Researching wood (Since we're on the subject)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeF

New User
Mike
I picked this board up a couple of years ago just because it was different. I'm not sure what it is, the grain looks like Maple, but it is very dark.

Any ideas? (Board is on the left in 3rd pic)

Mike

Attachments

• P1000477.JPG
    P1000477.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 175
  • P1000482.JPG
    P1000482.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 156
  • P1000483.JPG
    P1000483.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What you got isn't thick enough, but mineral stained Poplar is about as pretty as it comes. I turned this out of a hunk.
MineralstainedPoplarbowl002.jpg

You could make some cool bookmatched panels out of it or box lids :dontknow:
Dave:)

MikeF

New User
Mike
OK, I promise I won't paint it. I'll come up with something (Suggestions Welcome).

Now I feel obliged to post the pics... of whatever it ends up being! I know you all love the pictures!

J

jeff...

Yep I'm almost certain that is poplar. It should be displayed on what ever piece you make out of it, door panels, box lid, etc... I wouldn't hid it. Wood simply doesn't get much better than this. But If you can't find a use for it send it my way, I'll take it off your hands. :drunken_s I'm sure I could find some use for it :lol:

MikeF

New User
Mike
I think I can see a box project in my future. There must be a new tool I can buy for that!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,
Sorry about the delayed post, but I've been out of town for a while. Glad you posted the question/pix because I have a similar piece I saved from a pallett. And I believe the Jeff, Jerry, and DaveO nailed the answer :lol:

mahoganypallet.jpg

Roger

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I think it develops the stain as it is growing, pulling whatever minerals are in the local soils into the tree?

sapwood

New User
Roger
What is mineral stained Poplar? Is it soaked in mineral spirit stain derivative?

I'm no wood expert, but I think much of the coloring in the pix I posted came from nails or objects resting on the wood pallet. Just add rain and time.

Of course, if someone deems it valuable I have a few small pieces I'll trade for a jointer :lol:

Roger

OriginalChong

New User
Al
rain + rusty nail + poplar = mineral stained poplar. Roger that. It'll be a cold day in hell when I trade power tools for wood. :new_evil:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

McRabbet

While nails and barbed fence wires can product mineral staining in wood, they are not the source of typical "Ambrosia" colors found in many woods. It is almost always from the actions of a boring beetle (guess what, its name is the Ambrosia Beetle) that invades older and susceptible trees (pines, poplar, maple, oak and some others) while the wood is wet. They often infest recently felled trees and bore small holes. A fungus associated with the beetle causes the reddish coloration. For more information, here is an informative Internet link. Another form of common decay staining is called spalting and it results in black stains. Both processes can destroy wood, but if caught at the right time, can dramatically raise the value of the hardwood.

HTH -- Rob

J

jeff...

Just a thought, drive a bunch of old rusty nails in a standing poplar tree wait a few years and you'll have stained poplar. I can usally tell if a log has trash in it by blue streaks in the end grain, easy to spot on light colored wood, almost impossible in dark wood.

J

jeff...

peel back the bark pour on a can or two of dark beer, cover with compost, keep out of the direct sun, make sure it's stays good and wet. In about 6 months of warm weather, you got yourself a spalted log. Theres a fine line between spalted and rotten :roll:. I'll trade you a jointer for a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS