Oliver jointer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanSr008

New User
Ian
I have my eye on a Oliver 4230 8" jointer and it comes stock with a carbide helical cutterhead. Cost $1560 new. Has any one worked with this brand before. All that I have read has been positive. Just looking for a little more info. Thanks

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hi Ian!
Moved you post to a separate thread so it will stand out and elicit more responses!

HTH,
Roger

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I haven't, but our member Woodguy1975 had the 10" jobber and seemed to be very happy with it.

As for a helical head, I have shelix in my jointer, and I would suggest any unit with an insert cutter head is quiet and smooth cutting.

bwat

New User
Bill
Be sure to check with Wall Lumber as they are an Oliver dealer and often have in-stock deals.:icon_thum

woodguy1975

New User
John
As Travis said I have the 10" Oliver jointer with a Byrd head. I LOVE this jointer. I've had a few and used and number of them and this machine constantly impresses me. It passes the nickle test no sweat. If I had to pick a favorite tool this would be it. Oliver supplies a number of jointers to Grizzly. I know this for a fact. So you may want to look at the Griz that looks the same as the Oliver and see which one will cost you less. They are the exact same machine with the exception of paint. I had a conversation with one of their engineers a while back when I had a starter issue. Back then Oliver used US motors while Grizzly used their import motors, but I'm not sure if Oliver still puts marathon or baldor in their machines. I think they may have gone to the import the same as the grizzly model.

From my conversation with their engineer I have one of the first 10" jointers sold in the US.

Good Luck,

John

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Ian, I've got the 12" Oliver with a helical cutter head and think it's great.

Bob

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
+1 on the recommendation to purchase through Steve Wall at Wall lumber. He's a really great guy to work with.

Scott

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
add one more to Steve Wall's reputation :thumbs_up; imho you can't go wrong dealing with Steve, besides he roasts his own coffee, always a positive in my book - but wait, this isn't a coffee forum - sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS