Unuasual ring box projects *FINISHED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

A friend of mine asked me to make a ring box for an engagement ring he was getting to give to his lady. His thought was to some how incorporate the infinity symbol into the design, and wanted it to hold the wedding band also (after the wedding of course). I thought about a design for several weeks trying to come up with something, then one morning this design popped into my head. It is 2 turned cylinders flattened on one side and glued together. I drill a large hole in each one and put a cover on that pivots in the middle . The first prototype was to small to get your fingers in to get the ring. The second one is the right size. I thought the bias cut cherry and purple heart would look good together. The top will be cherry with the infinity laser engraved into it. The lid will pivot on an wooden dowel. I will embed a pair of rare earth magnets in the box and glue a metal washer on the underside of the lid opposing the magnets to keep the lid closed. I will also put a metal under the lid 90 degrees from the magnets so the lid will stay open when the open position. It should be pretty cool.

Click the pic for more pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

cskipper

Cathy
Re: Unuasual ring box projects

Sharp, but since you flattened one edge, why didn't you cut them on a band saw?

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan

Tom, that shows real ingenuity and vision. Unfortunately, but apparently, over the years, you have been working on wood projects instead of watching CSI (any of them) where you would have learned to put a measuring scale next to the article to accurately judge size. Tsk, tsk. :eusa_naug :eusa_naug

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Great design, and beautiful contrast in the wood!

T

toolferone

Sharp, but since you flattened one edge, why didn't you cut them on a band saw?

Free hand cutting on the band saw then having to sand and keep them round would not have been easy. The lathe guarantee's round and I can sand right on the lathe. It only took me about 5 mintues to turn each one round then a couple more minutes to sand each.

T

toolferone

Tom, that shows real ingenuity and vision. Unfortunately, but apparently, over the years, you have been working on wood projects instead of watching CSI (any of them) where you would have learned to put a measuring scale next to the article to accurately judge size. Tsk, tsk. :eusa_naug :eusa_naug

Each one is 2-1/2" diameter and 1-1/2" tall. Each band is 1/2" wide.

I am very sorry sir I will try to never let that happen again sir :gar-La;!

Cliff

New User
Cliff
Re: Unusual ring box projects

That's a spectacular design, Tom... I wish I'd had the talent, imagination and tools that you have when I built my ringbox last October. I don't intend to hijack this thread, but I thought I'd share what I made for my wife and me.

My wife and I kinda did things backwards... we got together in '03, bought a house in '04 and finally decided to make it legal last October 5th. Because we were already so established, we really went low-key; we 'eloped' (if that's what you can call it when the couple is in their late thirties), rented a fancy banquet room at the O'Henry Hotel here in Greensboro, and had a good friend who is ordained to marry us. Our 'witnesses' were our next door neighbors (a fabulous couple nonetheless). We told our families on October 6th.

It was a pretty sudden decision (no, she wasn't pregnant, nor did we think she was :gar-La;), so the usual huge wedding prep stuff wasn't part of the deal. I ordered the rings from a custom jeweler in Clyde, NC, and decided that I wanted to build something unique to present the rings in at the ceremony - something a little fancier than the standard hinged velvet box or my next door neigbor fishing the rings out of his pants pocket. I made a few teensy mistakes, but nothing that made me want to scrap the project, and I didn't really have the time or skill to apply a fine finish. Besides, constantly coming to terms with your mistakes is what being a husband is all about, right? :slap: But seriously, my wife had no idea I'd made *anything*, so she was sufficiently floored enough to ignore the forstner pilot point holes and other amateurish features of the box :BangHead:.

So, now the box is more of a prototype with immense sentimental value than it is a showcase of any sort of woodworking skill, but I'll share the pix if you promise not to :rotflm: at me too much. As a matter of fact, this should demonstrate just how new to woodworking I am - this is really just my fourth or fifth project. And yes, against all odds, it fits and slides pretty well.

Bubinga, Cocobolo and Cherry, if memory serves correctly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214095@N00/2265654130/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214095@N00/2264863393/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214095@N00/2265654256/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214095@N00/2264863541/in/photostream/

It's too bad I love my wife so much... I'll never get another chance to make a better version!

T

toolferone

Re: Unusual ring box projects

I wanted to build something unique to present the rings in at the ceremony - something a little fancier than the standard hinged velvet box or my next door neigbor fishing the rings out of his pants pocket. I made a few teensy mistakes, but nothing that made me want to scrap the project, and I didn't really have the time or skill to apply a fine finish. Besides, constantly coming to terms with your mistakes is what being a husband is all about, right? :slap: But seriously, my wife had no idea I'd made *anything*, so she was sufficiently floored enough to ignore the forstner pilot point holes and other amateurish features of the box :BangHead:.

It's too bad I love my wife so much... I'll never get another chance to make a better version!

That is thinking outside the box! I like the design!

DaveO

New User
DaveO

:eusa_clap:eusa_clapWow, I like both boxes. Nice job Tom and Cliff :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Hey Tom, do you plan on bandsawing the top off the box to keep your stripes on the top??? I think that would be a sharp way to do it. Then drill out the insides with a large enough Forstner bit and use a short top bearing flush trim bit to flatten out the bottom (removing the center of the drill mark) unless you plan to line it.

Dave:)

Cliff

New User
Cliff

Tom,

Where are you going to get the laser engraving done? How long does that sort of thing take? Do you have to provide the artwork?

I'm still just staring at that woodwork... gorgeous stuff.

cliff

T

toolferone

The top will be cherry with the infinity laser engraved into it.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clapWow, I like both boxes. Nice job Tom and Cliff :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Hey Tom, do you plan on bandsawing the top off the box to keep your stripes on the top??? I think that would be a sharp way to do it. Then drill out the insides with a large enough Forstner bit and use a short top bearing flush trim bit to flatten out the bottom (removing the center of the drill mark) unless you plan to line it.

The inside will have lining so no need to lose the center hole.

T

toolferone

Tom,

Where are you going to get the laser engraving done? How long does that sort of thing take? Do you have to provide the artwork?

I'm still just staring at that woodwork... gorgeous stuff.

cliff

I have some friends in Sanford that help me with that. IIRC there is a large group of laser guys over at Saw Mill Creek Forum.

Cliff

New User
Cliff

OK, Tom... I just looked at your website and now I'm really humbled. What a great shop! That must have been exciting to build, and must be wonderful to work in. I'm crammed into a 10x15 shed, but I'm glad to have that!

The glue up and lathework you used to end up with the ringbox shape is brilliant... how do you cut a perfect circle on the lathe? Does it just work that way if you're careful, or do you use a template and a chisel bearing :gar-La;?

At least I amuse ME.

Again, nice work. Love the duelling bellies pic, BTW...

sapwood

New User
Roger

Wow, the two for one special!
Very imaginative boxes Cliff and Tom :icon_thum:icon_thum

Roger

T

toolferone

Dave the ring box is purple heart and cherry, so a solid cherry top is a match, but the main reason for the solid cherry top is that it will be laser engraved with an infinity symbol on it and I think the PH is to dark and a mix of woods won't look good with the engraving.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

That makes sense:icon_thum. Make sure that you show it off here once it's all completed.

T

toolferone

Re: Unuasual ring box projects *Updated*

Back in the shop tonight. I got the lid shaped pretty close and I had some fun with mounting rare earth magnets. They are not glued in yet, I will wait until after the finish.

ringbox%20026.jpg

ringbox%20032.jpg

ringbox%20033.jpg

Any one recognize the brass tube in the middle :wwink:.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re: Unuasual ring box projects *Updated*

Looking great Tom. I like the Cherry top a lot more than I thought I would. For some reason I feel like playing the Bongos :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors