UPDATE on 1st POST RE: Getting together to make some handscrew clamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
As part of the outfitting of my new shop, I’m going to need a good quantity of handscrew clamps. Commercial prices vary, from top of the line Dubuque / Jorgensen’s for over twenty bucks each to the inexpensive imports for 4 - 8 bucks each.

In researching the clamp options, I discovered that kits are available for making your own handscrews, for around half the price of the clamps themselves. Not only are inexpensive import kits available, but also high quality US manufacture kits (same as used by Jorgensen) are available, again for about half the price of the complete clamp.

That got me to thinking…. would it be of interest to fellow North Carolina Woodworker members to get together one weekend to manufacture a slew of clamps for ourselves? If so, we could make it an official North Carolina Woodworker event and cook up some BBQ!

If several folks are interested in dedicating a day to the effort, we could probably divvy up the workload and have someone cutting out the blanks to length, someone sanding the sides on the WBS, someone else using the table saw to cut the slope on the nose of the jaws, someone using the drill press to drill the holes for the steel pivoting nuts, someone else doing the finish sanding, edge rounding, etc. Some of these tasks could be done by the same person, but you get the idea.

Although the traditional material for making clamps is hard maple (which is not commonly found near me), I do have some really nice and large hickory logs that could be quartersawn (and dried) into slabs suitable for clamps. For that matter, if any participants had some of their own lumber it could also be utilized (wouldn’t it be nice to have some Claro walnut handscrews???)

I could also make my shop available for the group to use for the manufacturing effort.

We could put the hickory scraps to good use in the smoker, and have a nice lunch being cooked while we “suffered our way through” a good day woodworking!

Here are some links to some hardware kits; hopefully we may be able to find some of equal or better quality for a better price:

http://woodworker.com/8-handscrew-kit-mssu-125-055.asp
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Handscrew-Kit-4-/H2849 (scroll down to see all of their available kits)

(Perhaps Rick DeNardo at The Moulding Source may be able to get us a good group rate on some Shop Fox handscrew kits...)

Other options include purchasing wooden dowel rods and using a threading tool to make wood screws instead of buying metal ones.

It will take me a few months to get the hickory ready, so this may be a good January or February project, but I thought that I’d toss out the idea to see if anybody would be interested in participating. Please respond to this thread and let me know if you might be interested in participating. Thanks!

Scott

UPDATE ON 9/29/09

For those who will be providing their own blanks for manufacturing their handscrew clamps, below are the recommended finished sizes of the blanks, courtesy of Jorgensen Clamps. Keep in mind that these are recommended finished sizes, so if you have rough stock it will need to be a bit oversized. Also, although the height of the clamp can probably vary a bit, the width will need to remain close to what's recommended.

Jim (Froglips) has been working on the sign-up form, which will allow y'all to enter the sizes and types of clamps that you're interested in making. It should be available within the next day or so.

More to come...

Scott

Handscrew_blank_chartv2.jpg

Last edited:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Re: Is anybody interested in getting together to make some handscrew clamps?

Sounds like a great idea Scott. I would like to participate in this.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member

Scott, if the date ended up falling on one of my off days I'd be interested in participating. I can't say that I really need more screw clamps at present ( oh smack did I really say that!!!!:slap: ). I think it would be a good experience to help make some and use some tools that I might not normally get to use.

Brian.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff

Count me in Scott! I would love to get a chance at some of your machines!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Sounds like fun, and I have some very plain hard maple that was supposed to be very highly figured. It cost too much to ship it back, so I kept it. Not terrible excited about making anything with it.

Walnut would be nice too.

And I wouldn't mind helping you build a bunch. I might even make it a weekend if things worked out.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark

If it is a day that I could manage, I think it would be a great experience.

Will work for barbecue!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

I'm in Scott!!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Would love to spend a day in that shop of yours doing something really productive.:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

Excellent idea, BTW!

Wayne

timf67

New User
Tim

I am in. My wife should be over me being gone all day for the lumber run by then... :gar-Bi

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

I am in! Just let us know when.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User

Hey Scott,

Depending on the date, that sounds like a great time! Count me in.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

okay

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

I will certainly try to make it - just tell us when and thanks for the offer to play/work with your equipment.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member

Count me in! Just let me know when you plan on getting together.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member

Scott,
sounds like a great excuse to eat BB and make clmps.Who doesn't need more clamps?Talk to you Saturday.
Greg

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

I'll be there, sounds like fun.

I'll bring the tofu for the BBQ :p

Jim

thesource

New User
Rick

Scott,
That's a really cool idea. I'll do a little checking tomorrow.

bluthart

New User
Brian

Let me know the date - I would to jump in on a Charlotte convoy out there.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Depending on the date - pencil me in :icon_thum

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member

Can't see how I can pass up clamps, clamps at a good price, fellow woodworkers, woodworking, and barbeque, all 10 minutes from home. I'm in if the date works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS