Repair advice - metal workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I need to refurb the sliding table on my TS. The sliding table rides on two 1" dia steel rods, both of which have some galling (seized roller-bearings from a previous owner ?).

I'm thinking about buying some 1" steel rod and having it machined - here machining means drilling a couple of cross-axis bolt-holes.

Looking at the McMaster catalog, I'm leaning towards the O1 tool steel since it is precision ground to a stated tolerance. Not sure what the straightness tolerances are for hot- or cold-rolled, chromed-, etc.

The as-shipped hardness is given as "B89-B110". Is this a good match for supporting hardened bearing races ? Conversely, will this stuff be a bear to cross-drill ?

Is there a cheaper place to buy this stuff ? I'm looking at ~$53 per 1"x6' round.

-Mark

woodnick

New User
Nick
They were/are Thomson Rods which is the manufacturers of linear bearings. I use to buy them when I was working for a living!

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
mark can you post a photo of the table? looks like you're on the right track. we buy a lot from mcmaster carr to avoid paying OEM prices for parts like this.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mark, before you replace those rods, can you rotate them 90 or 120 degrees in order to provide a fresh surface for the bearings? You may be able to extend their lifespan that way.

Drilling tool steel usually requires some type of special bit, such as carbide, cobalt, etc. Most machine shops should be set up to drill it though.

Just for grins you might check to see what the OEM prices is for replacement slides - sometimes it can be less expensive due to manufacturing efficiencies.

Scott

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Along with Scott's suggestion, can they be chrome plated and then polished? Also call Applied Power Technologies and see if they carry, or can get shaft stock in the diameter and length you need. Unless these were hardened, this is probablly what the manufacturer used originally. Being as the bearings gauled them, I don't think they were hardened. Also over at NC Surplus warehouse is a piece of something(?) that may have the very rods you need. I stopped there today, and saw an item thay may have your rods in it.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
I am a tool maker and just last week I had a piece of 1 1/4 Thomson rod and put a keyway in it. they are only case hardened about .080 deep. I have drilled holes in them before. We have 4 machines with 1" Thomson rods in them and they ware out in about a year, just slidding back and forth about 3". If the rods are gauled you may need to replace the bearings also.
dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS