Question about CA Finish????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Ok, I have a question about CA Finish on pens and how everyone does it! When I learned the CA finish, it seems that everyone I could find was uusing the combination of BLO and CA to finish their pens. No real explanation on why the BLO was being used. I would imagine that it was probably to enhance the grain of the pens.
Does anyone still use this process or is everyone just using CA on the pens? What is the difference? Personnal preferrence or better finish?
Just looking for some more insight on finishing.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Hey Pat, I believe the use of BLO is expected to increase the figure of the wood. It is hoped to give a similar appearance as using an oil finish and then a topcoat, such as shellac... Personally, when I have tried it, I didn't see any value over just building up a nice coat of CA. But, it certainly wouldn't hurt to experiment some with it. I never found the BLO to take anything away from the pen! Anyway, I know there are people who always use BLO and have seen some threads on it on penturners.org.

good luck and PLEASE let me know if your findings are different...maybe my results are because of the applier and not the method. :0)

cheers,
Chris

dozer

Mike
Most people that use the blo ca combo apply it for a smoother finich with no sanding after your final application. They apply the ca then using a Bounty or Viva soft paper towel the very lightly rub the ca that they applied to the pen with the blo if done correctly the finish will turn out with no need for sanding and a nice gloss look.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
The the purpose of the BLO in conjunction with CA is two fold.
It acts as a lubricant so you are able(in theory) to get a level surface.
It also acts as an accelerant.
After finishing a pen with some very white aspen and glued up laminations I determined by the aspen turning yellow that BLO imparts a color I do not care for in the pens I use it on.
Also if you use it on something like antler the antler will also turn an amber color.
Russ Fairfield has a video clip on his CA/blo finish availbale at the IAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS