Thinking About a New PM2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I did a bad thing...I played with a Sawstop the other day. I liked it.:lol: However, it is expen$ive! So I looked at the PM2000. It is really nice too. Tom at Woodcraft warned me about the weight (600lbs.) They will help load it, but unloading is up to the buyer. Tom told me some other info that would make the purchase attractive.

And the big hurddle is convincing the LOML to go along. (honey I'll sell my Jet saw first....:eusa_pray ). But, assuming everything falls into place (and I can talk myself into it), I would still need help unloading. So NCW'ers, anyone gotta trailer or truck with a lift gate and wanna help? ;-) I promise adult beverages! I'm just testing thew waters here, but my birthday is in three weeks.:-D

Doug

T

toolferone

I know the manager at the Raleighh WC does local deliver for $25, but might be persuaded to take adult beverages instead for North Carolina Woodworkers members!

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
If you give me gas money I have an enclosed trailer that would make it easy load and probably easy unload. I live about 2 hours away.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You know good and well I will help. I have truck, but not a lift gate. I did get a 1000 lb Minimax off of my truck without one though.

PS - I am having thoughts of a PM2000 as well.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
You take care of the saw, I've got the trailer and the hand truck. Your best offer so far is from Tom who does a fair job of backing his trailer. :lol:

I spoke with the PMatic rep at Woodcraft a couple of weeks ago, and he said they've really got their stuff together in Chaiwan and are making really good stuff. My PMatic PJ882 was made in Chaiwan and I have nothing but accolades for it.

If you need the hand truck, just let me know.

Will work for beer.

Jim

dozer

Mike
I have a couple of really strong boys I can bring over and unload it san set it in to place for you only problem is if they get hungry :rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My back and hand truck are at your disposal if needed or desired. I'm strong and will work for beer :-D :-D :-D

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Doug,
I'd be glad to [strike]drink[/strike] help :mrgreen:
I also have a sturdy 4x8 trailer that is low to the ground. LOML and myself managed to get a 460 lb Griz tablesaw into the shop. Guess I could bring her too :lol:

Roger

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I'd be able and willing if you need help. I'm new to woodworking but all too familiar with moving stuff.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Tilt deck trailer w/10,000# ratchet binders
~ strong back
Will take Diet Coke instead!

PM if I'm needed/wanted

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, it certainly looks like there's no shortage of enablers for WG disease on this site. :lol:

BTW, you have great taste in machinery! :icon_thum

Chuck

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Well, since this would not be a small purchase, I mentioned the idea to my wife at dinner last night. I di not even get to the how much part when she said if you want it go ahead. :drunken_s Now, I know a lot of you will say run, RUN as fast as you can before she chanegs her mind. But that it not my way. So later I told her my idea. I would finish refurbishing my Jet saw, which is looking almost as good as new. (I will attach the original rails, fence and extension, all of which are ahrdly used) And I would sell the saw and the HTC mobile base I got for it not long ago. That might cover 1/2 the cost of the new. She then asked what the cost would be. When I told her she was quiet for awhile but did not say "no." so I will ponder this for a few days more. Revisit it with her one more time and then decide.

P.S. Thanks for mulling it over with me Travis.:eusa_thin

Doug

DavidF

New User
David
Well, since this would not be a small purchase, I mentioned the idea to my wife at dinner last night. I di not even get to the how much part when she said if you want it go ahead. :drunken_s Now, I know a lot of you will say run, RUN as fast as you can before she chanegs her mind. But that it not my way. So later I told her my idea. I would finish refurbishing my Jet saw, which is looking almost as good as new. (I will attach the original rails, fence and extension, all of which are ahrdly used) And I would sell the saw and the HTC mobile base I got for it not long ago. That might cover 1/2 the cost of the new. She then asked what the cost would be. When I told her she was quiet for awhile but did not say "no." so I will ponder this for a few days more. Revisit it with her one more time and then decide.

P.S. Thanks for mulling it over with me Travis.:eusa_thin

Doug

I would say one thing that I know goes against the dreaded WG desease and the absolute morals of this site, but don't buy too much saw and bankrupt yourself. There are some great saws out there for less than the PW2000 that will produce great work. No tool, however expensive will make great work with out a good operator. When I reseached for a new TS I was tempted by all sorts of expensive saws, but ended up with the DW hybrid and could afford the sliding table and the extensions. The saw has done a good job for me. I do tend to think HP is over rated on some of these saws as a selling point. Unless you work commercially and saving a few seconds by pushing thick stock through quickly saves money then 5 hp is too much and in my view; and it is only an opinion, not worth the premium in cost. I would be hard pushed to see a difference in the work I turn out if I had a $25,000 felder in my shop. Life might be easier, but the work would not necessarily be better at the end. Just a thought for the day:lol:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Dave:

I agree with you on the HP. My Jet is only 1 3/4 HP and a step up to 3 HP is all I am looking at. The dust collection, Riving knife, built in casters arbor stop and better belt drive combined are pretty compeling to me. I would "break the bank" with this purchase. It is just that LOML and I do not make large purchases without consulting one another.

In general I do not buy more than I need. I do not have top-of the line tools everywhere. In fact I have made (in my humble opinion) some great deals on used tools through the years and have sold old tools to finance new tools.

For example: I sold an old Delta Model 10 RAS on eBAy for $370, more than I had paid for it. I bought a Jet mini lathe with extension (still in the box) lathe stand, Sorby tools, pen blanks, pen making tools and pen kits for $200 a couple of years ago (Stealth gloat :-D ). Most of my tools have a story behind them.

Yes I am having a case of WG disease, but a can justify it ...no really I can...:drunken_s

Doug

DavidF

New User
David
Dave:

I agree with you on the HP. My Jet is only 1 3/4 HP and a step up to 3 HP is all I am looking at. The dust collection, Riving knife, built in casters arbor stop and better belt drive combined are pretty compeling to me. I would "break the bank" with this purchase. It is just that LOML and I do not make large purchases without consulting one another.

In general I do not buy more than I need. I do not have top-of the line tools everywhere. In fact I have made (in my humble opinion) some great deals on used tools through the years and have sold old tools to finance new tools.

For example: I sold an old Delta Model 10 RAS on eBAy for $370, more than I had paid for it. I bought a Jet mini lathe with extension (still in the box) lathe stand, Sorby tools, pen blanks, pen making tools and pen kits for $200 a couple of years ago (Stealth gloat :-D ). Most of my tools have a story behind them.

Yes I am having a case of WG disease, but a can justify it ...no really I can...:drunken_s

Doug

Sounds like you have your head screwed on Doug - Enjoy! Carol and I discuss all purchases over $10.00:lol: :lol:

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I'll throw in yet another offer to help. It sounds like you've got the low-deck trailer part covered, but I'll offer to help with lifting assistance!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Ordered the PM2000 today

Taking advantage of the Woodcraft 10% OFF sale, I ordered the saw today.:-D To bad the extra 5% does not apply to power tools. :cry: The order will go in Monday and will take 5-7 days to arrive.

Sooooo...all you who offered to help, I would be grateful to take you up on your offers. Jerry: will your offer for help and the trailer be available then?

I will post here when I hear a more definite time for delivery at WC.

Thanks again,

Doug

P.S. Clark good luck with the Jet Saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors