Spindle sander question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I am considering getting a spindle sander. I figure it would probably be a lot better that using my drill press (I have to keep re-securing the chuck!).

What does everyone (anyone?) think of the Ridgid spindle sander. It seems that the belt attachment would be a handy feature.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well, if shop crawls are any indication, 9 out of 10 woodworkers prefer that Ridgid sander.

Sometimes, I feel inadequate because I don't have one.......

Jim

nelsone

New User
Ed
Is this the one you are talking about - I think that it would be great for outside cuts but if you are like me I need that inside sanding as well -

http://www.improvementdirect.com/ri...belt-spindle-sander/p246492?source=shz_246492

$245.52
Originally $279.00, You Save 12%

Shipping:
Free Shipping! See Details

That's the one! The belt fixture comes off and regular spindles can be attached. HD has them for $200.

Jim, I noticed the same thing. Figured I could get some expert opinions!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
That's the one! The belt fixture comes off and regular spindles can be attached. HD has them for $200.

Jim, I noticed the same thing. Figured I could get some expert opinions!

IF it comes off - then this would be the one that I would get - inside-outside-edge sanding all in one - that would work for me:icon_thum

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
For the money, you won't beat it. If you remember I had one, then sold it ... and have regretted that move. It's a great little machine.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
IF it comes off - then this would be the one that I would get - inside-outside-edge sanding all in one - that would work for me:icon_thum
Yep. it comes off and the spindles work great. My only issue with the Ridgid is the same as with other manuf.'s, I need longer spindles for bandsaw boxes.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I really liked mine. Used the osc. belt ten times as much as the spindle. Dust collection was the only down side but not terrible. I would still have mine but got the big floor model Jet OSS and didn't have room.

There is a tool outlet in the Commerce GA outlets on the west side of I-85 with a lot of Ridgid stuff. I would give them a call if you can't find one for a good price locally. They had real good prices but didn't see any of these when I was in there a month ago.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very nice machine! I have seen nothing but positive reviews, and have come close to biting the bullet myself on several occassions.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
It is worth every penny you spend on it. I have one and use it all the time, works great but I agree the dust collection is very poor.
dick

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Love mine. It is a compromise between a OSS and Disk sander, but for the money it can't be beat. Caution it will launch some wood, that is why a disk sander is better, along with an OSS.

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm not overly worried bout the dust collection since what I have now has none!

thrt15nc

Tom
User
I can vouch for Jeremy. He sold his....and it's a great little sander. Thank you again!!

And is the discount deal still on at HD on tools???

Tom Swortzel

Shamrock

New User
Michael
For the money you can't beat the Rigid. With some jigs it will even sand some really small stuff!

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
I have a Jet OSS. The one with 6 spindles. I generally only ever use one spindle--the 3"! The bed is tilting, there is a collar to snug up between the bed and each size of spindle. This is a really useful machine. The sanding tubes are readily available from Klingspor.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Love mine. It is a compromise between a OSS and Disk sander, but for the money it can't be beat. Caution it will launch some wood, that is why a disk sander is better, along with an OSS.

Dave:)
I think Dave captures my sentiments very well, so I'll just quote him.

In a perfect world, we'd all have dedicated OSS, disk sanders and edge sanders.

-Mark

thrt15nc

Tom
User
I just bought the Ridgid jointer from them. It was $75 off tool purchases of more than $300. There were more steps to it then, something like $100 off $500, $150 off ......

I don't see it listed on their web site anymore so maybe it's done.

Tom Swortzel

Mark O

New User
Mark
I have the Jet and love it, especially the 3" spindle, but in a hobby shop like mine I think the ridgid (and money savings) is the way to go. Plus the belt sander option would be very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS