Things are Happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
OK gang-------some things have been happening in my shop. I hereby attempt to attach images of some more recent projects: Hope it works!!

The top two are of a Sackback Rocker to be painted-------bottom left is a Writing Arm Windsor painted black and bound for Edenton in about 2 weeks. bottom right is a continuous arm rocker w/mahogany seat and red oak on the rest of it----bound for Fort Worth, Texas in the spring.

Jerry

dozer

Mike
Wow was really the first thing that came to mind when I seen these pics. Fantastic work I would really like to learn to make chairs like that one day. I am sure your customers will be very pleased with their chairs.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would have to agree with WOW, but I would give the biggest one to the continuous arm rocker with the Mahogany seat. I love the contrast of woods.
How long does it take to make something like that????

Beautiful work, I am continuous humbled by the talent present in our membership 8-O

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Outstanding! Very impressive - hopefully we'll get to see some of these up close at the upcoming show.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I.
How long does it take to make something like that????

Dave----------thanks for the kind words. I usually figure about 2 weeks from start to finish. Especially if I have to cut the log to begin with. If I already have some of the parts from a previous log (like the back bow and spindle blanks) it will take a few days less. I have done a loop back in 5 days but i worked really long hours and did not have a finish on it in that time frame.

Keep in mind I do not work as fast and hard as I once did:lol: !!

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I usually figure about 2 weeks from start to finish. Especially if I have to cut the log to begin with. If I already have some of the parts from a previous log (like the back bow and spindle blanks) it will take a few days less.
Jerry

So you are using traditional wet-dry M&T joinery? Riving and shaving the spindles? Are the continuous arms laminations or steam bent?
Only 2 weeks, you're still moving pretty fast and hard

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
So you are using traditional wet-dry M&T joinery? Riving and shaving the spindles? Are the continuous arms laminations or steam bent?
Only 2 weeks, you're still moving pretty fast and hard

Yes Dave------I am using wet/dry construction. Split the log with sledge hammer and wedges until I get it down to billets I can handle with a fro and mallet. Then drawknife loops/spindles to rough size. Turn all the legs, stumps(arm supports) and stretchers on the lathe. Use the tapered M/T for legs to seat. Carve the seat with the drawknife, inshave and spokeshave.The chairs are labor intensive to say the least.

The arm bows are shaped, steamed and bent around a form. I do not laminate any parts of these chairs. The combs for the writing arm and comback chairs are steamed and bent also.

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Alright, I am speachless, all that in 2 weeks. I showed your pictures to my wife, and she said "nice chair". I tried to explain to her the craftmanship that goes into making one, and that it's not just a "chair". She just doesn't understand :roll: :roll: :roll:
I hope that your description of your hand-work goes along with each chair you sell. That makes them something very special :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DavidF

New User
David
2 weeks!!!!!!!! I really must get a move on! lovely chairs, great workmanship:eusa_clap

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Outstanding Jerry! I hope that your customers appreciate the labor and skill that goes into those!:icon_thum

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Great looking chairs Jerry:icon_thum . WOW there is a lot of work that goes into a master piece:notworthy

sapwood

New User
Roger
That ain't woodworking! It's art :eusa_clap
Thanks for letting us take a peek at your masterpieces :cool:

Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow!! Those are really cool. I am humbled by your talent. Beautiful work. :icon_thum

Wood art, for sure.

Chuck

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Absolutely beautiful work, Jerry!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_danc

I still have trouble comprehending how such great work can be accomplished without "plugging in a power tool"!

Really like the mahogony and oak continuous arm!!!!!

You must have a housefull of wonderful chairs!!!!8-O 8-O

Great job!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS