Latest wood report from the BORG

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan04

New User
Josh
I will have a lot of lumber to move and dry in the near future... I really have no idea how much I got them to cut down, but there are at least 7 white oaks of 2-4ft diameter, and others like red oak, persimmon, cherry, beech, poplar, ash, etc. I am not going to have the room to dry it all :) I will probably be offering up a tremendous amount to locals or trading wood for drying room :)

I guess I could get it all kiln dried :p

Nativespec

New User
David
I went to the Rehab Center for Habitat just to look. They were selling reclaimed red oak with nail holes (previously floor joists) for $2 a board foot (sitting out in the rain). Seemed a bit high to me.

David

jimwill48

James
Us poor guys here in downstate (Charlotte/Mooresville) area just drools when we see these lumber runs you have up North. Is there any possiblity of anyone making a run to this area once in a while?

James

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I went to the Rehab Center for Habitat just to look. They were selling reclaimed red oak with nail holes (previously floor joists) for $2 a board foot (sitting out in the rain). Seemed a bit high to me.

David

David,

I'd be happy to pass the comment along to the marketing manager at the ReStore.

Ray

J

jeff...

Wow the BORG wood thread is poplar, but I forgot to check the price on BORG poplar.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Everyone please note that we can not a wood run at the picnic this year.:cry_smile:cry_smile:cry_smile

J

jeff...

1x3-8' KD FAS S4S poplar is about $3.88 a BF. :slap:

I very happy my poplar I got from you back last year 3-11-07 is dry! :gar-Bi

Chad that's awesome - I went back and looked at the thread (lumber run #5) http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7068 :tongue100:. I really enjoyed those custom cut to order lumber runs. It would be cool to start up green lumber runs again. Let me pull some prices for various species together and I'll post them see if there is any interest. There is a lot I can offer since my mill is still parked out at the log yard.

Thanks

cskipper

Cathy
I suspect that we can't do a wood run at the picnic because the larger group will probably require a larger shelter and a less private parking lot. As for getting great wood from Jeff and Scott at the runs - you bet it's a great value. Getting to HF in Raleigh early on a Sunday a.m. from Forest City is always unlikely. Sometimes I luck into someone who lives between here and there to get mine and I'll get it from them. If I am the one wanting the wood you have to realize that an 8' board 8" wide and 5/4 will last me quite a while for scrolling, so I don't need large quantities and we don't have room to store large quantities. However, LOML has been known to "thieve :lol:" some of my wood - which then becomes my gorgeous coffee and end tables. Certainly no loss to me, but does take anticipation on my part to be sure I grab enough for myself!:lol:

When we want to get great wood more locally we go to Kyle's. Heck, we'll head down there occasionally even if we don't "really need" wood, just to say hi and see what he has available. I am relatively sure we always buy. He's certainly close enough for you Charlotte area folks. If you live more toward Asheville and can get there during the week, there is a great mill in Swannanoa. Unfortunately they are no longer open on Saturdays.

If we buy at WC or other wwing store, it's because they have exactly what we need and we don't need much of it.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Everyone please note that we can not a wood run at the picnic this year.:cry_smile:cry_smile:cry_smile

I might get shot for this suggestion but it never hurts to ask. Sorry Steve. I can see the State of NC frowning on a wood sale on park property. Rita and Dick's place is just down the road. Rita and Dick do you think Crosswinds Marine would mind a trailer full of wood parked at your place for a few hours and a few folks sorting through it.

Just a thought.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Scott, We will have to go and beg the management to see if we could use some place around the marina for the wood exchange. worth a try anyway. Still can have a shop tour.
dick

titan04

New User
Josh
QS Oak, no other way to cut it :tongue100:

All the wood is in Statesville now... the logs that is, most that I had marked have been cut down but none have been milled yet. Have to wait for more money before I can do that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors