New Shop Diary - Updated 16 August 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

crokett

New User
David
I added the most recent pic at the bottom of this thread.

It has been a while since I posted an update. The old thread is closed so.... I've been busy and here is a current pic. The roof sheathing is on and roofing felt is on so no more tarp! I will start getting the trim on and hopefully hang the doors this weekend.

roofon.jpg

thrytis

New User
Eric
Re: New Shop Diary - Updated 15 June 2009

Looks good! Do you have much to do on the inside, or are you still completely dependent on the weather when you can work on it?

crokett

New User
David

With the roofing felt on on I am much more independent of weather. The inside is more or less intact. When we sectioned it we left most of the sheathing on the walls. I cut it back at the corners and floor to nail it all back together. I will also have to remove some of it to do some of the wiring but that will happen after everything is fully dried in.

Outa Square

New User
Al

the weather hasn't been too cooperative this year to date. You started after me and you are far ahead of me as i am hoping to get my roof on this weekend, weather permitting. I believe we are both building about the same size shop... 16 x 24?

looks good.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

What a journey!

I see a potential shop for an upcoming Shop Crawl!

Jim

crokett

New User
David
Re: New Shop Diary - Updated 1 JulyJune 2009

Well as of this past weekend I have officially been working on the shop for two months, if you don't count setting the footings and beams.

Here is current progress. I rebuilt the door casing and installed most of the trim. I still have one gable end, the soffits and piece of corner trim that I can't find. I also poured the footings, set the posts and installed the front porch/deck/whatever. I also started patching the cement board siding. The gable ends will get covered with vinyl siding.

I need to speak with the contractor who put the structure back up.

This weekend I plan to start rebuilding the screened porch.

As for the shop crawl... it will be a few months, unless y'all want to come help me shingle it later this month. :D

trimon.jpg

crokett

New User
David
Re: New Shop Diary - Updated 5 July 2009

I started the porch. Floor is down, posts are up and the beam that supports the rafters is set. I didn't get quite as far as I wanted - other things needed doing plus I wanted to take some family time this weekend. Today I was also dodging rain showers all day.

porch1.jpg

I also got the doors on and did a few other odds and ends.

doorson.jpg

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan

I love the screened-in porch idea. It will be wonderful to do some of your work outside without worrying about bug bites. Are those skylights in the roof?

crokett

New User
David

Al,

I missed your post earlier. Yep, 16x24. I don't know if you started from scratch. I didn't. I was putting a building back up that I'd moved from somewhere else, so once the walls were up they were already sided, sheathed and insulated. The weather the first couple weeks was touch n go. I only had 1 really sticky time even with all the rain we had. One night I was up on a ladder in the rain with a hose siphoning 30 gallons of water out of the tarp. A few days after I got the roofing felt on I stood out there in the rain listening to it and watching it roll off the roof. :)

Anna.

Those are skylights. I don't plan on doing much woodworking on the porch. There isn't a door direct to the shop anyway. I thought about one but would rather have the wall space. The porch is there for a place to sit and enjoy the pool. Eventually I will extend the deck over to the pool.

Glennbear

Glenn

Al,

I missed your post earlier. Yep, 16x24. I don't know if you started from scratch. I didn't. I was putting a building back up that I'd moved from somewhere else, so once the walls were up they were already sided, sheathed and insulated. The weather the first couple weeks was touch n go. I only had 1 really sticky time even with all the rain we had. One night I was up on a ladder in the rain with a hose siphoning 30 gallons of water out of the tarp. A few days after I got the roofing felt on I stood out there in the rain listening to it and watching it roll off the roof. :)

Anna.

Those are skylights. I don't plan on doing much woodworking on the porch. There isn't a door direct to the shop anyway. I thought about one but would rather have the wall space. The porch is there for a place to sit and enjoy the pool. Eventually I will extend the deck over to the pool.

The skylights are a great idea. :icon_thum You are probably better off without a door leading directly from the shop to a deck you are extending to the pool. Sawdust + wet feet = overworked pool filter. :gar-La;

crokett

New User
David
Re: New Shop Diary - Updated 27 July 2009

The porch roof is on and felted. Next weekend I will finish the facia, install the drip edge and start the shingles. Shingles are the last big job then the rest of it can be done as a here and there kinda thing. At night this week I will start the rewiring inside. I want to paint the walls white before I start moving things in.

The green chairs have become somewhat of a running joke. Last night I finally sat on my shady porch in one and had a beer. After a dip in the pool. :gar-Bi

porchfacia.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Looking good. One comment/suggestion. I painted my walls white, and in retrospect regret it. If I had it to do over again I would use a "warmer" color. To me, it now feels like the white is a bit "Spartan".

sapwood

New User
Roger

. . .
The green chairs have become somewhat of a running joke. Last night I finally sat on my shady porch in one and had a beer. After a dip in the pool. :gar-Bi

Hey, I really like those chairs. Ok, perhaps not the lime green part :rolleyes:
I have had a couple for 5-6 years and they are my favs :icon_thum
Just hit 'em with the power washer once in the spring and leave them out year round.

Of course, I really like the shop too!
We'll be awaiting more updates . . .

Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Sure looks classy with the front porch!

(I know of some lakefront cottages up in Northern Ontario that sure don't look this nice.)

Can't wait to see some photos of the insides too!!

Wayne

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken

Nice progress David, I'm happy for you bud.

Now, those are some dang ugly chairs! :)

DaveO probably has some nice Peach paint to spare. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS