Planer purchase update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cato

New User
Bob
Got some good advice from everyone on planers recently, and had heard about someone getting a Dewalt 735 on sale at HD. I had called the one in Danville, as well as Greensboro to see if they had them on sale. Was told they did not have them anymore.

So went to Danville today to look at a Makita SCMS and kinda was hoping maybe the guy I talked to was wrong or didn't really look good when I called.

After looking at the Makita I went to the other side of the aisle and one the end of the row on the floor in the box was a 735 marked down from 649 to 279. That kind of stuff doesn't happen to me normally, and I was afraid to even leave it to go get a cart, so I flagged an employee and got him to go get a cart and load it and now its in the shop!! Yay, I am pleased to have gotten such a good deal.

I know I'll need to get the extension tables, but that's no biggie compared to scoring the planer.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Bob,

What a SNAG! Terrific. From the folks that I know have them, you'll be more than happy with your new [STRIKE]toy[/STRIKE] tool.

Now... you know... we DO need to see photos. Better if the photo / tool has sawdust on it. :gar-Bi

Cato

New User
Bob
Ray and Lefty, thanks, can't wait to unbox it tomorrow and get a footprint to design a little rolling cart for it. Thing is way too heavy to exactly call it a portable planer.

Once I learn how to use it I guess my next logical step would be to get a jointer.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Ray and Lefty, thanks, can't wait to unbox it tomorrow and get a footprint to design a little rolling cart for it. Thing is way too heavy to exactly call it a portable planer.

Once I learn how to use it I guess my next logical step would be to get a jointer.

Bob, since you're gonna build a cart, you can just build you some infeed/outfeed tables incorporated into the top of the cart and save another $110! Easily done!
:wsmile:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Seems ironic they can sell this planer for $279. I cannot believe they can make it for $279.....

Congrats! You won't regret it.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bob,
Congratulations, this is truly a great purchase and a great deal. When I purchased my DW735, I would have never imagined that anyone would purchase the same machine for $279. It begs the question, "How much mark-up is actually on these tools?"
:eek:ccasion1
Cheers!
Donn

Cato

New User
Bob
DRW, Mraudio- Yeah I still can't believe I scored that deal, and like you I have to wonder what the mark up is on woodworking tools.

I was going to have to build a table for the planer but I saved so much on the purchase that I ordered the extension wings and matching rolling table from Grizzly yesterday and still at under $500 for the whole shebang. BTW that Dewalt cart is $169 on nearly every web site. Grizzly has it listed for $99. For that price I bought it rather than buy the wood, casters, fasteners, and then having to build it.

I thought I got a good deal last year when HD put the R4511 tablesaw on sale for $450 and I needed to replace an aged Craftsman tablesaw quick for some summer projects. They just cleared that saw out recently for $299!!

When I bought the R4511 I was leery of the granite top, but for the price even then I thought the gamble was worth it. So far the saw has held up well, and it will be interesting to see how it will do with some thicker hardwoods now that I have a planer and can go to the lumber yard for wood.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome snag, Bob!!!:icon_thum

You are gonna really enjoy using that puppy. I have had one for about 3 years and it has performed admirably. (And I thought I got a deal at $350 w/coupons and a gift card!)

Nice to get a nice piece of equipment and have money left over for accessories!

Congrats

Wayne

ehpoole

Ethan
Oh well, yet another lost posting ... maybe someday we can get the session timeout set to something more reasonable... :gar-Cr

guitarted_phool

New User
david
I just got a Dewalt 734 last week, and finally got it in my shop today. Like I have room for it, but I certainly needed it. The first thing I'm going to run through it will be a fretboard for a dulcimer that I'm working on.

Good luck with your 735. Sounds like a steal!

peace,
dw

muztangFB

Joshua
Senior User
Congrats on the great deal. I actually called the same store and they told me they didn't have any, that's why I ended up driving to ga. for mine. Oh well, the trip was still worth it. Enjoy your new toy, I know I will.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
I just got a Dewalt 734 last week, and finally got it in my shop today. dw

You will love the 734. I have one and it fills up my shop vac very quickly:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors