Look at the picture and guess what I finally scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
layer_test.gif

If you are having trouble figuring out what it is check it out here:

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

gator

George
Corporate Member
I figured out that this is one of those things called a plane (I think :lol: :lol: ). But, not being a neander, you'll have to fill me in on what is special about it, rare?, hard to find?, what?

George

Monty

New User
Monty
Not particularly rare or hard to find, just a "status symbol" for the true knuckle-dragging neanderthal. It's a scrub plane (No 40 if it's a Stanley), made for processing rough stock quickly. The blade on this plane has a convex grind, and it leaves a surface with ridges that must then be planed smooth and level. This is just the first plane in the "rough to ready" sequence - this plane does what most people (myself included) use a jointer (the noisy kind) for.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Been trying to find one of these (Stanley 40) for some time but most I saw on the bay were too much, at least I though so. I finally caught folks napping late one night and nabbed this one for $50. It is in fairly good shape, the inside of the plane still has about 98%+ japanning and the tote and knob were in good shape though the finish was shot. I didn't spend an inordinate amount of time on the tote and knob, just hand sanded it and put some arm r seal and one coat of lacquer. I thought I might go back and re-do it later. The blade was in good shape however I did hone it a little. I will have to learn how to camber it correctly but for now, it seems to cut fairly well. I know one thing, you can't set it too deep or you won't be doing any scrubbing, you will be too tired from grunting.:lol: :lol:

Mike D. , it isn't a double exposure but rather a layered pic. Just playing around and wallah. :lol: I thought it really looked cool so hence the little game thingy. Notice my avatar..... I will keep it for a while but will go back to my baby soon. She can't be replaced.

Mike

Mike

Monty

New User
Monty
I know one thing, you can't set it too deep or you won't be doing any scrubbing, you will be too tired from grunting.:lol: :lol:

Hehehe... you've gotta love it! This really is for the hard-core hand tool junkies. ;) One thing to point out to those who don't know about scrubs - as I understand it this blade is supposed to cut the wood fibers like a carving chisel, not plane the surface.... so the direction of cut is straight across the grain, not with the grain or diagonally.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Nice score Michael :icon_thum I have been checking them out on eBay and they are to rich for my blood. When I am able to get around I will start checking garage sale and thrift stores

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
This is a good price, and a nice plane.
For using it, I think one move the plane at 45-deg,
not with, not across, but 45-deg.
It is used for quick removal, both surface and edge,
say, you want a quick 1/4" off the edge of a 1"
board, this plane will do the job quickly.

As for the camber, you can try a CD-ROM as the
template.

I have a #40, earlier type (for definition, check
out the B&G), and I found that I cannot clamp
the blade tight enough to keep it from move
back.
I have a woodie converted (mouth opened,
blade cambered, and better iron, simply sharper,
and hold an edge longer), even if it got some
rough edge with the plane, I like this handmade
woodie one more.

Well, hope you enjoy using this, now you can
start getting rough-sawn lumber...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice score!! You Suck! I'm still in the "Do I make one or do I buy one" mode.
If I understand it, the #40 is a heavy duty version of the #4 without a chip-breaker on the blade, correct? What is the best radius for "scrub" work?
Looks like it will keep the muscles toned up!

I think Mike D is pushin' for a launch lunch at his place!! Wonder what rucus something like that would cause for homeland security!!
:eusa_clapGo

Monty

New User
Monty

That's good to know - it is different than you would typically do with a hand plane. One of these days I'm gonna bite the bullet and get one of these things. I've always been interested in the process of flattening and thicknessing rough stock entirely by hand, but I have not been able to justify buying a scrub plane yet. Maybe if I get lucky and run into the "right" deal.... :eusa_thin

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
The radius of a scrub plane blade can be set to pretty much whatever you like. The radius does not even have to be symmetrical. The radius will have some effect on the aggressiveness of the cut. However, this is a very aggressive plane so that's not saying much. The very open throat also contributes greatly to the action of the plane. The Stanley 40 is not related to the #4 is any way except that they are both Stanley planes. Since the scrub plane is not intended for fine work, there is no reason to have a cap iron or any mechanical adjustment. The plane cuts like a chisel, but then all planes do this because a plane is just a chisel fixed in a holder to regulate the dept and/or width of cut. You generally use the plane at an angle to the grain (usually between 45 and 90 degrees). Once you start to come in line with the grain, you will get major tearout because of the wide mouth and the depth of cut. $50 is a great price for these planes. I am not sure why they are so expensive on Ebay. I tried to find some for my Rough to Ready planing classes, but no go! One thing about using these planes is that you should focus on working the board evenly and systematically because you can very quickly take off wood! You might be surprised at how quickly you can bring a board to thickness--very useful for those boards wider than your planer!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Yeah.........what Bill said.:-D I had the pleasure of taking his "rough to ready" class and that #40 scrub worked like a champ when used to remove wood in a hurry. Great score Mike.:icon_thum I tried to find one at the MWTCA meeting this past Summer and I could not find one for under $80 so you got a great deal on it.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS