Walnut potential group buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok, it looks like we have everyone accounted for. See post 66 for a summary. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/s...l=1#post553933

Does anyone happen to have a battery powered circular saw? I don't know if there is any electricity, but I will ask the seller.

I do have a battery powered circular saw but for a 6-8" board a hand saw would be a lot quicker. I can bring both if they're needed. Sometime's simple is better., A tape measure would also be a big benefit during the event.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I do have a battery powered circular saw but for a 6-8" board a hand saw would be a lot quicker. I can bring both if they're needed. Sometime's simple is better., A tape measure would also be a big benefit during the event.

A hand saw should be fine. We won't have to worry about batteries, which is a plus. I am pretty sure if we had a race between a handsaw and a battery powered circular saw, the circular saw would win though. :)

thsb

New User
Tim
my ryobi battery powered saw may not have ever made it through a full board.

i love an experience and this will provide it. great story whether the 200.00 was the best deal ever or the stupidest thing ever. if mediocre, will use it on projects that people want me to do and that I am moderately invested in (i don't charge for anything so that i am not held accountable).

ste6168

New User
Mike
Looking forward to it. I think I may have the longest trip of all, and of course they're calling for rain that day. Guess ill pack the tarp. Even after the gas, this is still a good deal for me as I have been paying $10-$11BF for walnut around here!

I do have an old 10" craftsman miter saw that I can throw in the backseat of the truck, just let me know if they're is electric on site. I bring a tape measure or two. Don't forget your straps to tie the load down!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Who and what's going to do the bf math as the boards come flying off of those pallets? I can send my well used slide rule with Tim.

Attachments

• Board foot calculator.xlsx
    34.5 KB · Views: 137

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The bf calculation is really easy if the boards are indeed 8' average. Just put 3 layers between the wheel wells of a full size pickup and add one 6" board on top. 4' between wheel wells - 3 x 48" = 144" + 6" = 150" ; 150 x 8 + 12 is 100 bf.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Always wondered where something like this might be handy. I always just leave it up to the hardwoodstore to tell me how many bdft I am getting.

main_0_PLR.jpg

http://www.woodpeck.com/ottpaolinilumberrule.html

The bf calculation is really easy if the boards are indeed 8' average. Just put 3 layers between the wheel wells of a full size pickup and add one 6" board on top. 4' between wheel wells - 3 x 48" = 144" + 6" = 150" ; 150 x 8 + 12 is 100 bf.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
If you have an Android smartphone you can use this free app to calculate board feet as well as some other useful things. There should be something similar for iPhones, but not ever having owned an iPhone I don't know if that's too blue collar or not.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
LOL this thread cracks me up.

Bf calculation is as simple as elementary math gets. A few buttons on a smart phone calculator.

In inches length x width x thickness/144

for 4/4 thickness = 1

So for this exercise really all you need is multiplying two numbers and dividing by 144. Why would anyone need an app for that?

ste6168

New User
Mike

Bf calculation is as simple as elementary math gets. A few buttons on a smart phone calculator.

for 4/4 thickness = 1

So for this exercise really all you need is multiplying two numbers and dividing by 144. Why would anyone need an app for that?

My thought exactly. These boards should all be relatively straight (not dealing with live edge or slabs). Put a layer in the truck bed, measure the width of the full layer in inches (say 40" for this example) x length - supposedly most are 8' (so for this example 96") / 144 = BF - If the boards aren't all exactly the same length, as long as they are within a few inches, just pick a number in the middle (average) to use as length. Should get ya close enough.

40 x 96 / 144 = 26.6

Then move onto the next layer and so on...

nn4jw

New User
Jim

for 4/4 thickness = 1

The app is a calculator and your calculator is an app, but this app has the advantage that if you don't need to calculate board feet often enough to remember the formula you don't have to google it first. Just like every other app that calculates something for you it makes things a little bit easier or handier.

Or you could just use a paper and pencil and skip the tech altogether. Whatever floats your boat.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
The app is a calculator and your calculator is an app, but this app has the advantage that if you don't need to calculate board feet often enough to remember the formula you don't have to google it first. Just like every other app that calculates something for you it makes things a little bit easier or handier.

Or you could just use a paper and pencil and skip the tech altogether. Whatever floats your boat.

What we use to do in the old days is pen and paper, mark chalk on each board with bf and price. Today we use a simple calculator. There is no formula to remember. Area and volume math is taught in grade 4 these days.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Being a sawyer (sometimes) i like to keep BF calcs easy.

Length to the nearest foot X width to the nearest inch X thickness to the nearest 1/4" / 12.

So a board that measures actual 1 1/8 thick x 6 1/2" wide x 8' 3" long is calculated as 1x6x8/12 = 4 BF.

All that messing around with actuals / 144 is a waste of time and is not how saw mills sell lumber to brokers. The actual / 144 rules only apply to retail. And then you will get cheated if you by S4S because a 1x6x8 atcually measure 3/4 x 5 1/2 x 8 but you still pay for a 1x6x8.

It really gets stupid when you by mill lumber (trim) by the liner foot.

Clear as mud? Ok good :lol

You guys are buying from a saw mill go with the rounded /12 for BF. If you go with actual/144 you'll see a great big smile of the sawyers face bwcauae he knows you'll pay more.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Several years ago Greg Paolini published an article on making a lumber rule which later was made into a commercial model as cited above. Mine are made of 1/4" BB plywood (19-20" long x 3" wide) with a 3" x 3" block if 1/2" scrap screwed to each side at one end. I divided each side into 1" wide stripes with a pencil line and then marked off crossing lines of specific separation in each stripe on each side, based on specific board lengths. One side is marked for 6, 8 and 10 foot boards and the block marked with thickness for all three. Simple formula for 6 foot stripe is 2" for each line; 1-1/2" for 8 foot and 1-1/4" for 10 foot. Marks at 1" spacing will work for 12' board of 4/4 lumber. Other side I set up for 7, 9 and 11 foot boards (I used a simple spreadsheet to calculate those). To use, place block against one edge and read board feet off the numbered lines. I'll attach a few photos ( second one is set up for 8/4 lumber).
e240bfc674afe959360415bce118d4c7.jpg
6135e8318c0c39c996bbccf938c8f1dc.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
The guy we are buying from doesn't care how we measure it. He is getting a set price for the entire lot. As long as we are consistent and don't underestimate so badly that we run out of wood before everyone gets their share, we should be ok. Running out early is our single biggest risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS