Need Lathe Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Ok, I want to learn to turn. However, I have no lathe and no tools:eusa_doh:

I was thinking that I would get a full size lathe with a rotating headstock (LOML wants me to make her some chargers, platters, etc once I get halfway decent). I have seen a new Delta runs around $600 (plus tools, +++).

However, I found a couple deals recently on old lathes that would allow probably 6" clearance to the bed priced anywhere from $75 to $100, but no rotating headstock.

For you turners out there - should I just get an old / cheap lathe and figure out what I am doing? Or do I spend a little more for something that will handle more of what I want to do? Am I going to get irritated with a $100 or even $600 lathe?

Nobody in any of the stores seems to be able to explain to me where my extra money goes when you get a more expensive lathe. All I can gather is you get more weight and that translates into stability / reduced vibration. If that was true, why would anyone buy a Oneway? Just strap some lead to a HF lathe:rolf:

Thanks for any and all help:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You can always turn small things on a big lathe. The lathe cost is a small part of the bigger picture, I would get as big of a lathe as you can afford. Yes more money equals more weight and stability, plus better construction and more adaptiblity. The HF lathe is a decent deal for the money and you can add mass to it to increase it's stability, but the durability of bearing and motor are what you would expect for the price.

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
I agree with Dave mostly. If you have never turned anything I would suggest that you go take a class or go to someone's house who can show you. You will probably find it as addicting as the rest of us, but not all do. I did buy the biggest lathe I could afford at that time, and it's a Jet mini VS. I already want a bigger one - but for right now it's more of a "More power" kind of mindset. I haven't done enough on mine to even think about going on to bigger pieces. Mostly, I don't have a place to store the wood as it dries (if I start with green). And if I'd had to wait to buy a larger one I would have probably not have started turning at all.

Dave's other point is a major one. The lathe is only a fraction of what it will cost you to turn anything. You will easily spend at least as much on chucks, tools....

So, with that in mind, do buy the most you can afford. (I'm guessing that didn't help much, huh?)

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I have actually gone back and forth on the HF lathe. I read a couple glowing reviews on their $279 model, but I am always hesitant to buy large shop tools from HF. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this lathe?

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hey Matt. Try posting a PM to Howard Lang (helang). He is a member on the ncwoodworkers site, also from Wilmington. He started the Wilmington Area Woodturners Assn. They meet the 2nd Saturday of each month at Anchor Hardwoods shop. I'm sure he could offer good advise!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Also ask Michaelgarner, he has one of the big HF lathe's. last time I was over he had a project mounted on it.

BBF

New User
David & Judy
Hello Everyone again, I am using the HF lathe. It seems to be doing a great job for me and for the prie I am very happy with it. I got the $20 warrentee on it and if anything goes wrong with it you just bring it back and they give you a new one for a year. I don't know how long it will last with the amount of work I do but as for right now it is doing a good job. My comment is that it would make a excellent first lathe and if mine keeps going it will make a good long term lathe.
Just thought I would give you my 2 cents.
Hope this helps.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I think Skeeter has given good advice. Find a place you can do some "hands on" turning on different machines. talk to some experienced turners and then decide how serious you want to be about turning. I used a sears craftsman for 25 years--------I finally bit the bullet and went to a PM 3520, variable speed and reversing motor. My only regret is waiting so long to do it. I turned and sold enough work in one craft season to more than pay for it. I may never learn enough to use it at its full capacity but I will have fun trying.:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
If you opt to go for the HF lathe, keep an eye on their sales and coupons. That lathe regularly goes on sale for $179 and if you catch it when they also have to 20% off coupon, you've saved a bundle.

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Thanks for all the advice. I have to be honest, I referred to the HF lathe as a bit of a joke above. Unless someone can give me a really good reason to think otherwise, I try to avoid HF.:eusa_snoo My experiences there have shown that even with all the technological advancements in the last century, the law of "you get what you pay for" still applies...:eusa_doh:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Matt,
The higher end HF lathe has received some very good reviews. Is it as good as a Delta or Jet? No, but you will pay considerably more for either of those lathes new. Your best bet is to pick up something used, if you can find a good deal.

My view of a first lathe is that it is probably not the last lathe (just bought my first, an old Rockwell/Delta). My plan is to master some techniques and if I get to be good enough and like turning, then I will upgrade and pass the lathe along to someone else to serve as their first lathe.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I have the harbor freight lathe, It is a solid machine, castiron bed, solid construction throughout. I waited untill it went on sale for 179.00 and then took in a 20% discount card. I just turned a table lamp with ease on it. I have used delta, jet, and general lathes before. The harbor freight is close to them. The over all parts arent as refined, burrs on the edge and so forth. I decided on this one becouse I dont do a lot of turning right now. I use it mainly for a couple pens, lamps, and molding for furniture. If your ever in the area stop by and you can throw some chips. Over all its a quality machine, I performed a lot of research on it before I got it as well. There are some good reviews on the net about it too. And the good part is that all the grizzly accesories will fit it. Harbor freight is notorious for motor problems, but I went into the purchase knowing to save for a really nice motor to replace it with. So when I collect my pennies every payday I set a couple bucks aside for that rainy day. hope its helped. be blessed.

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
Hi Matt,
Here are my two cents, when you get a lathe you are going to quickly want to buy accessories, and they are not cheap. The first thing you'll want to buy is a good chuck, ONEWAY, NOVA, and VICMARC make popular ones and they run around $250.00. One of these is almost a "must have" if you are going to do much turning. The tools will cost you around $75.00 - $100.00 to start out with a couple of gouges and a skew. Then you have to keep them sharp so add a grinder or one of those high dollar Tormek sharpening systems. Don't forget safety...a good face shield with air filter is a must too. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that a lot of expense comes after you buy the lathe so just make sure that the accessories you might want will fit on the particular lathe you want to buy (a less expensive no name lathe won't be a good buy if you can't get parts and accessories for it). Also because there are so many kinds of tools at a wide range of prices the best thing to do is contact your local woodturning club and get some hands on time with some of these different tools before you invest in them. Also the club I'm in sometimes gets together and has a tool making day at a members shop. Home made tools are every bit as good as the high dollar store bought tools. Ok enough of my going on...woodturning is great fun, unlike most woodworking projects if you make a mistake you can just make it smaller or turn it into something else.....Have fun!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Matt -

I too have the HF 34706. I was looking to get into turning and try it out. I bought the 34706 from a fellow member here, used. Since I got it in Dec, I have had one formal class and done some practicing on my own. It appears to be a good 'starter' lathe. I have found nothing wrong with it (with the things I have done thus far). There are better, and much better, lathes out there but this one has done well so far. It is a clone of the Jet 1236, variable speed control, rotating head, cast iron bed, etc. Everyone else is correct when they say that the true cost of turning comes after the lathe. I started with the $40 set of HF tools. They work but there are better. My shopping list now includes a true spindle roughing gouge, a better small spindle gouge, a bowl gouge, a grinder (with good alum ox wheels), and a sharpening jig (purchased or homemade). I can see many things beyond that. The list above will be in excess of $325-$350. I'm not sure that I'm hooked yet, but I can feel the slipperiness of the slope.

George

cskipper

Cathy
I hate to tell you this, but once you notice the slipperiness (is that a word?) you are already hooked!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Slipperyness?

Slipperieness?

Slippereiness?

I don't know! Pick one you like! 8-O :lol: :) :-D

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors