Simple birdhouse plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Can anybody make any recommendations as to where I can obtain plans to make some simple birdhouses?

I'm thinking in particular about bluebird houses.

Thx.

Scott

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Scott, I don't have set of formal plans, but you are welcome to come by the house and "borrow " one my blue bird houses. They are a clone of the Finch's, of Bailey (Homes for Blue Birds) design. My students used build and sell them. Also my older grand daughter's scout troop built a bunch once. That was a fun project.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Hi, Scott,

From the North American Bluebird Society:

http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/eastwestbox.htm

I've had good luck with this basic plan. You can make them out of cedar, pine or whatever you have on-hand. Rough-sawn works best. These plans allow for ventilation, drainage, and easy access to monitor the nest as well as clean the box out.

Bluebirds can be fairly picky but basically if you site them right, the birds will use them. I've had bluebirds, chickadees, titmice and wrens use mine over the years. Anything smaller than a bluebird will use a bluebird house.

If you want to go bigger, you can probably find plans around for Screech Owls, Flickers, red-bellied woodpeckers and wood ducks.

I go more for practicality when it comes to nest boxes intended for actual use by our feathered friends. The fancy houses can be designed for things like cleaning, ventilation, etc.

PM me if you need any other links to different nestboxes.

:kermit: Steve

M

McRabbet

Scott, I've built this type Bluebird house which can easily ba adapted for fence post or 3/4" EMT mounting. I built a bunch several years ago using clear western cedar. Here is another with similar dimensions and materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS