The Picnic- From a family perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The food was great and so was the comeraderie at this years picnic and yes it was all about woodworking, but there was alot of waste of the facilities that we had available to us.

If this is supposed to be a time to bring out the family and have a good time, it was far from that. The White Oak facility was fantastic, with the beach and swimming area, and shower facilities, almost none of this was used.We had all day and used about five hours of it. If you want people to come and bring their kids, start to make it fun for the kids. If the kids are happy then the wife is happy, and if the wife is happy, then life is happy. I know that alot of people didn't have their wife or kids there, and one of the reasons is probably because they've been there before and there was nothing for them to do.

If we all talk our wives into coming and bring our kids, we can have some contests like sack races, egg tosses, three leg races, etc.. Heck, we could have hammering and sawing contests for the adults. A little music wouldn't hurt either. Set up a few things to do after the food, and door prizes, and people won't start shuffling off at 1:30pm looking for a blue plate special:wink_smil.

Once again, I'm sure this will be taken wrong, most things I write are.
But, couldn't we make it a little more fun for the ones we drag along.:dontknow: ? Otherwise picnic numbers will be going down and not up, and that would be a shame. The time to improve on this year's picnic is now, not in 11 months from now.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I think you've got a point Jimmy. I was itching to try out the horseshoe pit and it would've been cool to play some volleyball too. Christy and I did take a couple of walks down to the shore and hungout on the little dock for a while at least. :rolleyes: Music would've been cool too. Overall though, it was an excellent time and we were very happy to be there. :icon_thum

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
My comment on your post is for you to form an activity committee for the picnic. I will participate and help as I agree with you, and I could have/should have thought of that myself. Additionally, don't take my post the wrong way as my intentions are constructive.

Your girls did try to get mine going in some things, but they didn't quite follow the paper folding stuff. Fishing didn't work out too well as the water was rough and it was a bit too wooded where I was trying.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
You are right, Jimmy. As a parent, I should have probably thought ahead a bit and could have jumped in to help coordinate something ... but can't go back in time. In the future some "events" would be good for everyone (not just the kids). As for the facilities not being used... I had no idea all of that was available. All we seemed to really use was the HUGE covered area.

The board may want to take a "post mortem" of the picnic and put some notes in writing about what was good, what was so/so, and what could be better. Also what was forgotten and should not be in the future. Just a suggestion to make sure we actually remember it a year from now!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jimmy I totally agree with you. I was surprised at how fast folks cleared out after the raffle was announced. At that time I was finally able to have some fun, now that the organizing and work was over. We paid a lot for the facilities and should have utilized them more. I understand that there were a lot of folks who had a good bit of travel time to get home, and understand them leaving early. But the rest should have hung out and enjoyed the day.
I wished that my family could have been there (circumstances prevented that), my daughter was sad that she didn't get to go, she had a great time the past years.
These notes will be taken, and hopefully considered by next years Picnic Planning Committee.

Dave:)

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I agree with the other posts. the one thing I know we do need is at least a PA system. Ihave a Bass Amp that mas a MIck jack make about the size we would need to use. If someone reminds me next year Ill throw it in the car. I also have a friend who might just do some DJing if we feed him.

Trent I enjoyed meeting you and christy(it was nice tio met someone from my end of the world)as well as the others. this was mt first time but wont be the last. I am still full from the food.:rotflm:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
My comment on your post is for you to form an activity committee for the picnic. I will participate and help as I agree with you, and I could have/should have thought of that myself. Additionally, don't take my post the wrong way as my intentions are constructive.

Your girls did try to get mine going in some things, but they didn't quite follow the paper folding stuff. Fishing didn't work out too well as the water was rough and it was a bit too wooded where I was trying.

I'll will wait until the new BOD positions are decided and volunteer myself to be a main helper in next years picnic. Hopefully the food crew will return as they did a wonderful job. I am always available, and I think a new commitee involved in activities would also help :gar-La;. Travis I will help you or any other BOD that is involved in running next years picnic.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I think these are very good points to note for next year's event. I would enjoy participating in sporting activities, and I would like Roger to be on my volleyball team! Music would be a great addition as well. I have read that we have several talented musicians on board and live music is the best!

This was the first time that I attended the picnic, and I had a nice time. I was really impressed by the facilities. It really did have a lot to offer.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
I agree there is a lot of free time and space left in the day. The park is open until 9:00 pm, It might be late for some people but most could stay and have a second filling of the food a little later. Fun, games and music from say 2: till 5-6. Also any one that camps can stay onernight in one of the 3 parks with about 1000 sites
dick

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Hey DaveO ... another item for that list would be some recommended hotels in and around that area that are family safe. We made the drive there and back the same day, but would have been open to an overnighter if there were events planned.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jimmy, I find your feedback to be very good and constructive, so please keep it coming!

We ought to start planning next year's picnic several months early, and add an "activities" coordinators to the planning team. Perhaps we could entice some of the spouses (both male and female) to participate in the activities planning.

It would be great if you could participate as one of the planning team leaders.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several different types of activities that we could consider: kids activities, adult activities, and maybe a few woodworking contests for prizes (or bragging rights).

We need to be careful not to bite off too much, but there are definitely some opportunities for enhancement.

My greatest regret was that I did not get there earlier, and stay later, and be able to meet and have quality time with more members than I was able to.

It was a great facility, and worth considering for next year (especially since we can reserve it for ourselves).

Scott

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jimmy, I find your feedback to be very good and constructive, so please keep it coming!

We ought to start planning next year's picnic several months early, and add an "activities" coordinators to the planning team. Perhaps we could entice some of the spouses (both male and female) to participate in the activities planning.

It would be great if you could participate as one of the planning team leaders.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several different types of activities that we could consider: kids activities, adult activities, and maybe a few woodworking contests for prizes (or bragging rights).

We need to be careful not to bite off too much, but there are definitely some opportunities for enhancement.

My greatest regret was that I did not get there earlier, and stay later, and be able to meet and have quality time with more members than I was able to.

It was a great facility, and worth considering for next year (especially since we can reserve it for ourselves).

Scott

I too, had a great time and wish that I had gotten the family motivated and gotten there earlier, but next year is around the corner.:mrgreen:

R

rickc

Hey DaveO ... another item for that list would be some recommended hotels in and around that area that are family safe. We made the drive there and back the same day, but would have been open to an overnighter if there were events planned.

...or even some fellow woodworkers who might have an extra room to house someone for a night!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Maybe a little off topic but still relevant:

It is hard to get around and meet and greet everyone so it might be helpful for everyone if there was time in the program for everyone to introduce themselves / family just so everyone gets a chance to put a face with the name in person. There are many folks on this site that if I met somewhere, I wouldn't know them from Adam. Why, because I've never really met them. So that being said

Hi, my name is Mike

:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

M

McRabbet

Jimmy -- thanks for bringing this out front -- we sure can all do better and lots of great ideas have already been suggested. A portable PA system is a must; so are more kids and adult activities as well. I'd like to see a session with the folks that brought projects having an opportunity to talk briefly about their work, too. We could also do some hands-on demos (like Alex's penturning or ScottM scroll sawing at Klingspor last Fall). There are lots of possibilities for making this great day a super day! The Board should get a Committee together when we meet and strike while the iron is hot.

And just so you all know, we didn't bring our kids because the youngest is 38!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Maybe a little off topic but still relevant:

It is hard to get around and meet and greet everyone so it might be helpful for everyone if there was time in the program for everyone to introduce themselves / family just so everyone gets a chance to put a face with the name in person. There are many folks on this site that if I met somewhere, I wouldn't know them from Adam. Why, because I've never really met them. So that being said

Hi, my name is Mike

:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

That's another good idea Mike, like I said I'm definitely not trying to change what was. The picnic was run well and alot of fun, but anything to make it better, and last longer I would personally like.:icon_thum

I guess the picnic should fall under the Events Director position on the BOD, once they decide who becomes what, then we will see what we can do.:icon_thum

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
As always LOL and myself enjoyed the picnic as this was our 4th and I have enjoyed them all. The site was just right and I hope we have achance to revisit again next year.
But now that some issues have been identified, we must correct and make better.
"Experience is a tough Teacher, Because the test comes first and the lesson comes afterward."

Planning starts 6 months ahead for the size group we have. I am going to lay out some items for all to consider and hope others will also.

1. Take head count of attendees this year to consider a location
2. Set a date and project to the members
3. Location
4. Events available at site i.e. Horseshoes, volleyball etc.
5. Events in case of a rainout.
6. No shortage with this group that's for sure. Too much food for the size of this group. Headcount X 10% is a good way to start in your main courses. You will have some left over but you have those unexpected covered also.
7. Setup was a problem, Know where you are going to start your line and set up that way. You should not have to keep moving dishes to allow room. Desert line should alway be a separate line.
8. Show and tell area. Some beautiful projects were didplayed but no identification as to who did them. Allow for the projects to be identified and allow for the individual to talk about them if they would like. This is what this area is.
9. Identify your trade, buy give away areas and allow for them to be shown.
10. Encourage meet and greet! This is one of the most impoprtant. I found a new couple from Raleigh and it was there first time. Lets make everyone welcomed. I agree that the member introduce there family and friends.
11. Special guests-We had a special guest and it wasn't until the closing did he get introduced.
12. Annual Board Meeting.
13. Raffles, Door prises, (Have a Children's door prize(s))
14. Clean-up is everyones responsibilty. Don't leave it to a few!
This is just a few areas we need to look at and this list is not all inclussive.
Well now that I have added to all the noise, I better close. But had a great time. Thank You to all of those who brought us together for year number 4.
Better close my mouth!:slap:
Terry

R

rickc

Perhaps set up a separate forum for all picnic related posts. It was a bit challenging trying to locate the different posts. A couple issues brought up were covered. Ie- there was a request for someone to bring a PA system and concerning the "special guest" - DaveO did indicate he was invited, but was not coming for any promotion, demos, etc - just as a fellow woodworker. I would think drawing special attention to him would have changed that a bit.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well suck <edit I meant shucks!!!>, I ain't gonna keep out of this one :p

I had a wonderful time, really enjoyed this years picnic. These are just some observations for next year.

a. Left over food: donate to food bank or composte. I personally brought home ~20 pounds of veggie fried rice cause I couldn't just thow it all out. What we threw out at the end will haunt me for a long time.

b. Corporate buisness: I don't think the picnic is the appropriate place to conduct corp. buisness. I'd ask the new BoD to consider other ways to address this. I'm not saying I don't appreciate all the hard work done by the Board, nor that I am not interested. Quite the opposite.

It was hard to hear (PA system), but it was also hard to follow. Financial reports are hard enough to follow on paper :p Plus, maybe half the people there were not Corp Members who would have little to no interest in the gory details.

One more time, I'm totally amazed and fully support the corporation and the Board, so this is not a critisizim in any way of that work.

c. Newfolks: We did a poor job of integrating new members. I personally spent time we several new members and their families, but later saw they were sitting alone. Those people take the biggest personal risks to come to a big gathering. I'd offer we give them special name tags, or designate a section for new members to congregate. Maybe we have a few members volunteer to show new folks around. At the least, we tie bright red ballons around their wrists :)

d. Music. Gotta get some. Be it live folks or we steal DaveO's nifty stereo with a collection of 8track tapes.

e. Special Guests: I blew it on this one. I went overboard not wanting to mob Roy Underhill to the point I didn't even talk to him. He is a big deal and I agree he (and other guests) need special consideration.

f. Cozy. No good way to address this. Last years picnic felt better. I think it has a lot to do with the space. We were overflowing the pavilion and had lots of satellite tents and folks. This year, we sort of felt crammed into one corner of the massive room. I know its a total catch 22, but maybe someone smarter than me can come up with an option.

g. Last but not least, did I mention BELT SANDER RACES!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again to everyone who worked so hard on making this Picnic one of the highlights of my year.

Jim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS