Shop update - this month

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Good, steady progresss was made on the shop in January. In addition to getting internet access extended to the shop, the large dust collection system is complete, allowing me to bring the 4-head Baker moulder and the Mattison straight line ripsaw online. I completed the electrical hook-up to them a few months back, and have only needed to complete the DC in order to bring them on-line. Although, I will do a complete servicing on the Mattison before turning the switch on.

Here is a photo of the Moulder and the new dust collection system drops. We also built extensions onto the in and outfeed tables to allow us to hinge them up and out of the way when not in use. The moulder has four 4" ports on it, which I fed into a 10" upduct. I also added a 7" duct and floorsweep.

2011-01-28_20-11-09_883v2.JPG

View image in gallery

I have started the 'de-rusting' process on the Mattison. Here is an almost "before" photo (I say "almost, because I had already started derusting one corner of the table):

One corner de-rusted:

And tonight's progress. I'm about half-way there with about 10 hours invested thus far (where's George Lesniak when you need him?!): I think that I need to host a NCWW "De-rusting" event! :gar-La;

The lines that you see on the table are the original factory machining marks. The table is machined so that there are a series of ridges along it to reduce friction when feeding boards across it. The ridges are very shallow - only about .001 or so. One of my challenges when removing the rust was to do so in such a way as to not damage the ridges.

Next on the agenda is to weld together the 6" ductwork for the small dust collection system. We've already cut out the pieces to fabricate the wye's for the system, now I just need to MIG weld them together along with the main run. Another 70' of ductwork is enroute - looks like the final version of the small system will have around 230' of 6" duct. I think that tomorrow will involve a lot of welding smoke!

More to come...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, shiny surfaces! It's been a long time since the machine looked that good, I know you've had it for a while. Perhaps a BYOSB party? (Bring Your Own Scotch Brite)
Looks like the Grizzly drill press needs some derusting as well....

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wow, shiny surfaces! It's been a long time since the machine looked that good, I know you've had it for a while. Perhaps a BYOSB party? (Bring Your Own Scotch Brite)
Looks like the Grizzly drill press needs some derusting as well....

Bas, are you volunteering???? :gar-Bi

The Grizz actually isn't too bad - most of that was condensation that occured during our trip back from Muncy.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Looking good Scott. You've come a long way since the shop crawl. It's all coming together.:icon_thum:icon_thum

LloydP

New User
Lloyd
I got a chance to see the dust collection system on Sunday. Wow. As my wife can attest, I have not stopped talking about it. I have a bad case of shop envy now.

I think I might wait to come back until the rust is gone - just in case I might be pressed into service!!

Lloyd

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looking very good Scott.

With that super-sized dust collector, what are using the 'small' system for?

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
I think Bas is right. Scott should change his ncwoodworker handle to TEX cause everything he does is big as Texas! Looking Good!

Kave

Glennbear

Glenn
Bas, are you volunteering???? :gar-Bi

The Grizz actually isn't too bad - most of that was condensation that occured during our trip back from Muncy.

Things are coming along nicely Scott :icon_thum It is amazing how quickly rust forms in an outdoor environment, a few months ago I brought a contractor TS out to Steviegwoods in WV and when I arrived it had a rust patina. :wconfused: This was despite the fact that it was inside the enclosed cap on my truck. I am sure you have found the best way to derust but when I did my old machines I found WHITE auto body polishing compound on a buffing pad helpful. :wsmile:

bwat

New User
Bill
Your shop adds new definition to the "small system"... your "final version of the small system will have around 230' of 6" duct" would be a large system by others' standards!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Lookin' fantastic, Scott!!!

That Mattison looks like it is the process of being reborn and itchin' to rip some wood.:wsmile:

I can easily see that keeping up with the feed rate of some of this gear sure wood challenge my ability to keep up!:eek:

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Always enjoy seeing pics of the monsters in your shop Scott. If you decide to have a "rust" party, be sure to post the date here on the web site. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join you: I think I'm having my hair done that day. :rotflm:

Bill

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Always enjoy seeing pics of the monsters in your shop Scott. If you decide to have a "rust" party, be sure to post the date here on the web site. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join you: I think I'm having my hair done that day. :rotflm:

Bill

Bill, you WIMP! :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Looking very good Scott.

With that super-sized dust collector, what are using the 'small' system for?

Mark, there are several reasons for the dual systems. First and foremost, the small system is designed so that it will not create enough flow velocity that could combine with fine dust and result in an explosion. Thus, the wide belt sander and resaw is hooked up to it, since these are the only machines that I have that can create a significant amount of fine dust.

The other reason is that the small system is single phase, and the big system (25 hp) is three phase. In addition to the WBS and the Resaw (both 3 phase), the small system hooks into all of my single phase equipment so I don't have to run the generator if I only want to use the tablesaw or the <5 hp equipment.

The big system is hooked up into the major shavings generating machines.. If I run the 25" jointer/planer all day, it will fill up the dump truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS