Reported Post by SteveColes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
SteveColes has reported a post.

Reason:
this one bothers me. I'm not sure why. I guess I feel they are taking advantage of us.??? I don't feel they have broken any rule, just ?...
Post: Sell your machinery through Asheville Hardware, Woodworkers' Supply
Forum: User Announcements
Assigned Moderators: N/A

Posted by: Rebecca Gholson
Original Content:
Sell your woodworking machinery through our consignment program

Rates: You will receive 80% of the sales price if you choose to receive a check from us. You will receive 85% of the sales price if you choose to receive store credit.Checks: We issue payments on the first Monday of the month for sales made the previous month. We use snail mail to issue checks; we do not issue them in person.
Store credit: Store credit can be used once you are notified that your item has sold. We notify sellers on the first Monday of the month that their store credit has been issued and is on file at our store. We use email for this notification. If you have no email, we will call you.
Bringing in machinery: Please call or email to set up an appointment: 252-8088 or sales@ashevillehardware.com.
What we sell on consignment: We only sell used woodworking machinery in excellent condition. We sell any brand. Machinery must be 100% clean.

Asheville Hardware, Woodworkers' Supply and Asheville Woodworking School
The only comprehensive woodworking supply store in WNC
828-252-8088

10 Buxton Ave.
3 blocks south of the downtown post office on Coxe Avenue, turn onto Buxton opposite the Swannanoa Cleaners sign
Mon-Fri 9am-6pm and Sat 10am-5pm

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I would have to agree with you Steve. They could have at least contacted someone on the Staff to ask if it was allowed. I am curious to see what other Staff think.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
:dontknow: I don't think it's bad...

Hypothetically, if I was too lazy to list it in the classifieds here and was close enough to them, I could drop off my tool and let them do all of the work for me and just pick up a a check.

:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I my mind this post should not be allowed.

Not questioning it should it be pulled, but why shouldn't it be allowed?

It's a service they are offering. Kind of akin to sharpening, we all could do it, but do we?

I don't have a dog in the fight, just wondering...

M

McRabbet

I put it in the category of an advertisement and it is commercial, which we do not allow under our Classified Ad Policy. We have allowed Asheville Hardware to list their woodworking classes or special demonstrations in the events calendar, which I think is okay. I recommend that it be moderated and a PM sent. I must recuse myself from that process because we are discussing a discount for Western NC Woodworkers Association members with Asheville Hardware (they offered it to us).

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well, Rebecca has been a very frequent poster of events such as sales and classes at the store. She also actively updates the site calendar.

I'd say that they are offering us something, as opposed to selling us something.

In reading the classified ad policy, I think she would be best advised to speak to the staff first:
Commercial Ads or Services for Hire are not allowed in Classifieds, but certain "Special Sales" or Announcements may be placed as outlined below. Any Advertisements that do not meet these criteria may only be posted with the express permission of a Staff member (who shall be named in the Advertisement), or the Advertisement will be moderated or deleted. Classified Advertisements are for members only; guests may browse Advertisements, but do not see any Member contact information.

Jim

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
She's been posting a lot lately. Usually it has to do with Wood sales or available classes. From what I can tell in those cases she's been following the rules as stated in the policies and posting in the correct forums. In this case I'm not sure there is a rule that specifically addresses it though as it's a commercial business and does not fall directly under lumber or classes it could be read as being out of bounds.

Perhaps the feeling of "being taken advantage of" has to do with the number of recent posts? I also don't have a dog in this fight but I can understand where you're coming from. On one hand this seems like not a bad service offering for those in the area.... Had a member found out about it and posted it I wouldn't have blinked. On the other hand it is a commercial service being offered.

I'd suggest having a BOD member reach out and discuss the situation with her in a friendly manner. Maybe she'd be willing to purchase an ad on the right side of the site that she could update with her current offerings. It would help support the site, reduce/remove the "taken advatage of" feeling, and give her more exposure....

Travis

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Another grey area. I lean toward asking her to reconsider her post and removing it.

Yes it does offer our (lazy?) members another way to sell their tools. However, it may take away from members posting their tools here. That is a prominent feature of NCWW. Therefore, it can potentially hurt us and helps them in a commercail manner.

JM2CW

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I can argue this in either direction. But I think also that whoever is in charge of dealing with advertisers should strongly suggest that she hasn't yet broken existing policy, she is getting close and perhaps she should consider paid advertisement, then these kinds of posts would be covered under that.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd like to know if the offer for members here is a better deal than they normally give. Agreed that 15-20% sounds steep, but if they are showcasing the tool at their address it's probably a better way to sell than having someone find you, given the geography & population density of the region.
I'm with Steve here, I just think they should've asked first, per the policy.

Here's the problem: Does their faux pas merit any forbearance because of their present ad participation?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I'll Contact them. It is my responsibility. May be a day or two though.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you close the thread will it not trickle down & can't be bumped back up?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess it's kinda like your neighbor borrowing your lawn mower. You don't really mind him using it, you just want him to ask first, right?

cskipper

Cathy
I'm confused. If I recall correctly the forum we have for selling items was set up for two purposes; the first was as a convenience for members by providing a central place to list tools/wood... someone had for sale, and the second a tool for us to try to keep these all in one forum instead of scattered all over the site. It seems that all Rebecca is doing is offering another option for folks who opt to sell their tools. If they are willing to take a 15-20% hit for the convenience of someone else selling their tools, that's their decision. Anyone can sell their tools wherever and however they want. This is just another option.

M

McRabbet

Cathy,

Asheville Hardware is a strictly for profit business and we prohibit free commercial ads per our Classified Ad Policy. They are allowed to post notices of woodworking events and classes, but this a profit-making activity for them. Every post ever made by Rebecca Gholson (co-owner of the store with her husband Tom) has been for their business. They could place an ad on the site, but like our other woodworking vendors, they would need to pay for the ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS