? Making big stuff flat and smooth ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Maybe you guys could help me get a clue. I see wide slabs like this one on some of the premium lumber yards

hardwood_table_tops.jpg

My question is how in the world do the manage to get a big honking slab like that so smooth?

I had my eye on a 52" planer for quite some time it's powered by a Cat diesel - the planer and motor sits sideways on a dual axle trailer complete with 4' long flip up roller type in feed and out feed roller tables and the trailer is leveled by six jack down legs, it's something that could be easily pulled behind a pickup and brought to a jobsite for some serious work. I think it has a 12 height capacity so @ 12 x 52 - you can just imagine what kind of heavy duty beast this thing is - it aint no lunch box planer that's for sure. Sorry not sharing pics at this time (I'm greedy) :wink_smil

It also can be arranged as a gang rip saw for straight line rip or an edger also can be setup as a dual drum sander and he has a lot of knifes for the molding head to make molding too - he showed me some nice wide 4" oak crown he cut on the machine. The dust chute is powered by a separate I think it was 12 HP maybe it was bigger gas motor and seemed like it could throw planer chips a good 30 away'. The guy demo-ed it for me and this thing gobbled up a 20" wide oak slab like it was nothing but talking about loud - I stood at what I considered a safe distance and still felt the vibration of those knifes chomping on the oak. It's pretty much major surgery to switch out the planer head for gang rip, molding or sanding. But he has everything to go with it including pillow block bearings, chains and even all the nuts and bolts they are stored in a handy steel box that sits on the trailer. Changing out heads is not something you would want to do every day - if you know what I mean.

Is this what the big yards do with these wide slabs? I'm sorry I just can see a bunch of guys working on a slab that big with Stanley's - you know?

Thanks

J

jeff...

I think they drag them down the road behind a pickup truck.

I thought about that too Jerry - I may have to get up with Earl so he can show me his perfected "drag a board behind the pickup to make it flat" technique. I'm sure there is more to it than meets the eye... like maintaining proper speed, length of drag time and temperature of the asphalt.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
No, the slab you showed was Iroko, not Bubinga. So that can't be it :rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS