Shop Wiring Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Hi - I am getting ready to build my workshop in my lower level. I am thinking of running the wiring to the machines (tablesaw, jointer, planer, etc.) underneath the wood floor through the subbasement. Does anyone see any issues with running the wiring underneath the shop and putting sockets in the floor? The one issue I can think of is sawdust getting into the sockets. One solution may be to mount the sockets vertically on posts just above the floor.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch Trager

Monty

New User
Monty
Having the receptacles in the floor would be convenient in terms of placment, but in addition to dust you'd have to worry about heavy machines cracking/breaking the hardware if you will be moving things around.

M

McRabbet

Mitch,

I have one floor outlet that I installed in a conventional manner, but I used a metal cover for the receptacle. It is a L6-20R (single receptacle for 20 Amp/220V, three prong twistlock). Because I located it behind my tablesaw and under the outfeed, it never gets stepped on and dust is no problem either since the plug is in it 99.9% of the time (I just pull it when I switch blades for safety). I will add another outlet this fall for my shaper. My Dust collector and PVC ducts are under the floor, too.

Rob

gator

George
Corporate Member
I only have one circuit coming through the crawl space below my shop. It is for the tablesaw. I just drilled a hole in the floor where I wanted it and mounted some conduit on a 2x4 with the outlet at the top of the 2x4. I can reach it easily to unplug when I change blades or do maintenance. If I move the saw, I will pull the conduit and just plug the hole and reinstall the conduit in the new location. Crude, but simple.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=496&cat=198

George

cskipper

Cathy
As it will become obvious from my post, I don't know anything more about electrical safety issues or wiring than the average person, but feel that i have to add my two cents worth to this discussion. Our shop is not as large as we would like and is therefore in a constant state of rearrangement. This means that not only do we relocate saws, etc. but that we move them on their rolling mobile bases (thank goodness for those bases). Most of the equipment is heavy and would, I think, pose a physical threat to floor receptacles. We also have dogs that join us in the shop and add to the mystery of finding things (they carry things into and out of the shop, pick up scraps, occasionally empty the trash on the floor, etc... ) We drip/spill liquids - from different kinds of finishes to coffee. I use spray adhesives. Even with a vacuum system, we still have dust. It seems like, at least in our shop, floor receptacles could pose unnecessary risks.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I had thought they were no longer allowed according to code? We had all the floor receptacles deactivated and covered up during the course of my store's remodel...

T

toolferone

110floor.jpg

I put several in my shop, and am glad I did. I really did not want wires going from the wall to the middle of my shop on the floor. I have very tall ceilings so that option was out too. I have mine for table saw, planer, jointer. I had no problem passing inspection with them.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If I could put mine in the floor along with dust collection (if you are planning it), I would if possible. The tombstones mentioned in another post would be a good way to keep the dust out, but there are the types that have the caps when not in use. I did run cords for awhile across the floor for the tools in the middle, but that was a PITA. I am quite clumsy and was always tripping over them, and it made it tough to move stuff around on wheels. Now I have everything ceiling mounted just to keep it off the floor.

cskipper

Cathy
I didn't mention that John put am ample number of outlets along the walls so we are never far from an outlet, which minimizes cords on the floors.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Thank you all for your input - I've got some musing to do before deciding.

I appreciate all your help and thoughts.

Mitch Trager :eusa_thin

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
I put both the electric and vacuum under the floor. I do not move my saws around so I put an outlet with water profe cover mounted right on the back of my saw cabinet and ran the wire in conduit down throught the floor.Put the vacuum gate right on the floor next to it. Have found them both to be very handy.
dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS