found a great iphone app "Lose it!" It also can sync up with the PC or you can use the PC only.

I have been thinking about my weight a lot lately and tried once or twice to write done what I ate each day to track calories, but to hard to keep up with. The app makes ity very easy to do and you can see right away how much you are eating or use it before you get an item.

Anyway, I am off to a great start and have started to exercise too. It will be a long road, but I really need to do it. I hit over 300 and that freaked me out. I am below that now, but have a long way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

sawduster

New User
Robert
Re: Weight loss.

Good on ya ! :icon_cheers i too am over that 300 plateau and have begun ( again ) to address it . Nice brisk walks help a lot ! :icon_thum

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User

Good for you, Tom. I remember a while ago when you had a very successful weight loss ... and the bad memories of kilt pictures comes to mind.

I'm still trying to lose my "baby fat" :rotflm:

jhreed

james
Corporate Member

Congratulations and keep with it. I am down to 315 from 350. Recently diagnosed with TIA. Am interested in losing 75 pounds. Doctor says if I do, I can live.
James

gator

George
Corporate Member

Go for it Tom!! My wife-mate has lost 150 lbs, but she had help with gastric by-pass surgery. Its done a lot for her health.

George

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine

Do you have a dog? If so I suggest that you start walking the dog. He will benefit as will you. It has helps me.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User

Unfortunately living and working on the road isn't conduesive to weight loss. We eat by ourselves, and with clients. We want to "show our clients a good time" so we choose places that have either large, or rich meals. If we are married, at night there are two choices, eat or watch TV, or even worse, eat and watch TV. Often during the day we grab a meal and drive or ride for the next couple of hours, which means we don't burn many of those calories. It all adds up. I know for myself Pepsi is my big weak point. Simply put, I love it. It also loves me as evidenced by it's tendency to hang on around my mid section. On weekends, when at home I would polish off a two or three two liter bottles. Now I try (notice I said try) to limit myself to 16 oz per day, not consumed with meals. Remember you didn't gain all that weight at one time, and you aren't going to loose it at one time. For me limiting the intake of Pepsi has resulted in a loss of nineteen pounds in the last four months. Keep trying and you will reach your goal. Bruce

Glennbear

Glenn

I wish you the best of luck Tom, I attended a seminar the other night given by a cardiologist with international renown and he did stress weight control and exercise as major factors to address in preventing the "big one". My younger daughter who has never really exercised regularly recently started doing so with the help of an app entitled "couch to 5K". Some of these new apps for portable devices are very cool. :wsmile:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster

Tom I wish you luck with your weight lose program.
You hit on a key note, You MUST add exercise to program for it to work like I think you want it to.
I started back on the 1st of August at 263. Started eating a large salad before my supper meal, after which I wouldn't eat but half of the main meal that I used to.
I coupled this with going to the YMCA 3 times a week doing water aerobics. At first I didn't think it was doing much cause I wasn't sore or anything. (that's the whole thing, exercise doesn't have to hurt). But if you really keep with it, it worked for me.
by the first of Dec I was right at 220.
Energy level is way up, pant size is down to under 36's ( Yay) and I'm working again, like I used to.
Good Luck to You brother don't get discouraged.

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney

Sounds like some of you folks are describing me. Shade over 300 right now I would imagine. I tend to range from 295 - 303/304. Exercise, or the lack thereof, is I know one of my issues. But I find it really, really hard to do it on a recurring basis. I find it real easy to find myself "needing" to do something else.
:gar-Cr

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Congrats! You are on a great path!

Plus you have the high tech tools to help :)

Summer kilt weather is just around the corner!

Jim

JCraig

New User
Jerry

Tom, glad to hear you have found an app that will help. My oldest son started loosing weight just before I had to go into the hospital to have 5 by passes. (May 2009) He had already decided that it was time to do something about how much he had gained. (I guess the heredity thing got his attention) Just as inspiration for you.......he weighted over 450. Not a typo.....450. That was March of 2009. Today his weight is at 184. Again 184. He did it through exercise and watching very closely what he ate. He walks and jogs about 10 miles or more per day now. He used a device called a "Body Bug" that keeps track of his calorie burn each day. He is the most disciplined person I know of. He works out everyday and to see what he eats would amaze you. In his own words, he eats all the time. (About 6 to 8 times a day, it's more like snacking, but on fruits and veggies and things like that.) But he still maintains the calories that he knows he will have to burn to maintain his weight. He is no longer trying to lose, he is at the goal he set and watches to make sure he does not gain. So just know that it can be done with out all the fancy equipment you see on TV and all the fad diets. Just exercise and calorie intake. All the best and keep us updated on your progress.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: weight loss

Good for you Tom.

As others have said, the two keys are controlling intake and upping expenditure (the opposite of cash flow). I know one 'easy' way to decrease calorie intake is to examine liquid calories (sodas, alcohol, juices). Substituting water, even something with a hint of flavor, can go a long ways. Your calorie tracker will tell you that of course. Take a long term view and make slow steady progress on whatever goal you set.

The best thing is to find some form of exercise that you actually like and can fit your lifestyle (i.e. your work life). Walking is hard to beat for flexibility - can happen pretty much anywhere. Plenty of other ideas as well - and remember that it does not have to be the same thing every day (that gets old fast).

I have been through one round of this as well, and have tried to maintain, but the weight is slowly creeping back. For me the biggest issue is late night snacking - if I could curb that I would be in 'much better shape.'

For me this morning, it's off to the pool!

Henry W

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Tom, before I retired just over 3 years ago I had a job similar to yours: I was a sales rep covering 4 states and constantly on the road. As Bruce pointed out, eating healthy and getting enough exercise are difficult at best. But as soon as I retired I lost 10 pounds in the first 2 months. No special diet, no exercise program, nothing special. Just getting off the road did it.

Hang in there. There's light at the end of the tunnel, and no, it's not a train coming at you. :nah:

Bill

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member

Best of luck in your weight loss, Tom. Remember, "Slow and steady always wins the race".

T

toolferone

Thanks everybody! Yup, I need to lose about 30 before the kilt fits :eek: and I look forward to buying another one when this one gets too big :icon_thum. (my wife will love that)

I have been drinking water as my main drink for 20 years now. I don't do caffine and diet soda, yuch. Of course my other liquid is beer, so I am going to give that a break for a while. I have always said, eat less, burn more. Now I am going to do it, not just say it.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson

Tom: good luck! Eating sensibly is a good start. Exercising every day (just taking a walk for 30-60 minutes) is a fantastic approach. It is way easy to put it on, but hard as heck to get it off!

Well, I dived into a diet last week. I found a great iphone app "Lose it!" It also can sync up with the PC or you can use the PC only.

I have been thinking about my weight a lot lately and tried once or twice to write done what I ate each day to track calories, but to hard to keep up with. The app makes ity very easy to do and you can see right away how much you are eating or use it before you get an item.

Anyway, I am off to a great start and have started to exercise too. It will be a long road, but I really need to do it. I hit over 300 and that freaked me out. I am below that now, but have a long way to go.

T

toolferone

All though I started this post on 2/10, I am counting my start date as 1/17.

That being said I have lost 21.5 lbs!!!!:icon_cheers I have been getting on a treadmill at the hotels and at home at my brothers house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS