New to the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bodger

Hello,
i am a professional chairmaker near new bern, you may not get many capital letters in this as i broke my arm last week so am typing with one finger instead of the usual two. we used slide rules when i went to school which may have been an english thing not a time thing so the typing/ computer thing is still new territory.
i make by hand in the shop/house i built contemporary english stick chairs no lathe work all hand carved etc. i make 2 a week, usually and sell off my website and a couple of shows a year such as the philadelphia fine furniture show.
i would be happy to answer any questions re chairmaking not that i am an expert ,far from it, each chair teaches me something and refines my style/design/idea a little further. as i custom make each chair to fit the patrons measurements it can stretch your ideas on aesthetics.
hope i am hitting the right buttons here. i look forward to seeing some of your work this week as i browse this site.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your arm, I'm sure that puts a cramp in your chair production. I am not familiar with the style of chair you make, so I look forward to being able to see some pictures if you can post them. Also please list your website if you haven't already. One of the adminisrators can post it on the top page for all to see and visit. See you around. Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ouch! A broken arm impacts more than typing. Hope you have a swift recovery. :-(

Look forward to seeing your chairs:mrgreen:

Sapwood

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Beautiful work:icon_thum We have a forum and a couple of threads of that started recently about how to price projects. I'm sure all would welcome any advice you have in the matter

sapwood

New User
Roger
Michael,

Just checked out your website--wow 8-O

Beautiful home and striking workmanship, and I really appreciate the usage of local wood.

And to think I came soooo close to buying property in Grantsboro about six years ago :BangHead: Glad you found it ;-)

We have another Englishman on the forum--DavidF. Currently he is on a catamaran somewhere between here and Grenada :jealous: But when he returns in December, I'm sure you'll be hearing from him.

Why Not?
Sapwood

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
We have a list of websites on the left of most pages. If you would like yours there, just send me the info in a PM and it'll get there

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome to the site. I hope your arm gets better soon. I'm going to go look at your web site now!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, I just checked out your website. To start, well done site, and amazing work. I am again honored to be in the presence of a true craftsman/artist. Our membership list is really getting to have the cream of the crop. Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Michael,

Welcome to the site and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Your chairs are beautiful and I really like the use of contrasting woods. I look forward to learning more about your techniques.

ZMan

New User
Bob
Oooooh, you do good work. You're going to be a real asset around here. I'll call for advice when I start working on my house next year.
Z

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Michael,

...just visited your web site. Both your house and your chairs are outstanding!!

Especially the chairs are works of art!

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Bernhard

PS Ever considered holding a workshop/seminar on Windsor chair making?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Michael, welcome aboard. Your chairs and home are fantastic.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I look forward to hearing some of your words of wisdom and advise on woodworking. I hope you have a speedy recovery so you can get back into the shop soon.

D L

B

Bodger

thank you for the kind remarks, i had a plate and screws put in my arm on wednesday and it is feeling much better now. i have a couple of chairs on my bench ready for oiling and i will give that a onehanded shot today.

i do not give lessons my insurance company will not cover me, even though it is all handwork there are powertools in my shop.

anyone is welcome to come and chat/try in my shop for a few hours.

sapwood, it is lovely here just lucky i ship all my chairs as there is no local clientele. i hope to hear from the english cat sailor we went sailing on our cat for a few years from canada to the bahamas.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard. Take it easy on those arms thou. No need to rush! Look forward to your site as I am making my first attempt at a rocking chair. You talk and I'll listen. :eusa_thin

DavidF

New User
David
Hey Bodger,

Welcome! these guys are a great bunch; although their spelling is a bit strange sometimes:lol: Don't let them give you too much flack and keep the English spelling, always gets 'Em:)

I'm no sailor, but a grateful passenger. Our friends have 43' Halberg-Rassy Mono hull in Grenada that we have just spent a fortnight on.

Your web site stuff looks amazing, really nice furniture, good to have you on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS