Musical finish???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
After hearing Bladeburner's audio file of the tongue drum he made I decided that I needed to make one. And then thought I got two birthdays coming up, my daughter's and niece's, and X-mas, so why not make two and at least cover some gift requirements.
So here is my version of the Wood magazine's Tongue Drum. Almost exactly like the plan except for using QSRO, and chamfers on the corners.

Tongue_drums_and_pics_by_AVA_022.jpg

Tongue_drums_and_pics_by_AVA_025.jpg

Tongue_drums_and_pics_by_AVA_023.jpg

The article said that they used a wipe-on poly for the finish. I would like to avoid using poly if possible, only because I like the fast dry time of shellac and lacquer. Plus I would be concerned with poly dripping into the saw kerfs of the tongues.
I have heard that musical instruments need a certain type of finish that will alllow the wood to vibrate. Also this will be a kids toy, so that finish needs to be tough. Any suggestions as to which route to go. I would like to use my old favorite of shellac, lacquer and wax, but am open to suggestions that might perform better, and anything that won't make these drums sound any worse 8-O :lol: :lol:
Thanks, Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Great job on the drums. I bet they sound neat. As to the finish, shellac works for me. It will bring out the wood grain nicely and it's my understanding it is not harmful if injested. Course I wouldn't think anyone would be chewing on them but ????? I watch a fair amount of "Handmade Music" and Shellac, lacquer seem to be the finish of choice for most luthiers. Anyway, just my .02. So, when are you going to try out for the "Blue Man Group"? ( Love em)

Mike

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

I'm not sure what the "kid proof" finish is... actually I'm not sure here is one... but the drums are beautiful.

Ray

T

toolferone

Dave, Those are really cool looking. So where is your sound file? We want to hear them. I really like the storage for the mallets.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I wish that I knew how to do a sound file :5dunce: . They have a unique sound, some very distinct lows and tight highs. Not tuned to any scale but a unique sound that doesn't sound like it would come out of a box like that.
It is quite addictive, I can't walk past them in the shop without giving them a few taps. Each sounds unique, despite being cut out of the same Padauk and Red Oak boards.
Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No, but I have seen several tongue drums with sound ports cut into their sides. I am wondering if that would help with air movement and crisp up the low frequency range (which sounds rather dull).

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Dave, As previously mentioned, shellac should do the job. It's so easy to apply and your children are not going to spill alcoholic drinks on the drums. Stradivarius got pretty good results using shellac and there's evidence that it stands up to many years of use. Furthermore, it may be the easiest of finishes to repair if there is the need. Go for it.
Roy

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Those look really nice! You can find 'L' shaped felt cushions that just fit the feet at HD; fit perfect and eliminate the buzzing when sitting on tables etc.
I know what you mean about addictive. I can't walk by without giving mine a coupla' whacks! I put gloss poly on mine, but then I put wipe on poly or spray shellac on everything.
Most newer digital cameras have a 'movie or video' setting and a built-in microphone that will let you capture a small mpg clip.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Dave thoughts look great:eusa_danc Master makes a stringed instrument lacquer. It is formulated for instruments that have to vibrate and move to produce their certain sound.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
No, but I have seen several tongue drums with sound ports cut into their sides. I am wondering if that would help with air movement and crisp up the low frequency range (which sounds rather dull).

Guess you'll just have to make another one with ports to find out:lol::lol::lol:
They look great:eusa_clap Would love to hear the sound they make:eusa_thin

JRD

New User
Jim
OK, Are there plans available?

Looks like something that could be a fun project if there are. I'd be interested.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I got mine from Wood mag. Oct. '06 issue. If you don't have it or get it, I can send you some copies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, I ended up going with my old stand-by finish of blonde shellac for a little color and the several coats of gloss lacquer with a final coat of semi-gloss and paste wax.

Tongue_drums_and_pics_by_AVA_030.jpg

Had a little problem getting the finish into the saw kerfs without pooling on the horizontal surfaces :eusa_doh: But I like the way it came out and the sound hasn't changed. Now if I can only get a sound file uploaded y'all could hear what it sounds like.

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks great - and nice looking picture too! The calendar contest is really prompting some nice "photo finishes"! I think that pic would look nice sometime around spring/summer. ;)

JRD

New User
Jim
Dave,

How thick is the top piece of wood? The one the actual tongue cuts are made into.

Thanks,

Jim

sapwood

New User
Roger
The is a great job of finishing Dave! :icon_thum

If you can record on analog cassette or whatever, I/you can easily import to Mac/PC. You should have a sound-in port on your PC. Just hookup microphone and "play on the drums all day" or record to any device you have. The software on your PC is probably already built in. If not, there are many freeware/shareware apps that will do it. Usually the only hardware required is a mini jack to RCA jacks cord.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS