This is for the birds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Today's project:

IMG_1938.jpg

Really just an excuse to let the kids play around and put something together. Among the activities: spread glue, clamp, crank the drill press, flush-saw a couple of dowels, and just general silliness. :mrgreen:

Now I've got to figure out where I'm gonna put it...

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
What kind of birds is that for?
my wife wants me to make her one
that one looks good:icon_thum

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice looking bird house Monty.:icon_thum I take it you didn't want to give the kids a shot at using the D4 and router to knock out a few DTs for this project huh?

D L

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That's cool. last summer my son and I built a birdhouse with cheap BORG pine, we didn't post a pic of it yet. It never made it off the garage shelf. perhaps this spring.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Very cool way to spend time with the kids.

Nice stack of walnut you're using as a backdrop, too. :lol:

b4man

New User
Barbara
I hope a nice Blue Bird family finds this. Teaching children is equally as rewarding. Good job Monty!

Monty

New User
Monty
hpetty said:
Nice stack of walnut you're using as a backdrop, too. :lol:
Yea, that ought to look familiar!!! Gives you a chance to break in those nice shiny X5's of yours! :icon_thum

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Monty, the hole is a little smal for Peng to get in.

Subliminal MOTD: It does too!
:lol:

cmartinson

New User
chad
very nice. My boy is only 4 mos old. I've been waiting since before he was born to play in the shop with him. Only 2 yrs 8 mos to go.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Yah, Barbara has that right...that is a quintessential blue bird house...that will be great if a pair take you up on it!!!!

Chris

Monty

New User
Monty
Yea it's based (loosely) on a blue bird house plan I found... don't know if I have the appropriate space to attract blue birds, though. Don't they prefer open fields? Any hints on placement? This is my first bird house.

Oh, and the penguin already has a home, thankyouverymuch!

I stuffed the leak with the penguin :icon_thum

:lol:

b4man

New User
Barbara
Blue birds do like the open however, based on my experience if you face it south,sw,se and don't mount it over 6 feet high on a pole or a tree you're chances are better of attracting a family. Good luck!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Great job Monty, I'm sure that the Bluebirds will love it.

Now I'm ROFLMAO, we'll miss Peng :icon_thum

R

rickc

Speaking of bird houses - anyone see the little article about the anual News & Observer Birdhouse Contest coming in March. Anyone here particpate in that or perhaps checked it out?

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:cool: I do think that I read something that verifies what Barbara wrote. In addition, I believe they do like fields, but will chose a house that is on the edge of the woods facing out to the field.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Barbara is right on about your bird house. It's looks good for bluebirds and they generally prefer open areas or facing open areas with a height of 5-6 ft. Bluebirds start nesting in February. So you need to put that sucker up right now! They are already flitting around my box.

If it isn't too late, make the side panel so you can swing it open and put drainage holes in bottom. It's fun (and not harmful) to peek on their progress and you need to clean out the box after they fledge. Gotta make room for round two or maybe three. :mrgreen:

I've had bluebirds to successfully nest three times in a year on several occasions--though no luck with pengs :lol:

Sapwood

Monty

New User
Monty
Actually, I did make a clean-out door... there are wooden dowels creating the swivel:

IMG_1940.jpg

The four corners of the bottom piece are notched off for drainage.

...and, here it is getting a little "test" from my helper:

IMG_1961.sized.jpg

So... should I put some sort of critter guard on the post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS