walnut, maple. cherry coffee table

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Here's my new coffee table -walnut, wormy maple and cherry. There were several firsts on this table including the breadboard ends and the curved legs. The finish for the top is blo, followed by wipe-on poly. For the legs and apron I used garnet shellac and wipe-on poly. The shellac looked really great on the walnut but obscured the contrast between the maple and cherry. Here the blo really excelled. It will rest inside for about a month and then I'll rub it down with steel wool to reduce the sheen a bit. I included a sandy pre-finish photo for comparison.

IMG_28761.jpg

View image in gallery

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great work, Sam!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wood selection rocks and the finish really compliments it.

Wayne

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
thanks for the comments guys! I have learned so much by being part of ncww, and would not have been able to design/build/finish something like this w/o countless posts by all of you! So thanks NCWW. Now on to those end tables....and bookshelves.......and toy cabinets......and......

Sam

Warren46

New User
Warren
The contrasting grain and color of the cherry top really make it pop. It illustrates the fact that grain matching does not always mean you need to have consistent color and patterns (and sapwood is OK if used correctly).

Very nice.

Warren

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Very nice:icon_thum. Like the design too, yours?

Thanks. I designed parts of it w/ google sketchup. I drafted about 20 variations of the top before I (and the LOML) zeroed in on the version I built. It was also helpful with drawing the arcs for the leg blank.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS