Pistol Display Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Well, I recently completed two more pistol display boxes about a week and a half ago and figured it was about time I posted a few pix.

I made one box out of QSWO with an elm burl lid like I have in the past and I made the other box with BE maple with walnut burl for the lid. The finish is Watco natural oil with a waxed and buffed finish.

Additional photos are located in my album here.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
More beautiful work...you've got to space out your showing off, some of us would like to work in the shop this weekend without thinking we're complete hacks :lol: Are those inlay strips I'm seeing??? The recipients will be very honored to receive those :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Dave:)

dozer

Mike
Wow really nice work I just might have to build one for my father in-law he has some old colt 6 shooters that are hie prize possession.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
You have been busy more fine boxes:eusa_clap
I like the design of them:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Superb Work, DL -- Your recipients will be very proud to show these off!

Rob

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Nicely done DL, did you vacuum press the veneer or iron on? Do you cut the lid after glue up or do you build the box & lid seperate?

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Superb work DL:eusa_clap
The material and support/batting for the gun, what is it and where do you get them...
Always looking for ways to improve my display/presentation cases as well
really nice work

Gary

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
Are those inlay strips I'm seeing??? Dave:)

Dave, yes, I use inlay strips where the top and bottom joins the sides. It is a great help in hiding any screw ups you might have at your glue line. Plus I have found that it really adds to the box.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
D L Ames said:
It is a great help in hiding any screw ups you might have at your glue line.
D L

Like there are screw ups in any of your boxes. Beautiful work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve D said:
Nicely done DL, did you vacuum press the veneer or iron on? Do you cut the lid after glue up or do you build the box & lid separate?

Steve, I used a vacuum press to apply the veneer. Here is a shot of the set up I use. I have used it a few times now for small projects and it works great.:icon_thum It is made by Vacu-Clamp.

Vacu-ClampBag.JPG

Vacu-ClampGauge.JPG

As for the lid assembly. I glue up the box completely (minus the veneer panel) then cut the coves on the top and bottom of the box. Once the coves are cut I separate the lid from the box using the TS.

D L

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
kota62 said:
Superb work DL:eusa_clap
The material and support/batting for the gun, what is it and where do you get them...
Always looking for ways to improve my display/presentation cases as well
really nice work

Gary

Thanks Gary, The material was purchased at either Wal-Mart or Hancock Fabrics down on Raeford Rd near Tallywood shopping center. The support/batting for the pistol is nothing more that 2 layers of 1" high density foam (Wal-Mart) with the first layer cut out for the shape of the pistol and magazine. I have a couple of templates made out of 1/4" ply that have the outlines of a 9 mm and .45 cal cutout so I can use as a template when cutting the foam. The material is placed loosely over the foam to allow me to bunch it up some and then wrapped over the sides and secured to a 1/4" backer board on the bottom foam using thumb tacks. I use 3M spray adhesive to glue the two pieces of foam together and to attach the backer board to the bottom piece of foam.

D L

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
DL, Your work shows a lot of patience in that smaller projects such as your boxes seem to magnify the slightest errors, and yet you turned out some beautiful pieces.
I have a woodworking buddy who wants to build boxes for his twin sons who have the Colt Model 1911. The initial dilemma he faces is determining the size of the box. Could you, or someone else who has a 1911 handy, take some measurements to determine the smallest rectangle in which the 1911 would fit? This would allow him to provide for the appropriate margines and design a box to fit.
Thanks,
Roy

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, those are incredibly beautiful. This rapid fire posting of intricate projects completed in a few weeks makes me wonder if I missed the memo. Have you already retired?:lol: :lol:

As usual you work is flawless, the design is beautiful, the colors carefully matched. Fantastic! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Do you shape the top frames with the TS? The fit looks incredibly tight.

Chuck

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Grgramps said:
DL, Your work shows a lot of patience in that smaller projects such as your boxes seem to magnify the slightest errors, and yet you turned out some beautiful pieces.
I have a woodworking buddy who wants to build boxes for his twin sons who have the Colt Model 1911. The initial dilemma he faces is determining the size of the box. Could you, or someone else who has a 1911 handy, take some measurements to determine the smallest rectangle in which the 1911 would fit? This would allow him to provide for the appropriate margins and design a box to fit.
Thanks,
Roy

Roy,
The inside dimensions of these boxes which were made for M-1911 are 8-1/4" x 1-1/4" which provide room for margins on the side. Here is another shot from my album. Just let me know if he needs more accurate dimensions on the pistol and I should be able to get those for him. I hope this helps.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
cpowell said:
Wow, those are incredibly beautiful. This rapid fire posting of intricate projects completed in a few weeks makes me wonder if I missed the memo. Have you already retired?:lol: :lol:

As usual you work is flawless, the design is beautiful, the colors carefully matched. Fantastic! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Do you shape the top frames with the TS? The fit looks incredibly tight.

Chuck

Chuck, I actually cut the miters for the top and bottom frames with my SCMS set at 45°. Once the box was glued up completely (minus the top panel) the cove detail was then cut on the top and bottom using the table saw prior to separating the lid from the box. I hope this answered your question.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS