Maybe you wanna build this!? UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hello all,

As unbelievable as it sounds, it looks like no NCWW'er has decided to build a harpsichord.:gar-La;
Being a glutton for punishment, I thought I'd try again - this time with a somewhat less ambitious project. Here it is,

ott1.gif

This is a music box that is an exact replica of a full sized 17th century Ottavino, which is a kind of Virginal, which is a kind of harpsichord, which is a kind of musical instrument. It measures only 11 1/2" x 5 7/8" x 5 3/4" and it plays when your fingers depress the keyboard and stops playing when you release the keyboard.

Due to the fact that this is a much smaller project than the full sized instrument we built in the Harpsichord Project, it only took me 221 pages to document its construction in a new e-book.

Thanks to Tracy for giving me permission to include my website in this post. If any NCWW member would like to build this little music box you can go to my website to read more about it. Please don't click the "Buy Now" button to purchase it. Instead, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a link to download a free copy! Fair enough?

Thanks for looking,

Ernie

cskipper

Cathy
Re: Maybe you wanna build this!?

Ernie, I alway look at your work with awe, but don't see me ever attempting one.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley

Ernie,

Another masterpiece for sure. Wonderfully done. Can't think of anything else to say that is more flattering. You da man.

Mike

M

McRabbet

Another incredible masterpiece from the Master!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

Hello all,

As unbelievable as it sounds, it looks like no NCWW'er has decided to build a harpsichord.:gar-La;
Being a glutton for punishment, I thought I'd try again - this time with a somewhat less ambitious project. Here it is,

ott1.gif

This is a music box that is an exact replica of a full sized 17th century Ottavino, which is a kind of Virginal, which is a kind of harpsichord, which is a kind of musical instrument. It measures only 11 1/2" x 5 7/8" x 5 3/4" and it plays when your fingers depress the keyboard and stops playing when you release the keyboard.

Due to the fact that this is a much smaller project than the full sized instrument we built in the Harpsichord Project, it only took me 221 pages to document its construction in a new e-book. I don't think it would be appreciated by the powers that be if I gave you a link to my website but if you think you'd like to build one (maybe for a Christmas present) drop me a PM or Google 'Music Box Construction'.

Thanks for looking,

Ernie

Ernie, As webmaster I think I can speak for all of the staff and BOD that a link to your website would be a favorable addition to North Carolina Woodworker. Feel free to post the link and if for some off the wall reason it is unacceptable we will remove it. (Not Likely).

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member

Thanks Tracy. I didn't want to violate any NCWW policies by doing so. Please remove it if it does.
This is really a woodworking project - not a book about making a musical instrument. If anyone wants to read more about making this music box the site is: www.ernestmillermusicboxes.com

Ernie

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
PM sent.

I think I have made about 10 music boxes in my life, so I ought to be qualified for this project :rotflm:

Really, I just think the on/off mechanism is cool and want to take a look at that. And what you're using for a movement. Maybe how you spec the soundboard too.

-Mark

skeeter

New User
Charles
Awesone work. I have often wondered how a "somewhat less ambitious project" looked. I don't see myself getting ambitious.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Awesone work. I have often wondered how a "somewhat less ambitious project" looked. I don't see myself getting ambitious.

Thank you Charles, and everyone else, for the kind words. Actually, this is a case where looks are deceiving. The construction of this music box is really quite simple and would pose no real challenge to anyone here.

Ernie

M

McRabbet

Your plans are very reasonable and, knowing you, are flawless (your sample pages are awesome!). Since there is such variation in movements, do you recommend a 30, 36 or 72 note movement for one of these to match the style of the Ottavino they would be placed in? What price range are the movements?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Your plans are very reasonable and, knowing you, are flawless (your sample pages are awesome!). Since there is such variation in movements, do you recommend a 30, 36 or 72 note movement for one of these to match the style of the Ottavino they would be placed in? What price range are the movements?

Thanks Rob. Since my emphasis is on the look of the music box and not the sound, I use an inexpensive 18 note movement. The advantage to use a larger movement is the greater variety of music available. The prices, however, are very high. It's possible to spend hundreds of dollars on the mechanism alone - which would defeat the goal of an easy-to-build, inexpensive, yet realistic music box. I don't think that the charm of this box would be enhanced by using a more expensive mechanism. It would, however, keep people from building one for themselves.

Yes, I tried to keep the price reasonable (free for NCWW members) to encourage woodworkers to build the music box. For the rest of the world, $14.00 will allow me to recoup the time I spent in writing the e-book in about 75 years.:wsmile:

Ernie

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Ernie - thanks again for your generosity and tell your wife (hope I got that right) the painting is very cool.

Rob (or anyone else) - if you want to compare notes about movements, PM me or we can start a different thread. I too am looking for choices.

-Mark

jhreed

New User
james
Doug, do not miss the opportunity to visit Ernie. He lives in a beautiful development, in a fantastic house with a fairey tail shop and has a lovely and gracious wife. Although not a native, he is the epitomy of the SOUTHERN GLENTLEMAN. I do not use that designation lightly. I promise you will enjoy!!
James

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I visited Ernie last year and had dinner with the local crew the night before my race. Here we are in the shop:

P7150247.JPG

M

McRabbet

Ernie -- you are too generous to the membership here at NCWW. I will PM you with my request, but I am more than willing to pay the small amount you are asking for the download -- you obviously put lots of effort into it. In lieu of payment to you, I am donating $25 to NCWW and I would encourage other to make some donation as well. Thanks!!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie -- you are too generous to the membership here at NCWW. I will PM you with my request, but I am more than willing to pay the small amount you are asking for the download -- you obviously put lots of effort into it. In lieu of payment to you, I am donating $25 to NCWW and I would encourage other to make some donation as well. Thanks!!

Rob,

Thank you - I think that's a wonderful idea. Hopefully some NCWW'ers will get a nice project to build and NCWW can benefit too.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS