UPDATE on 1st POST RE: Getting together to make some handscrew clamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Re: Is anybody interested in getting together to make some handscrew clamps?

I'll take that as a compliment :)

If Scott has no objections, we can spin off a new (but related) sub-thread related to reuse/glueup wooden jaws. We reusers would have more upfront work to do, which might bore the new-wood folks.

Jim

Jim, no objections on my end. One thing that you may want to consider for a laminated clamp is to install a "pad" on the jaw end of the clamp that spans all the laminations. This should help distribute the pressure and reduce the chance for a de-lam.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

I read in one of these post the question was asked - I think it might be a question for the form the Jim is working on - "would you be bringing your own wood?" Please forgive me for being not so bright in the nogging but, my question is "what size would this wood be? W? x H? x what ever length I want 4,6,8,10 etc Would Maple be better then BW

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

I read in one of these post the question was asked - I think it might be a question for the form the Jim is working on - "would you be bringing your own wood?" Please forgive me for being not so bright in the nogging but, my question is "what size would this wood be? W? x H? x what ever length I want 4,6,8,10 etc Would Maple be better then BW

I'll be able to answer this question next week. I've ordered some hardware kits from both Grizzly and Jorgensen, not only to look at their quality but also to review the instruction sheets (which include sizing).

I'll update this string when I know more. Thx.

Scott

cptully

New User
Chris

Count me in! I've got some suitable scraps from the unfortunately now defuncted millwork shop that used to be around the corner from me....
Chris

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
UPDATE on 10/2

I've received all of the evaluation clamp kits, save for the ones from Dubuque Clamp Works (should receive early next week).

Thus far, approximately 2/3 of the initial respondants have completed the survey, and we are in excess of 160 clamps (which doesn't even include the ones for me)! It's looking like we will exceed 200 kits, which is great, as this may provide me with an opportunity to negotiate additional discounts.

Over 90% of the respondents thus far have requested US Manufactured kits, and all of the import kit respondants have indicated that they would switch to US Manufacture if we could get at least another 25% discount from the estimated kit price.

Dubuque has the handles priced as an option, whereas they are included with the Jorgensen and Shop Fox kits. This represents an additional potential cost savings if we manufacture our own handles as part of the workshop and select the Dubuque kits (and if you've used a Woodcraft branded handscrew, you've used the Dubuque hardware as they are the OEM for the Woodcraft clamps.).

The desired clamp sizes are fairly well distributed thus far, with 6" being the most requested, followed by 8" and then 16". 4", 10" and 12" are tied at 20 kits each too, with 14" bringing up the rear at 14 kits.

If you haven't already taken the survey, please do so as soon as possible. Although we're still a couple of months away from ordering, I need the info in order to negotiate kit prices as well as determine how much hickory to mill.

Thanks.

Scott

eyekode

New User
Salem
Scott,
Thanks for the update. I would bet that many people would go one size up or one size down if it helps to consolidate an order.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott,
Thanks for the update. I would bet that many people would go one size up or one size down if it helps to consolidate an order.

Salem, thanks for the thought.

Thus far, the manufacturer's / distributors have indicated an opportunity to discount based upon the entire order size, as opposed to buying more of an individual clamp kit. So we may not need to adjust; however it is a good option to "keep in the back pocket", so to speak, in the event that it is needed.

M

McRabbet

If I can make it back to the Triangle for this session, I'd love to make some, too. Probably some 8" and some 12" ones.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Late to the party, as I was on holiday until this week. I filled out the survey, but may add another size/change quantity.

What is the cutoff date for making changes?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Late to the party, as I was on holiday until this week. I filled out the survey, but may add another size/change quantity.

What is the cutoff date for making changes?

Jim and Tom - welcome to the party! All that you need to do is to fill out the survey. I'm going to give it another week or so and then see which dates work best for everyone.

Folks can still join in up until the point that we order the clamp kits. Most likely, this will be in early to mid January. Prior to ordering the kits, I will post the quantities and sizes that everybody has signed up for and ask for any final modifications, etc to be made.

Thx.

Scott

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
10-15 update RE: Getting together to make some handscrew clamps?

I'd like to take a few minutes to update everybody on the status of the hand screw event.

Thus far, 32 people have expressed an interest in participating in the event. Of these 32, all but 4 have filled out the survey.

Regarding the date for the event, it's looking like it will be either on Saturday February 20, or Saturday February 27. Of the respondees, we only have one person that can not make the 20th, and a different person that cannot make the 27th. For now, please reserve these dates in your calendar, and I'll report back when I have the final 4 surveys.

Based upon the response thus far, we'll be lined up to build 220 hand screws! Fortunately, that works out to only be around 7 per participant, so that ought to be doable.

Of the 220 clamps, they are distributed as follows:

4" = 26
6" = 48
8" = 40
10" = 24
12" = 36
14" = 14
16" = 32

I have received all of the evaluation kits (Shop Fox, Jorgensen, and Dubuque), and have put together a comparative analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of each kit. If anybody wishes to stop by and review my evaluation before I post it, you would be most welcome.

We're in the stage of obtaining more accurate prices, based upon the quantities that everybody has signed up for. Probably sometime early to mid next week I'll have the numbers and will merge them in with the evaluation form, and post it here.

More to come.

Scott

rahimlee54

New User
Rahimlee54
I am in as well. If it hasn't been suggested maybe we should each try to bring a dish of food since it is going to be a decent size event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors